The discovery thread!
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #44,508 of 100,489
After some time calibrating if I should write or not the NiceHCK DB3 review, at the end I thought it was fair to do it at this moment, now that 11.11 is approaching. Because at the end I think that, despite being an IEM with a basic profile sound, they don't do anything wrong and for its price could become something that anyone could have and use at any time, without ever letting them down.

Also, I can't hide the fact that I like them.

Besides, I think the photos came out pretty good...

NiceHCK DB3 17_resize.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-db3.23966/reviews#review-22857

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #44,509 of 100,489
I have a nice photo of my DB3... well, actually the photo could be better but it is a really nice cable. I have said all along that the stock cable works perfectly well for me but look at this! Balanced and I got the deal that NiceHCK offered when they first were available.

NICEHCK C16-2 16 Core Copper Silver Mixed Cable

20191031_144641.jpg

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #44,510 of 100,489
The DB3 is a perfectly adequate pair of IEMs, I'd probably put them even with the blon bl-03.

A good pair to have as a spare or as an appetizer into the IEM world.... I've definitely spent a lot more money on a lot worse gear. I just find it hard to really find areas where they're special or standout, but expecting that at $20 feels a lot like first world entitlement....

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #44,512 of 100,489
The DB3 is a perfectly adequate pair of IEMs, I'd probably put them even with the blon bl-03.

A good pair to have as a spare or as an appetizer into the IEM world.... I've definitely spent a lot more money on a lot worse gear. I just find it hard to really find areas where they're special or standout, but expecting that at $20 feels a lot like first world entitlement....

I know what you mean but mine are quite special with that cable which cost a bit more than the IEM :)

So I let one of my coworkers listen to my DB3 CB-1 balanced cable out of my Shanling M5s.

She was shocked. Lol. She plans on buying 2 sets one for her self and one of her husband. She couldnt believe they cost $16 here during 11.11 sales.

I think that is around the price that I paid with the introductory offer. Often there are good deals for early adopters.

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #44,513 of 100,489
Seriously you can't talk like your word is law. Tape is pretty picky in my testing. I have heard it get a bit shouty with one device I tested(an obvious bad combo I knew might go bed even before hearing it) but mostly is is quite lovely and no issue. Two others like the Tape as much as T800 with one preferring the Tape and the second not having a preference while liking both for different genre. A third likes the Tape quite a bit better than the T800 but may have a bad T800 pairing or a T800 with a defect.

Tape is shouty end of story is far from accurate and I, for one, find it very natural sounding. Would be a shame for someone who may end up loving the Tape to pass on it because of your experience. Can you say what you are using as a set-up so it can be noted that the pairing is a bad match and if you are using the stock tips(hope not) so we can get an idea. T800 with M11 seems to be noted now as a bad pairing that people are reporting. The bad pairings with T800 and others don't ruin them and it is the same with the Tape.
I don't own the Tape, but from reading threads and watching videos about them, it seems to be a pretty common conclusion that the tape is on the bright side of things, getting a bit peaky or edgy, espescially for loud listening - as is often the price for detail. Its fine for people to mention that; some people like it, others don't. No need to defend it. :p
Though if a certain pairing makes it work for other tastes, that would obviously also be a plus, though likely less to do with the Tape than the source at that point, considering the measurements show the aforementioned peak...
I am curious how it stacks up with the various sonion EST's though in detail, since those seem to be reported as being rather subdued in the treble...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #44,514 of 100,489
I'm working on a review of the Periodic "Be", and I was just lamenting how the market seemed to have skipped beryllium in favor of carbon/diamond drivers. Between this and the Shozy Form 1.1, maybe the market is taking a second look...
I think the issue is that its a hazardous material and nearly no one but Focal and a select few other facilities can actually work with it, beyond just a glorified coat of paint for marketing purposes... Sadly

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #44,515 of 100,489
I think the issue is that its a hazardous material and nearly no one but Focal and a select few other facilities can actually work with it, beyond just a glorified coat of paint for marketing purposes... Sadly

Back in the mid-70s, Yamaha made a couple of "Studio Monitor" speakers, which used Beryllium dome midranges & tweeters.
I heard them in a stereo shop where I lived at the time, and really liked them - but as a high school student, I couldn't afford them.
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/yamaha_ns-1000_loudspeaker/index.html

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #44,516 of 100,489
Back in the mid-70s, Yamaha made a couple of "Studio Monitor" speakers, which used Beryllium dome midranges & tweeters.
I heard them in a stereo shop where I lived at the time, and really liked them - but as a high school student, I couldn't afford them.
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/yamaha_ns-1000_loudspeaker/index.html

A pair of Pioneer S-910s fell into my lap from my buddy's electronic recycling heap. The woofers were blown/missing and one ribbon tweeter shot. Found a replacement tweeter and had a pair of woofers laying around. Has that 80's sound but the beryllium ribbon tweeters seemed to be one of the cool things about this model.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/s-910.shtml

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #44,517 of 100,489
Remember to collect as many coupons as you can. Basically AE has 4 ways of getting discounts:
  1. AE Coupons: there are $2 off $10, $2 off $15, $10 off $69, and I believe $30 off $300 on 11.11. The first three coupons need to be exchanged with coins you collect every day in Wallet (200 coins for $2, 1000 coins for $10 but this has run out). These coupons work on everything, and are the red ones.
  2. AE Select Coupons: $2 each, you can collect a lot (I have more than $700 now). These work only when the sellers allow, and are the white ones. Sometimes you can save as much as $50 with this method.
  3. Seller Coupons: check the part under the price, this will vary according to each seller.
  4. Direct contact: just ask the sellers directly about discounts
  • If they send you a discount link to a store coupon, you are lucky because you can stack this with 1 + 2 + 3.
  • In case they adjust the price directly, please remember NOT to add any coupon when you choose Other Payment, because the sellers have a fixed lowest price for anything, and you will lose the coupons.
  • After the sellers adjust the price, you cannot add any coupon, so plan your strategy to maximize the amount of money you can save.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #44,518 of 100,489
my kind of drivers

Indeed! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We're really pleased with the results, though it is somewhat costly to do properly. The PVD layer has to be thick enough and the microscopic grain pattern has to be regular enough to confer that pistonic motion beryllium is so famous for.

That's why our sub-$100 products (DM-380 and DM-480) are still titanium drivers. Even the TITAN 6, at $139, is only coated on one side.

I love my Dunu DN-2000 so the 3001 pro is very interesting

If the DK-3001 PRO is an evolution of the DK-3001, the successor to the DN-2000 is the DK-2001. Design-wise, it shares more in common with the DK-3001, so it's now 3 BA + 1 DD, but now uses custom BA drivers to optimize coil impedances, and obviously uses one of our PVD beryllium drivers. It also has a cable with our modular plug system. (Edited for spelling)

WeChat Image_20191101235957_2048px_Q90.jpg

Attachments

• Blow-Up_Diagram.png
    Blow-Up_Diagram.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #44,520 of 100,489
Indeed! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We're really pleased with the results, though it is somewhat costly to do properly. The PVD layer has to be thick enough and the microscopic grain pattern has to be regular enough to confer that pistonic motion beryllium is so famous for.

That's why our sub-$100 products (DM-380 and DM-480) are still titanium drivers. Even the TITAN 6, at $139, is only coated on one side.

If the DK-3001 PRO is an evolution of the DK-3001, the successor to the DN-2000 is the DK-2001. Design-wise, it shares more in common with the DK-3001, so it's now 3 BA + 1 DD, but now uses custom BA drivers to optimize coil impedances, and obviously uses one of our PVD beryllium drivers. It also has a cable with our modular plug system. (Edited for spelling)

Hi , do you have some discounts on your products during 11.11 sale ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back