The discovery thread!
Apr 1, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #75,466 of 101,343
Hi folks,

Just started a YouTube channel (since my colleagues told me that no one bothers to read 4000 words reviews nowadays :beyersmile: ) The first video is unboxing of the Hidizs MS5. Please have a look and let me know how it goes.

The 7Hz Legato should be on my desk some time next week. I think many of you would be more interested in that one than this Hidizs one.

Yep...the music is a bit tooooo much.

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #75,467 of 101,343
Congrats bro!! Please remember us when you are famous haha.

I think the younger generation prefer videos to written reviews. Though for videos I find it hard to skip to a part where I am interested to read, sometimes it necessitates one to watch thru some boring parts we ain't interested to see.

I think videos would require investment in a good video can and mic and lighting. So some necessary expenditure to start the videos rolling.

Youtube seems to have some algorithm to pay the reviewer, more clicks and views of course = more $. Seems longer than ten min videos also makes more cash than a short one.

I spoke to two audio gear youtube reviewers - one just starting out with a small fanbase, the other more established and one of the bigger names. The former gets about $9 usd a month, the other gets $200 usd!

All the best with this, will go give u some clicks too!

Thanks mate!

I didn’t think about the money aspect, actually. I was wondering if it would be faster to get review out if I can explain it verbally through video format.

Good luck with your channel friend...I'm sure you will be a credit to the HiFi community. Regarding the Legato, if you can give them a few days burn in you will be doing them a lot more justice. I saw a box opening/review that was jumping the gun regarding the 7HZ Legato's sound. They definitely sound a LOT different after about 40 hours.

I have been preparing myself to review Legato as the basshead replacement for the E5000, my of my favourite IEMs. Will take my time.

I like your reviews with 4K words or even more
if you want.

I intend to keep the written reviews. I personally like to skim to get the points, and I can’t skim videos :dt880smile:

I’m probably deranged, but somehow that music reminds me of strippers and stripper-poles?
Yep...the music is a bit tooooo much.

Thanks for the feedback! I can see why hifigo just throw a piano soundtrack on any of their unboxing videos.

Leaving the thread to proper discovery topics now.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #75,468 of 101,343
Hi folks,

Just started a YouTube channel (since my colleagues told me that no one bothers to read 4000 words reviews nowadays :beyersmile: ) The first video is unboxing of the Hidizs MS5. Please have a look and let me know how it goes.

The 7Hz Legato should be on my desk some time next week. I think many of you would be more interested in that one than this Hidizs one.

You are going to get these graphed up at some point, right?

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #75,469 of 101,343
I prefer a written review with pics than any video. Videos are such a waste of time.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #75,470 of 101,343
I prefer a written review with pics than any video. Videos are such a waste of time.
Absolutely! I rarely watch the tube, only if I absolutely must, so I am happily unaware of zeos and similar characters out there :)

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #75,471 of 101,343
A few more comments on the 7HZ Legato. Over time these do change quite dramatically. Any original fuzziness disappears after a few hours, but they gain clarity and musicality rapidly around 40 hours burn 🔥. Separation, soundstage, spaciousness and musicality become more apparent. The sound does gain a lot more . Bass cleans up, but is still huge. The Legato is much better after many hours than when put in the ears at first. A surprising IEM.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #75,472 of 101,343
On a subject of discoveries (of the old, if not ancient), I have received Ultimate Ears single-BA 600 vi, thanks to @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2
UE600 sound very competitive for 12+ year-old IEM. I also got Nicehck X49 for a change with the cable order - surprisingly decent.
20230401_080949.jpg

So I will compare it with my other single BAs: KB Neon (the only Knowles, very capable sound that started this exploration of single BAs, but so impractical fit), FloAudio Lily (nice shell, was not overly impressed by the sound so far, but may need more time) and the zesty DSP-driven tiny and shiny Moondrop Droplet.

Then in the plans still to compare Hola vs LinLong vs. ESX vs. Aria vs. HZ Mirror.

While most of my limited time is now trying to work out T800 - more pledges on variable balanced impedance adapters is to follow...

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #75,473 of 101,343
You are going to get these graphed up at some point, right?
Here you go, nearly midnight here in the land down under but I took my coupler out just for you :beyersmile:

MS5_measurements_matching.jpg

Channel matching, overview of the tonal balance, and comparison between ear-gain and bass shelf.

Noted that the treble nozzle, a.k.a., the most spicy configuration is used here.

MS5_measurements_compare.jpg

MS5 vs my U12T.

MS5_measurements_compare_kublaikhan.jpg

MS5 vs Noble Kublai Khan

In general, these are unique IEMs that are not entirely similar to anything. The best way to describe them is "U-shape": big (sub) bass, and strong (mid) treble (8kHz). The midrange is more relaxed than reference tuning (Harman / DF) because the ear-gain is only 5-6dB. Vocals are not recessed or buried under the mix. In some senses, they are kind of similar to the more relaxed midrange of U12T and Andromeda, but warmer than the U12T and cooler than the Andromeda. There is no vocal shoutiness, even with Ed Sheeran's "=" album.

The strong 8kHz region gives this IEM sparkle and stage height (some instruments, even piano notes fly above my head). But, it can emphasise sibilance. It's not a shrill and sibilance feast like my Final A4000, so I am not annoyed by it too much. In some sense, this kind of tuning is reminiscent of both Noble Kublai Khan and Meze Advar. If you love them, you love them. If you hate them, you hate them a lot. I personally love the Advar.

An interesting observation: usually, the ear gain peak is balanced with or higher than bass shelf. With both MS5 and Kublai Khan, the 5-8kHz is the top, matching the top of the bass shelf.

Noted that these are based on the treble nozzle. With the bass nozzle, the entire mid-treble is pulled down by a few dB, changing the entire tonal balance into a warm and more cohesive sound. I like the extra sizzle and details, so I stick to the treble nozzle.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #75,474 of 101,343
A few more comments on the 7HZ Legato. Over time these do change quite dramatically. Any original fuzziness disappears after a few hours, but they gain clarity and musicality rapidly around 40 hours burn 🔥. Separation, soundstage, spaciousness and musicality become more apparent. The sound does gain a lot more . Bass cleans up, but is still huge. The Legato is much better after many hours than when put in the ears at first. A surprising IEM.
Currently burning in, thy do change with different tips too

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #75,475 of 101,343
Here you go, nearly midnight here in the land down under but I took my coupler out just for you :beyersmile:

Channel matching, overview of the tonal balance, and comparison between ear-gain and bass shelf.

Noted that the treble nozzle, a.k.a., the most spicy configuration is used here.

MS5 vs my U12T.

MS5 vs Noble Kublai Khan

In general, these are unique IEMs that are not entirely similar to anything. The best way to describe them is "U-shape": big (sub) bass, and strong (mid) treble (8kHz). The midrange is more relaxed than reference tuning (Harman / DF) because the ear-gain is only 5-6dB. Vocals are not recessed or buried under the mix. In some senses, they are kind of similar to the more relaxed midrange of U12T and Andromeda, but warmer than the U12T and cooler than the Andromeda. There is no vocal shoutiness, even with Ed Sheeran's "=" album.

The strong 8kHz region gives this IEM sparkle and stage height (some instruments, even piano notes fly above my head). But, it can emphasise sibilance. It's not a shrill and sibilance feast like my Final A4000, so I am not annoyed by it too much. In some sense, this kind of tuning is reminiscent of both Noble Kublai Khan and Meze Advar. If you love them, you love them. If you hate them, you hate them a lot. I personally love the Advar.

An interesting observation: usually, the ear gain peak is balanced with or higher than bass shelf. With both MS5 and Kublai Khan, the 5-8kHz is the top, matching the top of the bass shelf.

Noted that these are based on the treble nozzle. With the bass nozzle, the entire mid-treble is pulled down by a few dB, changing the entire tonal balance into a warm and more cohesive sound. I like the extra sizzle and details, so I stick to the treble nozzle.
You are a doll. Thank you kindly!

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #75,476 of 101,343
Nah. I think the grills are plastic because it is not cold to the touch. But it's solid and I couldn't find any gap to pull it out either.

Edit: I think the key point of these IEMs are the U-shaped tuning (think U12T) and high technical performance. I like them quite a bit, but they have strong mid-treble presence that might be troublesome for some listeners.

Re: video: do you prefer "talking head" videos like headphones.com guys or "talking hand" videos like Arkos and others?
I feel I am more sincere when you can see my facial impressions. And I don't care if you think I am ugly. LOL

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #75,477 of 101,343
I have the left-right markings pointing into the IEM and not out (which I found strange),
but both the left-right signals then the phase of the signals are correct.
I also checked with the multimeter
Hmm the cable production QC maybe very unstable for that case. I have a special skill to tell imaging center, so for my case I’m 100% sure the correct phase is L/R indicator facing out, with ear hook directions flipped on right side🤔

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #75,478 of 101,343

MS5 vs my U12T.

MS5 vs Noble Kublai Khan

Great observations thanks. I should stip reading this mine are due to show up soon LOL. I do enjoy others impressions sometimes helps to confirm what I am hearing.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #75,479 of 101,343
Wow, those are some nice looking cables. They look like they costs a few grands, especially the ultra thick one with the cloth sleeve.
Yea DragonScale is a flagship of NiceHCK, if sold by PWA/EA/Satin, I’m sure it will cost 20x. Highly recommendable as cable endgame👏 Can you believe besides Dragonscale (I got it at $125), other cables only cost from $12-31? Averaging to $20🤯.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #75,480 of 101,343
On a subject of discoveries (of the old, if not ancient), I have received Ultimate Ears single-BA 600 vi, thanks to @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2
UE600 sound very competitive for 12+ year-old IEM. I also got Nicehck X49 for a change with the cable order - surprisingly decent.
20230401_080949.jpg
So I will compare it with my other single BAs: KB Neon (the only Knowles, very capable sound that started this exploration of single BAs, but so impractical fit), FloAudio Lily (nice shell, was not overly impressed by the sound so far, but may need more time) and the zesty DSP-driven tiny and shiny Moondrop Droplet.

Then in the plans still to compare Hola vs LinLong vs. ESX vs. Aria vs. HZ Mirror.

While most of my limited time is now trying to work out T800 - more pledges on variable balanced impedance adapters is to follow...
I have 600vi’s old model, super.fi 5 studio, , a single BA. That was first product after Logitech buyout of UE.

Pretty smooth tuned mid-centric, similar to Harman Kardon EP720. Technical spec was nothing special, good points was it was claimed a full range BA would handle full band sound reproduction smoothly and it did as it said, tonal balance is on warmer side.
846FADF8-B18C-4923-AADC-94126433A6AB.jpeg

Looking forward for your cross comparison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back