The discovery thread!
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #44,491 of 99,823
M11 output impedance is 1ohm SE and 2ohm balanced. Not exactly super low, but not super high either.

What tips were you using? And what cable?
The question more what is M11's specified/recommended range of IEM impedance, which is related to the ability to provide clean high current at relatively low voltage needed for T800.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #44,492 of 99,823
M11 output impedance is 1ohm SE and 2ohm balanced. Not exactly super low, but not super high either.

As you can see from these members, there are noticeable sonic changes to the T800 when used with the M11 and some M11 members feel that the M11/T800 isn't exactly the best pairing:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ressions-thread.909718/page-171#post-15284990
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ressions-thread.909718/page-154#post-15239410

I'm not disputing that the M11 isn't a 'good DAP', but only that you may have different/better luck at least trying to pair the T800 with a different source. I see from your profile that you own an ibasso DAP. Perhaps you should pair the T800 with the ibasso and see if you like the results better.

For me, the ES100 makes the T800 sound better than any other source I have. And I know that I’m not alone in that observation, especially with regards to sensitive IEMs:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio-es100.867366/page-372#post-15285435

Also, the T800 is very tip dependent. Some tips make the treble shouty and harsh. What tips were you using? And what cable?
I have used copper.. copper and silver.. and pure silver.. tips I've used silicon..foam.. spirals..etc etc.. I want to like them as the fit is perfect .. I've tried a lot to make them sound good but failed.. I have fh7.. p1s.. tapes and t800 and the t800 is the worst of the lot.. I have a cayin n5ii I could try it but m11 my main driver.. I will eBay them I think

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #44,493 of 99,823
I have used copper.. copper and silver.. and pure silver.. tips I've used silicon..foam.. spirals..etc etc.. I want to like them as the fit is perfect .. I've tried a lot to make them sound good but failed.. I have fh7.. p1s.. tapes and t800 and the t800 is the worst of the lot.. I have a cayin n5ii I could try it but m11 my main driver.. I will eBay them I think

I happen to have T800 and Tape, also auditioned FH7 and P1.
P1 cannot touch T800 in any area.
Tape is clear and more detailed in some parts of the music, and T800 is more detailed in others. Tape is shouty with a tremendous peak aroung 3kHz, making it unnatural, but you may like that.
FH7 is good, for me it is on par with T800, but T800 has more separation in the bass.

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #44,494 of 99,823
it has the same driver as Tanchjim cora (oxygen, blon, CNT1?)

BTW, upon careful inspection, the drivers are NOT the same. The Tanchjim Cora has more small holes around the circumference of the grille compared to the Hibiscus driver.

By my count, the Hibiscus driver has 8 small holes vs the Tanchjim Cora's 14 holes.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #44,495 of 99,823
I happen to have T800 and Tape, also auditioned FH7 and P1.
P1 cannot touch T800 in any area.
Tape is clear and more detailed in some parts of the music, and T800 is more detailed in others. Tape is shouty with a tremendous peak aroung 3kHz, making it unnatural, but you may like that.
FH7 is good, for me it is on par with T800, but T800 has more separation in the bass.

Seriously you can't talk like your word is law. Tape is pretty picky in my testing. I have heard it get a bit shouty with one device I tested(an obvious bad combo I knew might go bed even before hearing it) but mostly is is quite lovely and no issue. Two others like the Tape as much as T800 with one preferring the Tape and the second not having a preference while liking both for different genre. A third likes the Tape quite a bit better than the T800 but may have a bad T800 pairing or a T800 with a defect.

Tape is shouty end of story is far from accurate and I, for one, find it very natural sounding. Would be a shame for someone who may end up loving the Tape to pass on it because of your experience. Can you say what you are using as a set-up so it can be noted that the pairing is a bad match and if you are using the stock tips(hope not) so we can get an idea. T800 with M11 seems to be noted now as a bad pairing that people are reporting. The bad pairings with T800 and others don't ruin them and it is the same with the Tape.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #44,496 of 99,823
I use iBasso DX220 with AMP1 MK2 for all my listening.
We have different ears then, and I set much store by the Harman IEM target, but with less 3kHz peak (8dB instead of 10 dB compared to 1kHz) and less drop after 8kHz.
And the Harman target is representative of the average preference of enough people. You can't deny the 15dB peak at 3kHz of Tape is not strange empirically. As I said, some may like that. I use Tape for some music, but it portrays music in a way different from what I'm accustomed to, live or recording.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #44,498 of 99,823
Before spending loads on Andromeda, are there any chi fi which have a similar sound so I can see if I like that sound. No where to try iems where I live!

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #44,499 of 99,823
Seem like a new model from URBANFUN. Beryllium diaphragm with good frequency response.
H1167e7384ad34d639d3efbd7f4b6bea8O.jpg

Ha4f3837f263542918880c4066484888fk.jpg

I'm working on a review of the Periodic "Be", and I was just lamenting how the market seemed to have skipped beryllium in favor of carbon/diamond drivers. Between this and the Shozy Form 1.1, maybe the market is taking a second look...

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #44,500 of 99,823
I think now it's time for me to chime in.
I have basically all the FOTMs, so here is the breakdown of them all

$200-300
It's a tie between LZ A6 and Audiosense T800, and they both sound equal to, or better than FH7, DK-4001, IE 400 - 500 Pro, Andromeda, IER-M9 depending on your music tastes

LZ A6 - The temperamental king
Pros: excellent treble detail and extension, tight and strong subbass, versatility, excellent wide soundstage (not tall) ==> technical abilities
Cons: some sibilance coming with treble extension
Remedy: copper cable, small pieces of foam inside the 10-40kHz filters
9/10

Audiosense T800 - The proper queen
Pro: excellent mid detail, strong and fun bass, safer treble than A6
Con: bass can feel slightly slow
Remedy: pure silver cable, tip rollings
9/10

$150 - 200
I don't own anything in this range, but auditioned IKKO OH10 (8/10) and Moondrop KXXS (7.5/10).
OH10 is better and quite good for the price, although both OH10 and KXXS don't give me the wow. They don't sound better than the $50-150 offerings in my collection (otherwise I would buy them)

$50 - 150
The most crowded arena

BQEYZ Spring 1
Pros: detailed, warm, excellent mid, good bass, holographic soundstage
Cons: slightly thin treble
Remedy: pure silver cable, nozzle screen removal, tips rolling
8/10

Shuoer Tape
Pros: hi-mid and high detail, strong and fun bass, wow factor
Cons: slightly shouty with female vocals, the 3kHz peak sometimes masks details in some areas
Remedy: Ostry OS200 tips

Sennheiser IE 40 Pro
Pros: excellent mid detail for DD, warm mid, very wide soundstage (not tall though)
Cons: subbass roll-off, slightly thin treble
Remedy: copper custom cable, tips rolling
8/10

NiceHCK NX7
Pros: very detailed, tight strong bass, wide soundstage
Cons: 8 kHz fatiguing peak
Remedy: 2 pieces of foam inside the nozzles (just take out the screens using a needle)
8/10

KBEAR Hi7
Pros: very large soundstage
Cons: the 3kHz peak sometimes masks details in some areas
Remedy: haven't spent much time with this yet
6.5/10

UiiSii BA-T9
Pros: the largest soundstage of all my IEMs, very detailed
Cons: flat bass (not a con for many), slightly sibilant
Remedy: copper cable, foam tips
7.75/10

NiceHCK F3
Pros: quick attack/decay of planar
Cons: flat bass, 8kHz fatiguing peak
Remedy: copper cable, foam tips
6.5/10

HiSenior H6
Pros: warm mid
Cons: subbass roll-off, treble roll-off
Remedy: haven't spent much time with this yet
6.0/10

Sub-$50

Semkarch CNT-1
Pros: excellent detail with no strange peak, very fun, strong subbass with little midbass bleed, quick for DD
Cons: 2 pairs of stock filters sound bad
Remedy: LZ A6 filters (red ones)
7.5/10

Blon BL-03
Pros: natural, smooth sound (Harman style with less 3kHz peak)
Cons: treble roll-off, not as quick as CNT-1
Remedy: pure silver cable, KZ star tips
7.25/10

TRN V90
Prons: detailed with no sibilance, strong fun bass, separation
Cons: slightly slow bass, thin mid
Remedy: cable and tips rolling
7.25/10

KZ ZSX
Pros: smooth, flat sound with slightly raised sub-bass
Cons: not as detailed as V90 with less separation
Remedy: sold them
6.75/10

I-INTO i8
Pro: smooth sound, flat mid
Cons: treble roll-off, springy cable
Remedy: tips rolling
6.5/10

UiiSii CM5
Pros: Harman style sound, detailed treble
Cons: slightly slow bass
Remedy: tips rolling
7/10

Ren Teng ix-12
Pros: strong bass, detailed
Cons: slight mid-bass bleed, fit problems
Remedy: wide bore tips
6.5/10

Pron: smooth sound, good soundstage
Cons: fit problems
Remedy: none
6.5/10

Sony MH755
What can I say, just buy them.

Some other IEMs I have sold: AKG N5005, KZ ZS10 Pro - ZS7 - ZS6, TRN IM1 Pro - IM2 - X6 - V20, Meizu Live, Kanas Pro, Tin T3, FLC 8S, NiceHCK N3, CCA C16, BGVP DM6, Sony XBA-A3 - XBA-300 - EX800ST, LZ A5, BQEYZ KC2... Most of them are not bad, some are excellent (N5005, FLC 8S), but I love to experience.

Hope this will help you with your 11.11 purchases. I'm feeling empty, cause I have nothing to buy now.

This is very helpful. Thank you. What would you suggest if I was looking for clean, meaty, foreground electric guitar sound in rock/metal?

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #44,501 of 99,823
This is very helpful. Thank you. What would you suggest if I was looking for clean, meaty, foreground electric guitar sound in rock/metal?
I also listen to a lot of metal. So far the most impressive sound for guitar has come from LZ A6. For the lower price, I think you could do with TRN V90, the separation of which is above the price. Or the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro for everything.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #44,502 of 99,823
I also listen to a lot of metal. So far the most impressive sound for guitar has come from LZ A6. For the lower price, I think you could do with TRN V90, the separation of which is above the price. Or the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro for everything.
Oh, that's cool, you are just what I needed as a source of information then :) Definitely I might go for LZ A6 with the 11.11 coming. Do you know whether pairing it with Fioo M11 would be a good idea?

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #44,503 of 99,823
I'm working on a review of the Periodic "Be", and I was just lamenting how the market seemed to have skipped beryllium in favor of carbon/diamond drivers. Between this and the Shozy Form 1.1, maybe the market is taking a second look...

Don't forget the unfortunately overlooked Dunu Titan 6.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #44,505 of 99,823

Just wanted to interject: there is a huge amount of variation in beryllium drivers offered on the market right now, and it's not immediately apparent to most people. Just about all of them are produced via a thin-film coating technique called physical vapor deposition (PVD), but these coatings are not made equal. Even though beryllium itself is supposed to be one of the most "colorless" acoustic driver materials around, the fact remains that the beryllium used in earphones these days is PVD-coated onto a polymer base material such as PET. So a few microns of difference here and there confer very distinct differences in sound. That's why there are sub-$100 products that tout beryllium drivers, and $1000+ products with beryllium as well.

While it wouldn't be appropriate to comment on products from other manufacturers, if we take our own products as an example, we offer beryllium-coated drivers on five different models, ranging from $139 to $899. That's a pretty big range of prices. Our DK-4001, the 17th Anniversary Limited Edition model, DK-3001 PRO, and (not yet released) DK-2001 all have 13mm drivers with dual-sided PVD coatings, but they sound quite different because the coating thicknesses are different, the microscopic grain structure is different, and the base polymer material is different. So we can tailor the response of the driver to be ultra fast and clean in the transients, thick and bold sounding, or gentle and resolving.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back