The discovery thread!
May 13, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #101,342 of 103,449
Today I tried the TRN Orca again after some time, and I have to say it’s a really solid all-rounder.

Think of it as a Kefine Delci with less sub-bass emphasis and slightly more treble energy. Instead of a DLC driver, it features an LCP one; it has a full metal body, a simple yet peculiar design, and some really effective switches that significantly impact its sound (personally, I prefer TRN’s approach to tuning switches over KZ’s). At full price on AliExpress, it costs around $20, but during sales it can be purchased for around $15 or less.

It’s unfortunate that there isn’t a single review for it on the forum.

HqxmwKS.jpeg
Can't even imagine a sub-bass less Delci tbf !!....once the ST7 arrive I'm expecting a challenge regarding which set garners the most rotation attention?? FIGHT !! :L3000: :deadhorse:

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #101,344 of 103,449
May 13, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #101,345 of 103,449
So...bad news.
I had an accident over the weekend and destroyed the right unit of my MEST Mk1.
It's completely demolished and cannot be repaired.
However, I am very lucky and was able to find a used set.
They are somewhat difficult to obtain these days so I feel fortunate to have been able to replace them.
But as this is now my preferred IEM, I had no choice but to get another pair.
I have bought a TON of mid-fi sets, but am definitely now of the mindset that it's better to have fewer sets and focus on quality over quantity (at least once you know what you prefer).
Anyways, this was my weekend and thought I'd share my experience with all the homies...

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #101,346 of 103,449
I chose the EA500LM with my Hiby R3 II for a morning walk today - what a fantastic combo… incredible how the Simgot sound for less than $100!

IMG_3959.jpeg
This is my daily drive today too. Last night I spent with the Vsonic VS3 (the tonality is a bit off, and the treble extension lacks control, and can be really tizzy, despite it's Simgot or Hifiman RE0 type range of extension, while stage is wide and tall and bass is capable and punchy), after being wow'd even further by the ST7. The ST7 is quickly becoming my favorite budget IEM (but only running from the Sony DAPS + Sansa Fuze), as the Trio still is more pleasing from the other DAPS.

Simgot EA500LM + Sony A55 with no amp and Oriveti modular cable using the GOLD filters. Let's see if it continues to hold it's charm after the ST7?

May 13, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #101,347 of 103,449
FWIW, the MagicOne's are 100% vented. It's just very small. The vent hole is right at the front corner of the IEM at the end of the nautilus structure tube.

1000004653.jpg
Maybe that's the secret ingredient in it's special sauce?! The tiny hole next top the tubing?! LOL

May 13, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #101,348 of 103,449
I did "like" the post...but there's nothing to like there.
Perhaps for the second part of the post, "like" is more convenient.
Still, you have a positive spirit, and that's most important!
Keep on moving!

Cheers!

May 13, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #101,349 of 103,449
Today I tried the TRN Orca again after some time, and I have to say it’s a really solid all-rounder.
HqxmwKS.jpeg

Think of it as a Kefine Delci with less sub-bass emphasis, more mid bass, and slightly more treble energy (this in its default 000 configuration). Instead of a DLC driver, it features an LCP one; it has a full metal body, a simple yet peculiar design, and some really effective switches that significantly impact its sound (personally, I prefer TRN’s approach to tuning switches over KZ’s). At full price on AliExpress, it costs around $20, but during sales it can be purchased for around $15 or less.

TRN Orca
Kefine Delci
Orca 000.jpgDelci.jpg

It’s unfortunate that there isn’t a single review for it on the forum.

EDIT: I added the FR Graphs for the Orca and the Delci. Also, here's an image that explains what the switches do:
TRN Orca TRN.jpg
With how pleased I am with the ST7, this might be something to look into during summer sales, and with my wife's obsession with Orca (I bought her the up-close Orca experience at Sea World), she might enjoy these? Thanks for the share.

May 13, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #101,350 of 103,449
I did "like" the post...but there's nothing to like there.
Perhaps for the second part of the post, "like" is more convenient.
Still, you have a positive spirit, and that's most important!
Keep on moving!

Cheers!
Thanks, bro!
It was a difficult time but thankfully I found a replacement and could actually afford it atm

May 13, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #101,351 of 103,449
There has to be a good story behind this emoji, it smells of ancient Head-Fi history: :deadhorse:
Beating a dead audio horse. Typically in the past added during the old cable wars/arguments or Beats/Skullcandy arguments.

May 13, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #101,352 of 103,449
Bruh 🤣🤣🤣

I was hoping @PixelSquish would respond because I think it might have been me talking to him at the Empire Ear booth.
:darthsmile::beerchug:

Towards the end of Sunday and Elysian had already packed up and left? That was you there? You had some of Marcellus Wallace's traits :)

May 13, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #101,353 of 103,449
With how pleased I am with the ST7, this might be something to look into during summer sales, and with my wife's obsession with Orca (I bought her the up-close Orca experience at Sea World), she might enjoy these? Thanks for the share.
Has it opened much after burn-in, stage etc??...The impact it had on you reminded me of the whirlwind hype surrounding NX7 - obviously a trailblazer set which divided opinion bigtime, as it couldn't be tamed/refined. Hyperbole for the ST7 such as "beautifully smooth and rendered" can similarly be applied to sets like the Delci. That's the essential difference between seminal sets circa 2019, in comparison to now. Budget sets have become the market disruptors, totally shaking up preconceived expectations; being extremely exciting, whilst retaining a sonic level of refinement usually the preserve of mid-fi & above !! :L3000:

May 13, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #101,354 of 103,449
So...bad news.
It's completely demolished and cannot be repaired.
However, I am very lucky and was able to find a used set.
They are somewhat difficult to obtain these days so I feel fortunate to have been able to replace them.
But as this is now my preferred IEM, I had no choice but to get another pair.
I have bought a TON of mid-fi sets, but am definitely now of the mindset that it's better to have fewer sets and focus on quality over quantity (at least once you know what you prefer).
Anyways, this was my weekend and thought I'd share my experience with all the homies...
shoot, hope you’re okay and it’s a shame about your special set. Would do the same thing if anything were to happen with my Szalayi. It’s the perfect sound for me, I’m really glad you were able to replace it.

Best wishes man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back