The discovery thread!
Nov 5, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #44,521 of 100,624
So I let one of my coworkers listen to my DB3 CB-1 balanced cable out of my Shanling M5s.

She was shocked. Lol. She plans on buying 2 sets one for her self and one of her husband. She couldnt believe they cost $16 here during 11.11 sales.
Thank you for sharing with us this great inspiring story!
Unselfish promotions coming from the bottom of the heart are priceless!

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #44,522 of 100,624
I don't own the Tape, but from reading threads and watching videos about them, it seems to be a pretty common conclusion that the tape is on the bright side of things, getting a bit peaky or edgy, espescially for loud listening - as is often the price for detail. Its fine for people to mention that; some people like it, others don't. No need to defend it. :p
Though if a certain pairing makes it work for other tastes, that would obviously also be a plus, though likely less to do with the Tape than the source at that point, considering the measurements show the aforementioned peak...
I am curious how it stacks up with the various sonion EST's though in detail, since those seem to be reported as being rather subdued in the treble...

I do own the Tape, but it was eclipsed for me by the Shozy Form 1.1 However, I brought the Tape out with me today and ran it through the Little Bear B4-X tube amp, and besides the pleasing thump and nuance in the bass, I noticed that the treble came out to play, mostly on cymbals it must be said, as I was listening to muscular Dad Rock from the 90's at which it fairly excelled at volume. However the Form at $60 was half the price of the Tape @ 120 Euro. they're both worth a listen. I got the Tape off Amazon so you can buy it and send it back if you don't like it. I'm looking at buying the BGVP DM7 though I may have a look at others on 11.11 too.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #44,523 of 100,624
I do own the Tape, but it was eclipsed for me by the Shozy Form 1.1 However, I brought the Tape out with me today and ran it through the Little Bear B4-X tube amp, and besides the pleasing thump and nuance in the bass, I noticed that the treble came out to play, mostly on cymbals it must be said, as I was listening to muscular Dad Rock from the 90's at which it fairly excelled at volume. However the Form at $60 was half the price of the Tape @ 120 Euro. they're both worth a listen. I got the Tape off Amazon so you can buy it and send it back if you don't like it. I'm looking at buying the BGVP DM7 though I may have a look at others on 11.11 too.
For around the same price you could get the Shanling ME500 Platinum Edition which is much better IMO.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #44,524 of 100,624
Back in the mid-70s, Yamaha made a couple of "Studio Monitor" speakers, which used Beryllium dome midranges & tweeters.
I heard them in a stereo shop where I lived at the time, and really liked them - but as a high school student, I couldn't afford them.
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/yamaha_ns-1000_loudspeaker/index.html

I got into the hobby because I backed some beryllium earphones (Starbrick Be4's) on Kickstarter, because somebody I trust said they should be backed, and at $99 it a discretionary purchase. Now you can buy them on Amazon. I broke mine so I set out to find something else, but you can check them out here: https://www.amazon.com/Be4-Beryllium-Dynamic-Driver-Earphone/dp/B076BS1LPF

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #44,525 of 100,624
For around the same price you could get the Shanling ME500 Platinum Edition which is much better IMO.

Odd, the shell looks like the TIN P1. What I like about the DM7 is the aesthetics, I like the see through shell. It's been reviewed well too. Haven't made my mind up yet, but it's on sale for $169 or so. Same as the Obravo Cupid basic (without the Litz cable)

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #44,526 of 100,624
Odd, the shell looks like the TIN P1. What I like about the DM7 is the aesthetics, I like the see through shell. It's been reviewed well too. Haven't made my mind up yet, but it's on sale for $169 or so. Same as the Obravo Cupid basic (without the Litz cable)
They're bigger and heavier than the P1 with much better noise isolation. The DM7 is more comfortable (and pretty) but to my ears, the ME500 PE sounds better.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #44,527 of 100,624
Hi , do you have some discounts on your products during 11.11 sale ???

More than 11/11 discounts! In fact, we will run discounts after 11/11 for 17 straight days until Black Friday, in honor of our 17th anniversary and year of new releases.

We will make the announcements soon in the sponsor announcements page.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #44,528 of 100,624
Penon Audio has launched an IEM, the Penon Sphere:
https://www.facebook.com/penonofficial/

download (1).jpg
download.jpg

Specifications:
  • Driver: Balanced Armature
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
  • Impedance:6Ω@1kHz
  • Sensitivity:118dB/1mW
  • Passive noise reduction: 26dB
  • Earphone interface: 2Pin 0.78mm
  • Plug:3.5mm
  • Cable Length: 1.2M
Wow Penon is branching into the manufacturing IEM department.
Retails $169 USD. I think it's a single BA, that's pretty pricey for that IMO, but of course tuning is more important than driver count. Passive isolation of 26 dB is also quite good.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #44,529 of 100,624
Penon Audio has launched an IEM, the Penon Sphere:
https://www.facebook.com/penonofficial/

Specifications:
  • Driver: Balanced Armature
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
  • Impedance:6Ω@1kHz
  • Sensitivity:118dB/1mW
  • Passive noise reduction: 26dB
  • Earphone interface: 2Pin 0.78mm
  • Plug:3.5mm
  • Cable Length: 1.2M
Wow Penon is branching into the manufacturing IEM department.
Retails $169 USD. I think it's a single BA, that's pretty pricey for that IMO, but of course tuning is more important than driver count. Passive isolation of 26 dB is also quite good.
I have tested both the Penon Sphere & Tansio Mirai Zodiac recently. Would like to chime in my thoughts.

Penon Sphere
I had experience with the Penon BS1 Experience & Official earbuds in the past with the Official becoming one of the most popular earbuds among audiophiles as it has a very musical sound. This time, Penon has released their debut IEM in the Sphere. Like the BS1 Official, I am very impressed from the first listen with its controlled and musical sound. Smooth bass, detailed midrange and crisp treble. The soundstage has a pretty open feeling. The width is fair and depth is good The highlight for me is how clean the vocals are and the upper midrange is present yet controlled. With this tuning, I foresee the Sphere to be a hit like the BS1 Official.

photo_2019-11-05_22-50-47.jpg

Tansio Mirai Zodiac
The Zodiac is the latest flagship from Tansio Mirai and it boasts excellent resolution, what I would expect from a flagship. It is able to provide punchy bass, clear midrange and extended & airy treble. Very holographic soundstage. The highlight is the amount of details the Zodiac presents. Easily the best from Tansio Mirai to date. Will compare with other TOTLs.

photo_2019-11-05_22-50-59.jpg

Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #44,531 of 100,624
If the DK-3001 PRO is an evolution of the DK-3001, the successor to the DN-2000 is the DK-2001. Design-wise, it shares more in common with the DK-3001, so it's now 3 BA + 1 DD, but now uses custom BA drivers to optimize coil impedances, and obviously uses one of our PVD beryllium drivers. It also has a cable with our modular plug system. (Edited for spelling)
Very inresting as a big fan of yours dn200 and dk-3001.:)

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #44,535 of 100,624
looks like the NX7 pro is nothing more than the original with screw in filters. i'm perfectly happy with the original. don't need filters, and changing cable will act like a filter anyways.

now lately i've been spending more time with the BIE. @Hawaiibadboy (did he get banned?), @RedJohn456 , and others are right on bulleye with this $20.00 gem from Venture Electronics. i've been listening to the flamenco guitar god Ottmar Liebert's landmark album Nouveau Flamenco (in 320 mp3 and not FLAC!!!!), and holy $*!t!!! the timbre, resonance, and extension/sustain is unmatched for it's price. those acoustic guitars sound heavenly and accurate. the details for a dynamic driver rival the JVC and the IE800. yes. you read that right. they do. i tested it. the resonance of the strings and the sliding of fingers and the quiet subtle tapping of wood on the hollow bodies are easily heard and noted. this separates the BIE from the moondrop crescents and the mh755. i'm going to spend some more time with the BIE, which pairs perfectly with the Cowon PJ. No amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back