The discovery thread!
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #99,316 of 100,319
It shimmers! It sparkles like a teenage vampire!
You mean the one that was hundreds of years old? 🤣
1000019818.jpg

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #99,317 of 100,319
I just listened to the Beats & Pieces Big Band's All Inn album on CCA Trio. I have to respectfully acknowledge that these 27€ IEMs handle the complex passages of overlapping jazz big band winds with unexpected ease. Not once did the sound get drowned out, individual instrument sections were not lost at all, and yet the sound retained the punch of a speeding train. Those IEMs didn't lose control of the content being played for a moment and still made it a real musical experience as well. It wasn't the most analytical rendition, but musically it was absolutely fine. This has never happened to me before with KZ/CCA. I don't get it...

P.S. I'm already hyping the Trio theme here more than FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 😂🖖

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #99,318 of 100,319
Friday Morning thoughts as I sip on my coffee:

HiBy R4: I will buy this the second it goes for sale. My Tempotec V6 is on life support. I basically live on HiBy's R4 product page, waiting.

i\o audio Volare: Tempting but going to wait for (more) reviews before diving into this one unless the consensus is that this is a panty dropper and rush to buy buy buy. There are so many exciting offerings coming in the near future.

Trio: Still loving this set and still can't decide on if I like UDUD or DUDU better.

iFi Zen DAC 3: I see that this just recently came out! There isn't any reason for me to upgrade from my Zen Air DAC but there are a lot of nice upgrades here for the price, if we compare the previous models. It's a shame I just replaced my Zen Air DAC a few months ago due to failure, I would have picked up the new one.

Moondrop Dusk: Mine should be here in a few days, how exciting. :smile_cat:

Moondrop Cosmo: So tempting, waiting on reviews for this bad boy. I absolutely LOVE the PARA and next to the XS is one of the best planar headphones in my collection. The only bad remark I have for the PARA is that the sub and mid bass is a little underwhelming, even after double iFi Xbass boosts but it's serviceable. I'm looking to see what the Cosmo can do to satisfy my bass needs.

iFi Go Bar Kensei: Would absolutely buy this as we all know I love iFi but the form factor, cost and power doesn't interest me, especially when something like the iFi iDSD Signature exists which blends portable and desktop for much cheaper, often times can be had for $299 which is insane. I would love to see K2HD make it to the Zen, NEO and iDSD series. I have had my eye on the NEO 2 for awhile but perhaps it is time to wait and see what happens with K2HD.

ISN-Audio-T-OCC: Nice looking cable. I'm torn wishing it had a modular option.

Schiit Audio: Been playing with Magni Heretic and Magni Unity. Fantastic little amps. I can't believe the Heretic and 3+ is on sale/closeout for $60. These amps are a no brainer over stuff like the Liquid Spark and I am not sure if there is anything else in the budget that comes close. I have not directly compared the two Magni's on the same DAC yet. I do have the DAC module outfitted in my Unity. I kind of want to try JDS labs stuff but I am all budget tier amped out at the moment with these new additions and what I already have.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #99,319 of 100,319
Friday Morning thoughts as I sip on my coffee:

HiBy R4: I will buy this the second it goes for sale. My Tempotec V6 is on life support. I basically live on HiBy's R4 product page, waiting.

i\o audio Volare: Tempting but going to wait for (more) reviews before diving into this one unless the consensus is that this is a panty dropper and rush to buy buy buy. There are so many exciting offerings coming in the near future.

Trio: Still loving this set and still can't decide on if I like UDUD or DUDU better.

iFi Zen DAC 3: I see that this just recently came out! There isn't any reason for me to upgrade from my Zen Air DAC but there are a lot of nice upgrades here for the price, if we compare the previous models. It's a shame I just replaced my Zen Air DAC a few months ago due to failure, I would have picked up the new one.

Moondrop Dusk: Mine should be here in a few days, how exciting. :smile_cat:

Moondrop Cosmo: So tempting, waiting on reviews for this bad boy. I absolutely LOVE the PARA and next to the XS is one of the best planar headphones in my collection. The only bad remark I have for the PARA is that the sub and mid bass is a little underwhelming, even after double iFi Xbass boosts but it's serviceable. I'm looking to see what the Cosmo can do to satisfy my bass needs.

iFi Go Bar Kensei: Would absolutely buy this as we all know I love iFi but the form factor, cost and power doesn't interest me, especially when something like the iFi iDSD Signature exists which blends portable and desktop for much cheaper, often times can be had for $299 which is insane. I would love to see K2HD make it to the Zen, NEO and iDSD series. I have had my eye on the NEO 2 for awhile but perhaps it is time to wait and see what happens with K2HD.

ISN-Audio-T-OCC: Nice looking cable. I'm torn wishing it had a modular option.

Schiit Audio: Been playing with Magni Heretic and Magni Unity. Fantastic little amps. I can't believe the Heretic and 3+ is on sale/closeout for $60. These amps are a no brainer over stuff like the Liquid Spark and I am not sure if there is anything else in the budget that comes close. I have not directly compared the two Magni's on the same DAC yet. I do have the DAC module outfitted in my Unity. I kind of want to try JDS labs stuff but I am all budget tier amped out at the moment with these new additions and what I already have.
Your the 2nd person to ask about the modular option. From what I know about that the plugs were deliberately chosen for their characteristics for sound. When looking at the plug it seems to look like a common gold plated copper plug but it is using Penons OFC plug which is a bit different in what it does vs standard copper plugs. Besically it was designed that way to add to the other copper elements of this cable. I think if enough people chime in on that on the cable threads they could always go with a modular option but one of the reasons why the T-OCC cable performs like it does is due to the plugs and connectors on them. They are excellent cables by the way.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #99,320 of 100,319
Delci is a nice iem, no doubt. I dig it and have both. Fair assessment. Trio has something weird about it I can't put my finger on, it's like death or channel imbalance.
The included cable on mine was not soldered properly on right side. I had to press it now and then to make proper contact. Swapped to a tripowin cable today and its all good. I also feel like, mids have a bit more air with the tripowin cable.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #99,321 of 100,319
Sure, my AS24 is on the way but so far, I have not owned or tried earbuds with tuning switches... seeing that I wish that the new Symphony had some switches to reduce the bass on an otherwise stellar IEM, I think tuning switches are a boon, especially for people like me who use them for streaming music from apps that don't support EQ. [told you I'm no professional audiophile haha.]
Just tried the Symphony with NiceHCK Black Cat and Spiral Dots. Bass is tighter and the overall balance is very good. The Symphony is both tip- and cable-sensitive. Worth some rolling to get the most out of it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #99,322 of 100,319
Your the 2nd person to ask about the modular option. From what I know about that the plugs were deliberately chosen for their characteristics for sound. When looking at the plug it seems to look like a common gold plated copper plug but it is using Penons OFC plug which is a bit different in what it does vs standard copper plugs. Besically it was designed that way to add to the other copper elements of this cable. I think if enough people chime in on that on the cable threads they could always go with a modular option but one of the reasons why the T-OCC cable performs like it does is due to the plugs and connectors on them. They are excellent cables by the way.
I've been on a modular cable kick lately, it's a nice to have feature but definitely not a deal breaker as adapters are cheap as dirt and I have no shortage. T-OCC is certainly a nice looking cable.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #99,324 of 100,319
Hey guys! Been a while I sifted through Head-fi properly, including this thread. How's everyone doing? :relaxed:

Just published a review of 3 IEMs that I think some here might like to read about. This is my article of Oriveti's 2024 Lineup – OD100 (1DD), OD200 (1DD) and OH700VB (1DD + 6BA hybrid) IEMs. Included are detailed impressions, graphs and comparisons with some of the popular IEMs in those price segments. Let me know if you have any questions for me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #99,325 of 100,319
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned by the rush of models into the market with tuning switches? The fad du jour?

Sure, switches give users more choices for tuning. But I fear that some companies releasing models with switches will get lazy with tuning decisions in the rush to market, thinking: "Ah, f*ck it. Just let the customer rub out that spike or elevate that dip with the switches."

I'm also an avid video gamer, and the dawn of all-online gaming about 20 years ago started an era in which many publishers release half-baked or unfinished games due to market and stock price pressure, knowing they can issue a bunch of post-release patches to fix the game. It's annoying as hell and leads to sloppy coding.

I fear the same with tuning of IEMs with switches by some companies, especially those that churn out new releases like a factory spitting out thousands of shower curtain rings per day. (Ode to Del Griffith of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles!") :)
It's only new to IEMs. Speakers have been using these tuning switches for decades. Was much more widespread in the 70s and 80s, but still common enough.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #99,326 of 100,319
Indeed! I am keeping the case. Giving the iem to a friend.

1000067040.jpg
can you buy this case separately or is there another case that is very very similar in size? I keep finding ones too big or too small.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #99,327 of 100,319
Mid fi battle is heating up guys. I got the opportunity to purchase an Elysian Pilgrim early in exchange for promotion work. I'll be reviewing the heck out of it. Dusk is coming soon it's like 90 miles away!

Also, I think we might be seeing some stuff from Aful at the end of the month. Stay tuned. When I hear more, I'll you awesome people know.
Oh man can't wait for your impressions, any teasers?

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #99,328 of 100,319
Yes the Penon Liqueur tips (orange ones) boost the lower bass (20 - 60 Hz) with this IEM. Quite subtle but in a quiet place (where sub-bass is better heard), you can tell this lowest frequency band is a bit more rumbly and extended.

It doesn't touch the mid-bass (60 - 200 Hz) much, more of the sub-bass (20 - 60 Hz). So no increase in mid-bass punch/thump.

Once again, we are referring to the Orange variant of these tips, the black ones are more balanced and less bassy.
Thanks for your answer! So, the vocals and treble also benefit?

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #99,329 of 100,319
Apr 19, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #99,330 of 100,319

Users who are viewing this thread

Back