The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #91,051 of 101,724
Hmm, not a bad price for Hype 4...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806080201522.html

Thieaudio Hype 4 AliExpress.jpg

5% off - $9 AE spend & save - $45 off $300 code WNTR45 = $325.05 before taxes.

$73.95 off retail price of a brand new release.

Just need to wait over a month to get it and there's still no reviews of it yet.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #91,052 of 101,724
I don't think the upcoming BQEYZ Mist will be very popular in Germany. "Mist" in German means "dung".
Most of the brands out of there creating this chaotic name selections, confusing everyone. Different names for each series that you lose the track after sometimes to what price bracket particular modeling belongs to.

It's stupid that brands are not using simplified version. Maybe from this confusion they managed to get more attention and hype from the customers. That doesn't work on me.

I'd create different divisions and categorize them whatever particular technology going into the iems such as DD, Hybrid, Tribid, Planar whatever. That would help with emphasizing the brand name. For example, when people wanna talk about Moondrop Aria, they don't use Moondrop they just use straight model name Aria.

If you use a consistent naming, that would help with your branding shine even more assuming you release really good consistent competitive products.

XBrand DD A1 for example would indicate that the model uses single dynamic A tier(which is top) and 1st version. I'd create B and C divisions if they're releasing into the different budget segments.

So If I said XBrand Hybrid B2. That'd be easily understood that it's a hybrid series headphones, from middle B segment, and it's second release probably a retuned version. And everyone would need to mention brand name to emphasize.

If a brand releases iems with different name like 'XBrand Ultramega Extravaganza', that doesn't ring any bell for me.

Maybe the naming system above would be problematic if more brands use it of course. For example I like Final Audio when it comes to this. Maybe the letters they use a little confusing at first like series A, E, Z. But they're consistent.

They have A3000 then A4000. I'd clearly understand with A4000 they're aiming better performance. Then you have A8000 which is a kilobuck iem and it's clearly above A3000, 4000, 5000. It also seems like they give a rating to each out of 10. Assuming 10 would be the best performing, I'd say A8000 is pretty much close to what they aim as the best 8/10. Of course I exclude the subjectivity here that smb might prefer A4000 over A5000 due to its more bass character if this person has different taste leaning towards more A4000. But there's consistency in their lines that I should definitely admit. I have tws Ze3000 and they have newer version Ze8000 which clearly indicates me that it's better Ze3000 and indeed it's better.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #91,053 of 101,724
I'd create different divisions and categorize them whatever particular technology going into the iems such as DD, Hybrid, Tribid, Planar whatever. That would help with emphasizing the brand name. For example, when people wanna talk about Moondrop Aria, they don't use Moondrop they just use straight model name Aria.

There are actually many Moondrop "Arias" floating about!

1) The very very first original Aria was actually a bullet-shaped set - https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ube-composite-diaphragm-line-type-in-earphone - but this flew under the radar.

2) Thereafter, we had the more recognizable Aria 2021, which was one of the benchmarks for a CHIFI single DD in 2021. It was appreciated by consumers for good tonal balance and timbre, though there were issues with the paint chipping/bubbling, which is still a meme on some audio forums today.

3) This was followed by the Aria Snow, which was a bit thinner sounding than the Aria 2021, and it had equivocal reviews.

4) There was an exclusive Elven Maiden (Hatsune Miku) variant for Otaku fans - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002540674378.html.

5) Lastly, we have the recently released Aria 2, which TBH is a sidegrade and doesn't give much value add.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #91,054 of 101,724
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #91,055 of 101,724
There are actually many Moondrop "Arias" floating about!

1) The very very first original Aria was actually a bullet-shaped set - https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ube-composite-diaphragm-line-type-in-earphone - but this flew under the radar.

2) Thereafter, we had the more recognizable Aria 2021, which was one of the benchmarks for a CHIFI single DD in 2021. It was appreciated by consumers for good tonal balance and timbre, though there were issues with the paint chipping/bubbling, which is still a meme on some audio forums today.

3) This was followed by the Aria Snow, which was a bit thinner sounding than the Aria 2021, and it had equivocal reviews.

4) There was an exclusive Elven Maiden (Hatsune Miku) variant for Otaku fans - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002540674378.html.

5) Lastly, we have the recently released Aria 2, which TBH is a sidegrade and doesn't give much value add.
Oh boy. I'm lost :D

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #91,056 of 101,724
I don't think the upcoming BQEYZ Mist will be very popular in Germany. "Mist" in German means "dung".
And also translate as manure as it was also part of farmer's term on fertiliser.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #91,057 of 101,724
A bit off:

(as my memory servers me) William Gibson in his 3rd book of his 1st trilogy (Mona Lisa Overdrive) has a very side character whose work is to find company names for international use (for the sole reason not to have a rude/inappropriate word in about any language). That book is written AFAIK in 1988.

The naming of Mazda MR2 or Mitsubishi Pajero is familar sounding to anyone ?

Seeing this kind of mistake in 2023 is very weird (and very bad "living in the past" feeling) for me.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #91,058 of 101,724
A bit off:

(as my memory servers me:) William Gibson in his 3rd book of his 1st trilogy (Mona Lisa Overdrive) has a very side character whose work is to find company names for international use (for the sole reason not to have a rude/inappropriate word in about any language). That book is written AFAIK in 1988.

The naming of Mazda MR2 or Mitsubishi Pajero is familar sounding to anyone ?

Seeing this kind of mistake in 2023 is very weird (and very bad "living in the past" feeling) for me.
The Mitsubushi Montero line here in the Philippines was marketed before as Pajero. Thats why some of my aunts, uncles and grandparents who were fluent in Spanish are quite amusing on the naming scheme. Pajero means w***er or t***er :D

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #91,059 of 101,724
The Mitsubushi Montero line here in the Philippines was marketed before as Pajero. Thats why some of my aunts, uncles and grandparents who were fluent in Spanish are quite amusing on the naming scheme. Pajero means w***er or t***er :D
In Britain there was a car named the "Triumph Acclaim". The German translation would be "Seig Heil". Probably not the best choice.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #91,060 of 101,724
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #91,061 of 101,724
In true Spanish style - you have this issue everytime you ask for a drink with a straw also: Pajita = drinking straw.

(it's a little better than the whole chicken & d*ck issue English people constantly have when speaking Spanish poorly or the issues they have when saying "ohh it's hot today" being interpreted as "I am horny today")

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #91,063 of 101,724
In Britain there was a car named the "Triumph Acclaim". The German translation would be "Seig Heil". Probably not the best choice.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #91,064 of 101,724
Yeah, a car model from British Leyland, I think.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #91,065 of 101,724
The German translation would be "Seig Heil". Probably not the best choice.
Hmm, there are headphones, as you know, Neumann NDH30 or 20 models, but in my country, they would be very unpopular in certain circles while in others they would be very much praised.
It's related to the "seig heil" you wrote. :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back