The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #91,081 of 104,621
I hope I did not cause any offence, I was continuing the theme of inappropriate naming of products.
OH, NO!! Absolutely not...these things are funny, just like names. I just had one example (NDH30), too, which fits perfectly to the theme, so I mentioned
No worries. Enjoy!

BTW, I am exploring some IEMS. It's quite an unknown territory for me, unlike headphones. I want to buy a more serious pair but not too expensive.
I have a few on my list for now:

- Hidizs M145
- Thieaudio Elixir
- DUNU Falcon Ultra
- Thieaudio Hype 4
- Simgot EA1000
- Final B2

The list will likely continue as I see recommendations.

I have CCA CRA, Sennheiser IE200 (amazing fit and I prefer them among others), 7Hz Salinotes Dioko (not the greatest fit, actually terrible ), Salinotes Zero...
I like them all. I use them for walks, and they fit perfectly; don't need anything better for that occasion.
But now, I want to buy something above these for listening at home.

For a start, I would like a pair with a nice punchy bass that doesn't need to be too deep but is stronger with good resolution.
IE200 is not bad in that compartment, but I'd like something more...

Also, it would be great if they had nice mids and trebles, not too bright but not too warm, and that overall sound was distinctively better than those I had.

Which IEMS would fit the best from the list in this category ($200-$400) or others that I didn't mention.
Or are there some that cost a bit more than my limit but are also much better than those from the list?

Recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #91,082 of 104,621
OH, NO!! Absolutely not...these things are funny, just like names. I just had one example (NDH30), too, which fits perfectly to the theme, so I mentioned
No worries. Enjoy!

BTW, I am exploring some IEMS. It's quite an unknown territory for me, unlike headphones. I want to buy a more serious pair but not too expensive.
I have a few on my list for now:

- Hidizs M145
- Thieaudio Elixir
- DUNU Falcon Ultra
- Thieaudio Hype 4
- Simgot EA1000
- Final B2

The list will likely continue as I see recommendations.

I have CCA CRA, Sennheiser IE200 (amazing fit and I prefer them among others), 7Hz Salinotes Dioko (not the greatest fit, actually terrible ), Salinotes Zero...
I like them all. I use them for walks, and they fit perfectly; don't need anything better for that occasion.
But now, I want to buy something above these for listening at home.

For a start, I would like a pair with a nice punchy bass that doesn't need to be too deep but is stronger with good resolution.
IE200 is not bad in that compartment, but I'd like something more...

Also, it would be great if they had nice mids and trebles, not too bright but not too warm, and that overall sound was distinctively better than those I had.

Which IEMS would fit the best from the list in this category ($200-$400) or others that I didn't mention.
Or are there some that cost a bit more than my limit but are also much better than those from the list?

Recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

Cheers!
You can take one for the team and go with Hype4 :dt880smile: ThieAudio almost always tune their IEMs similarly nowadays, so you can expect the similar-ish tonality with slightly less upper midrange glare than the Zero and slightly less midbass fullness than the IE200. Afaik, the Hype4 is “studio flat” while the Hype10 is “fun”.

Falcon Ultra is solid allrounder with two interpretations of “neutral” in the box. Dunu’s accessories are legendary.

Or maybe try the HiSenior that @listenerwww reviewed.

I would remove the Final B2 from the list. If you want a single BA, I recommend the MagicOne instead (my review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aful-magicone.26804/review/32389/). IMHO, the only good one in Final B series is the B3.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #91,083 of 104,621
Oriveti OH700VB deserves a lot of praise. The bass on it is monstrous. It has quite nice and fun tuning. I have put up a review here. I hope it resonates with the folks who have tried these iems.

IMG_8825.jpeg

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #91,084 of 104,621
Anyone got or getting the BGVP DMA?

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #91,085 of 104,621
I thought hard about the EA1000 but went with the Wind. I am giving serious consideration to the Timsok iem. Treble doesn't bother me as much as many. But I need an iem to handle complex music that has a lot going on. The Mest Mark 2 is such an iem.
I've seen people mention that some IEMs can't handle complex music well, but I haven't really come across any tracks that have a lot going on where I feel an IEM sounds bad. Do you have any examples of certain parts of tracks that I can test with?

Pula PA01

These arrived today, and look every bit as gorgeous as I hoped. Initially the sound was a little dark and muddy until I found the right tips and cable. For me that was Spring tips & NickHCK SuperBlue cable, but it isn’t hard to improve on the stock setup. They might still change over the early hours of playback - I’ll edit this post if they do.

With the right setup the sound is decent, warm and with a nice timbre. It doesn’t do badly against other modern sets, but I’d not recommend it over the XSL X-One, Juzear Clear, and other top tier recent releases. Unless you are a sucker for a pretty IEM. Like me.
Those faceplates look trippy like the EE Odin and Odyssey. Love 'em. Hopefully they end up sounding better with the right setup.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #91,086 of 104,621
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #91,087 of 104,621
Quattro has arrived.

Penon Quattro.jpg

Penon Quattro-4.jpg

Penon Quattro-3.jpg

Penon Quattro-1.jpg

Penon Quattro-2.jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #91,088 of 104,621
I've seen people mention that some IEMs can't handle complex music well, but I haven't really come across any tracks that have a lot going on where I feel an IEM sounds bad. Do you have any examples of certain parts of tracks that I can test with?

Those faceplates look trippy like the EE Odin and Odyssey. Love 'em. Hopefully they end up sounding better with the right setup.
More examples involving headphones than iems.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #91,089 of 104,621
Try this one:

How easy is it to separate two cellos from each other? Can you pin point where they are? Can you separate the soloist cellos from the string section? Can you separate cellos from contrabass in the string section? Now pay attention to the orchestra. Do they sound like a mushed blob of sound that is harmonious, or you can separate and follow individual instruments if you want to? Do you hear one blob of violin sound or many violins playing together to form a violin section? Now zoom into each instruments. How much details and texture can you hear? At what point do you feel like you run into a wall and no matter how hard you try or how loud you listen, you cannot get more details out the instruments? This is what I sometimes call "inner detail" or "true resolution." Brighter tuning can fake it to some degree, but ultimately there is always a trade off.

Also try this one:

There is nothing to analyse here. Just want to share the talent. There is always a younger Asian out-Asian you :cry:

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #91,090 of 104,621
They really are not bad. So long as you go in knowing that they are good for the price but not top tier, you shouldn’t be disappointed. The faceplates have real shine and texture in the resin. Much nicer than my pictures show.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #91,091 of 104,621
Pula PA01
IMG_3193.jpeg
These arrived today, and look every bit as gorgeous as I hoped. Initially the sound was a little dark and muddy until I found the right tips and cable. For me that was Spring tips & NickHCK SuperBlue cable, but it isn’t hard to improve on the stock setup. They might still change over the early hours of playback - I’ll edit this post if they do.

With the right setup the sound is decent, warm and with a nice timbre. It doesn’t do badly against other modern sets, but I’d not recommend it over the XSL X-One, Juzear Clear, and other top tier recent releases. Unless you are a sucker for a pretty IEM. Like me.

IMG_3196.jpeg
Good choice on the NiceHCK SuperBlue cable as far as aesthetics.

The faceplate is using a material that Jeffrey from Hi-Fri Audio had posted about on Facebook.
He was considering different materials and patterns to use on his IEMs and this was one of them.
Apparently, the green version is called "Dragon Burl."

<<<Fingers crossed>>> my Barcelona is supposed to come with this as the faceplate along with a clear resin shell.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #91,092 of 104,621
When you say "excellent resolution" and "lots of micro details" is there a specific song that really highlights this, and makes it obvious that the EA1000 is superior in this sense to some lower priced IEMs?

Whenever I compare IEMs, as long as both are decent, I can tell they sound different, but can't really pinpoint the reason that one is higher quality and/or higher priced.
For example, EA1000 vs Tin HiFi T3 Plus. Is there a song that makes it obvious that the EA1000 has better resolution & micro details?
yes...lot of tracks but im a bit messy person even in music listening, for review i use shuffle of my whole collection (to cover near all music style possible)....i will try to be more organize in 2024 and make a proper playlist i can share...i tend t listen obsessively to same album too, so i know every subtelities very well....their no do it all track ....

for ex, this one will be for attack speed and control mostly, not for mids since part few sax part their nothing, for mid punch and definition it ok too, as well as micro details in complex percussions part, lot of IEM will just render half of cymbals....

listening to this track, i can confirm Butastur i use doesnt have very edgy attack, nor very brilliant and sparkly treble, but can keep macro dynamic without going muddy too...or splashy.

this isnt the most complex track, quite minimalist in number of instruments

T3plus have ''crunchier'' treble too me, less snappy and sparkly than EA1000....tbh EA1000 is miles ahead of it.

at they end, its when you enter critical listening mode that difference become more evident with similar signature i mean...i can enjoy music laid back too...i wish this critical awareness dont spy my music too sometime lol

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #91,093 of 104,621
listening to this track, i can confirm Butastur i use doesnt have very edgy attack, nor very brilliant and sparkly treble, but can keep macro dynamic without going muddy too...or splashy.
Butastur has "on-demand-resolusion", like an experienced samurai does not flaunt his skill, but does his job calmly and efficiently.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #91,094 of 104,621
I remember @Ace Bee brought a Butastur one day. I was so thrilled to find the amazing tuning on it. Tuning is the real sauce not the number of drivers in an iem. Surprisingly the bass on it was really good for an all BA iem. It’s one of those rare iems that delivers way above it's price range.

IMG_8198.jpeg

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #91,095 of 104,621
Forteza arrived - box has a printing error on the side lol

IMG_8167.jpeg

IMG_8168.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back