The discovery thread!
Apr 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #75,496 of 103,439
Already bought...

I'm curious about the BlackSoul... Bought one for the SR5, but it may also pair well with my Timeless OG...
BlackSoul is exquisite. Black x GoldšŸ‘cable is oil-soakek with night sky šŸŒŒ
C9B17DAA-A7CD-4989-BA5D-0D586CC081DD.jpeg
2B8EFF87-F6B0-4BE9-9C42-9BC932F0F6B3.jpeg

Iā€˜m sure if you sell this from Effect Audio, the price will be $1,200 vs $31 genuinely honest offering from NiceHCK.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #75,498 of 103,439
Do you think it can pair well with the Timeless?
Good idea, as Timeless is somewhat borderline spicy dry, BlackSoul will add a warmth to Timeless, makes sure to choose mmcx connector though.

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #75,500 of 103,439
Good idea, as Timeless is somewhat borderline spicy dry, BlackSoul will add a warmth to Timeless, makes sure to choose mmcx connector though.
I already have a NiceHCK BlackCat to test with the Timeless, do you think there will be much sound difference? BTW the Timeless OG paired with SuperBlue + H570 tips it's nothing short of amazing šŸ˜

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-01-18-51-28-34_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-01-18-51-28-34_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #75,501 of 103,439
Got my UE600 vi yesterday and was quite impressed also for what was on offer12 years ago. No deep insertion required to get good sound. Included ear tips are okay, but I seem to get a bit more clarity in the treble and slightly better sound separation by using the much longer nozzle, wide bore Truthear Zero ear tips.
Quick left and right average MiniDSP measurements for FLO Lily and UE600 vi both using Truthear Zero Long Nozzle, Wide Bore Ear Tips. Obviously not super reliable but thought I post for comparisons sake.
FLO Lily and UE600 vi Both With Truthear Zero Long Nozzle, Wide Bore Ear Tips.png
189EF70C-5967-49C7-A2E6-DBE2A1252377.jpeg

Apr 1, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #75,502 of 103,439
I already have a NiceHCK BlackCat to test with the Timeless, do you think there will be much sound difference? BTW the Timeless OG paired with SuperBlue + H570 tips it's nothing short of amazing šŸ˜
BlackSoul has a completely different tuning, from several other source of inputs, so there is very little risk of you having redundant ones. I havenā€™t cable roll on Timeless, maybe itā€™s a good time for Timeless cable rollšŸ˜„šŸ‘

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #75,504 of 103,439
Thanks mate!

I didnā€™t think about the money aspect, actually. I was wondering if it would be faster to get review out if I can explain it verbally through video format.

I have been preparing myself to review Legato as the basshead replacement for the E5000, my of my favourite IEMs. Will take my time.

I intend to keep the written reviews. I personally like to skim to get the points, and I canā€™t skim videos :dt880smile:

Thanks for the feedback! I can see why hifigo just throw a piano soundtrack on any of their unboxing videos.

Leaving the thread to proper discovery topics now.
Editing skills are really important. I recommend you to use a good video editing tool. Costly easy one is Adobe Premier Pro. But if you have time to dig in, you could use DaVinci Resolve as it's free. Sony Vegas pro is there also but much more plain.

A good edited video with interactive transitions, good background music, and visual content will always pull more and more viewers.

I see smb mentioned about the music. I find it right that it's loud. You can make the entry loud but gradually decreasing it to a point where it will follow the viewer like he/she's shopping in a store. Slightly in the background is better.

Definitely make an sophisticated intro with a theme related to the audiophile. You can find free templates or ask smb on a place like fiverr to prepare for you.

If you have good communicating skills, definitely talk. People always like paying attention to a human or human voice. Brief straight to the point videos are the most preferred nowadays. Find the minimum that you can both earn on a video but also keep the viewer's attention span in that good timing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #75,505 of 103,439
First impression of the Simgot EA500 was wooah the clarity, air and separation. Was this only $60?
Been giving them a few hours now and to my ears this is really good stuff. My other sets usually in rotation are Andromeda 2019 and OH10 so I can't compare to any of past years fomo hypertrains. But compared to the above I think the EA500 are brighter but still maintain a smooth and enjoyable listen. Once I sink in to the sound signature I don't want to take them out, just one more tune. Haven't tried the black nozzle yet. Looking forward to some bass modding and trying out different DACs n amps.
20230331_155413-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #75,506 of 103,439
Absolutely! I rarely watch the tube, only if I absolutely must, so I am happily unaware of zeos and similar characters out there :)
That depends on the skills of the person. I've seen so many reviews that are busy with so many unnecessary words which makes the reader overwhelmed. I can read any deep dive scientific paper or sth written si sophisticated. However, I cannot tolerate if the writing skills are not fluid. Adding too many side notes, side parenthesis, or questions/question marks???

Among the youtubers, i like Crinacle, Hbb, Akros and Hi Fri.

Crinacle is mostly quick on describing. Too short smb might even say sometimes. But effective from time saving perspective like his bag series full of IEMs. He uses smb to edit so it goes interactive.

Hbb is a little more detailed talking with the graph. I usually want to see his graph but I also like the room he has so that gives a good unique atmosphere to watch. He takes one single shot adds an intro/outro done. Simple.

Akros is a bit too long but a humble representer. Showing on paper, graph and some other informations. I like his presentation. Idk if that's cruel but it'd be better if he pays a little more attention to his hands, that concerns me each time I watch.

Hifri is digging guy. Sometimes too long video but the issue is also long to describe. I'm glad we have a guy like this dissecting IEMs, enlightening us. Definitely loving his videos.

Probably there are some others I forgot to mention so my apologies.

I think using both written and video reviews help you combine and convey a better vision about the iems that's mho.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #75,507 of 103,439
That depends on the skills of the person. I've seen so many reviews that are busy with so many unnecessary words which makes the reader overwhelmed. I can read any deep dive scientific paper or sth written si sophisticated. However, I cannot tolerate if the writing skills are not fluid. Adding too many side notes, side parenthesis, or questions/question marks???

Crinacle is mostly quick on describing. Too short smb might even say sometimes. But effective from time saving perspective like his bag series full of IEMs. He uses smb to edit so it goes interactive.

Hbb is a little more detailed talking with the graph. I usually want to see his graph but I also like the room he has so that gives a good unique atmosphere to watch. He takes one single shot adds an intro/outro done. Simple.

Akros is a bit too long but a humble representer. Showing on paper, graph and some other informations. I like his presentation. Idk if that's cruel but it'd be better if he pays a little more attention to his hands, that concerns me each time I watch.

Hifri is digging guy. Sometimes too long video but the issue is also long to describe. I'm glad we have a guy like this dissecting IEMs, enlightening us. Definitely loving his videos.

I think using both written and video reviews help you combine and convey a better vision about the iems that's mho.

What most reviewers donā€™t grasp is that the writing is only the FIRST step. The real meat of the art is in EDITING. Thatā€™s why professional editors are always in high demand. A skill at writing does not necessarily translate into a skill for editing and vice versa.

Any writer should give his/her work at least two edit passes after the initial draft is complete. I read far too many reviews that are very clearly and obviously first passes and not really ready for publication, even on established and credible sites.

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #75,509 of 103,439
BlackSoul is exquisite. Black x GoldšŸ‘cable is oil-soakek with night sky šŸŒŒ C9B17DAA-A7CD-4989-BA5D-0D586CC081DD.jpeg2B8EFF87-F6B0-4BE9-9C42-9BC932F0F6B3.jpeg

Iā€˜m sure if you sell this from Effect Audio, the price will be $1,200 vs $31 genuinely honest offering from NiceHCK.

Is the cable easy to handle? The Effect Audio cable that comes with Gaea is a nightmare to roll up for photoshoot.

Editing skills are really important. I recommend you to use a good video editing tool. Costly easy one is Adobe Premier Pro. But if you have time to dig in, you could use DaVinci Resolve as it's free. Sony Vegas pro is there also but much more plain.

A good edited video with interactive transitions, good background music, and visual content will always pull more and more viewers.

I see smb mentioned about the music. I find it right that it's loud. You can make the entry loud but gradually decreasing it to a point where it will follow the viewer like he/she's shopping in a store. Slightly in the background is better.

Definitely make an sophisticated intro with a theme related to the audiophile. You can find free templates or ask smb on a place like fiverr to prepare for you.

If you have good communicating skills, definitely talk. People always like paying attention to a human or human voice. Brief straight to the point videos are the most preferred nowadays. Find the minimum that you can both earn on a video but also keep the viewer's attention span in that good timing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, mate! I use DaVinci Resolve. Had a whole streaming setup here, from the Covid days when my boss wanted us to take advantage of the situation and popularise our research via social media.

I really need to pay more attention to the music choice and mixing.

I usually put on Arkosā€™ videos when I do house work or cooking. I think personality is important. Intended or not, sometimes, we can come across as arrogant.

What most reviewers donā€™t grasp is that the writing is only the FIRST step. The real meat of the art is in EDITING. Thatā€™s why professional editors are always in high demand. A skill at writing does not necessarily translate into a skill for editing and vice versa.

Any writer should give his/her work at least two edit passes after the initial draft is complete. I read far too many reviews that are very clearly and obviously first passes and not really ready for publication, even on established and credible sites.

Good advice! I have Grammarly Pro to pick out issues. Not that it helps, though. Recently, I kept writing bass canon rather than bass ā€œcannonā€. Folks at Reddit had a good laugh.

But I also like to reread the whole article and imagine if I were myself in the early days, would I understand anything I write. Most of the time, I added more explanation or figures for that clueless newbie in my head :dt880smile:

Discovery related: Hidizs MS5 has an insane impedance of 5ohm. One should be extra careful about the source they use to listen and measure. It does not hiss easily like Andromeda, but its frequency response change. I had to use my Apple dongle to measure, as I do not trust the impedance matching of my K7.
@ToneDeafMonk

Apr 1, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #75,510 of 103,439
Is the cable easy to handle? The Effect Audio cable that comes with Gaea is a nightmare to roll up for photoshoot.

Thanks for the advice, mate! I use DaVinci Resolve. Had a whole streaming setup here, from the Covid days when my boss wanted us to take advantage of the situation and popularise our research via social media.

I really need to pay more attention to the music choice and mixing.

I usually put on Arkosā€™ videos when I do house work or cooking. I think personality is important. Intended or not, sometimes, we can come across as arrogant.

Good advice! I have Grammarly Pro to pick out issues. Not that it helps, though. Recently, I kept writing bass canon rather than bass ā€œcannonā€. Folks at Reddit had a good laugh.

But I also like to reread the whole article and imagine if I were myself in the early days, would I understand anything I write. Most of the time, I added more explanation or figures for that clueless newbie in my head :dt880smile:

Discovery related: Hidizs MS5 has an insane impedance of 5ohm. One should be extra careful about the source they use to listen and measure. It does not hiss easily like Andromeda, but its frequency response change. I had to use my Apple dongle to measure, as I do not trust the impedance matching of my K7.
@ToneDeafMonk
Yea itā€™s manageable, as you see it rolls and sits well by itself, some cables are so stiff that you will need cable binder to hold in position.
D3607CA7-BE72-4A93-ACC8-75BAC28B212D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back