The discovery thread!
Sep 19, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #43,906 of 101,157
i think if you can tell the db3 vs 60+ usd comparison it will be very helpful. if i say woow for a 10 usd iem but if it doesn't compete with 40 +usd iem, it doesn't means a lot to me. Maybe it is outstanding value for 20 usd iems but here lots of people already have popular iems about 50 to 100 usd i think. There is no more room for cheapos.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #43,907 of 101,157
I gotta say NiceHCK is on a roll here. It seems they have stepped up their game in terms of tuning. Of course it does help that they are reaching out to enthusiasts for advice.

All I can say is if you guys that were skeptics on how good a $20 earphone can sound. Go into this one with an open mind. Just be prepared for something you will not imagine a $20 phone can sound like. Ya the tuning is a bit more consumer friendly vs the NX7 but it has its own sound for certain.

As always with NiceHCK stuff their accessories are par per course. Get your cables and tips ready.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #43,908 of 101,157
Haven't heard the ****. But I can honestly say the DB3 holds it's own.

H2afdcbbae2f74ac58d37ba4862224793C.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000134576952.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15944c4d89V1ea
It's been sitting in my Ali cart for about 2 weeks now, that's all the push I needed to hit order. Can't wait to hear them now....! Now I just need to convinc myself i DON'T also need the NX7.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #43,909 of 101,157
Thanks for the timely post, just got the No. 3 in the mail yesterday. I know what you mean on the tips and cable out of the box. I read up on them before ordering and there was alot of bassmonsters and basshead talk. I think you hit it with defined and impactful at first listen.

Thanks
How do they compare against ZS10 Pro? Could be my next purchase.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #43,910 of 101,157
Just got the DB3 in the mail yesterday. Graph below:
DB3.jpg
As always, my measurements were conducted with a Dayton iMM-6 microphone using a vinyl tubing coupler and a calibrated USB sound interface. The measurements use a compensation file derived from comparing my raw measurements with Crinacle’s published measurements. The measurements are presented with 1/24th smoothing. The magnitude of the valley at 7k is a coupler artifact.There is a resonant peak at 8k. Measurements above 10k are not reliable.
Although I haven't listened to them yet (I also got the TRN V90 in the mail yesterday, will post measurements and impressions in the TRN thread momentarily), I think the actual treble peak is just before 9k. When I played a longer sine sweep the peak between 8-9k showed up as two separate peaks.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #43,911 of 101,157
I didn't mean to imply it was new - my understanding though is that it's uncommon to see this arrangement in a ~$100 earphone. I've seen it before in more expensive earphones.

These unit prices for these modules don't actually cost that much. Piezoelectric plate drivers are actually relatively easy to make, and they're really not intended for high-fidelity sound, as they will produce bursts of extremely high distortion restricted to certain frequency ranges.

Higher end products use them because they can use them to claim performance superiority with very good high frequency extension. It takes a lot of work to get them to sound tame, though. A few years ago, I was gung ho for piezoelectric drivers, but after having heard a few of them and then looking up their characteristics, I think they're highly problematic.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #43,912 of 101,157
It's been sitting in my Ali cart for about 2 weeks now, that's all the push I needed to hit order. Can't wait to hear them now....! Now I just need to convinc myself i DON'T also need the NX7.

I am gonna say the DB3 will be a gateway. Lol. Some might even prefer it to the NX7. But considering you can get both for a bit less than a $100 spot.

I can't think of better examples of just how much sonics your getting for your bucks now a days than these two.

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #43,914 of 101,157
How do they compare against ZS10 Pro? Could be my next purchase.

Comparing a nice $100 dynamic driver to a $35 hybrid set might not be fair but the TFZ fixes similar issues to what people are saying about the ZSX. Immediately you will notice better treblle, detail, and refined bass. Cymbal crashes like at the beginning of Fleetwood Mac's Dreams sound much more natural and resonate more. The TFZ have plenty of bass, but again it sounds more natural. Kick drums popped out at me as sounding different than the ZS10Pro, more natural. I wasn't a fan of listening to Metallica on any KZ but sounds better on the TFZ. EDM/Dance was more mixed. I think the ZS10Pro tuning works better for me on some pure electronic like Deadmau5. Moving from electronic towards dance, I was leaning towards the TFZ. Daft Punk's Get Lucky on the TFZ has a head filling bass that is different than the ZS10. Rap is another mix, certain deliveries sound better on each pair. I like Drake on the ZS10Pro where his voice is detailed but still rolls off naturally. Eminem on the TFZ because its super clear and sharp like his voice. Soundstage and instrument imaging are different. The TFZ is somewhere between wide and artificially wide as someone said yesterday, but at first glance, I think instrument location was better on the ZS10 but not as wide. Again, another one of those things being said on the ZSX, wider than the ZS10. Think about what you like about the ZS10 Pro and see if that matches what people are saying about the No 3.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #43,916 of 101,157
Comparing a nice $100 dynamic driver to a $35 hybrid set might not be fair but the TFZ fixes similar issues to what people are saying about the ZSX. Immediately you will notice better treblle, detail, and refined bass. Cymbal crashes like at the beginning of Fleetwood Mac's Dreams sound much more natural and resonate more. The TFZ have plenty of bass, but again it sounds more natural. Kick drums popped out at me as sounding different than the ZS10Pro, more natural. I wasn't a fan of listening to Metallica on any KZ but sounds better on the TFZ. EDM/Dance was more mixed. I think the ZS10Pro tuning works better for me on some pure electronic like Deadmau5. Moving from electronic towards dance, I was leaning towards the TFZ. Daft Punk's Get Lucky on the TFZ has a head filling bass that is different than the ZS10. Rap is another mix, certain deliveries sound better on each pair. I like Drake on the ZS10Pro where his voice is detailed but still rolls off naturally. Eminem on the TFZ because its super clear and sharp like his voice. Soundstage and instrument imaging are different. The TFZ is somewhere between wide and artificially wide as someone said yesterday, but at first glance, I think instrument location was better on the ZS10 but not as wide. Again, another one of those things being said on the ZSX, wider than the ZS10. Think about what you like about the ZS10 Pro and see if that matches what people are saying about the No 3.
What's your current pick under 50$ then?

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #43,917 of 101,157
Just got the DB3 in the mail yesterday. Graph below:

As always, my measurements were conducted with a Dayton iMM-6 microphone using a vinyl tubing coupler and a calibrated USB sound interface. The measurements use a compensation file derived from comparing my raw measurements with Crinacle’s published measurements. The measurements are presented with 1/24th smoothing. The magnitude of the valley at 7k is a coupler artifact.There is a resonant peak at 8k. Measurements above 10k are not reliable.
Although I haven't listened to them yet (I also got the TRN V90 in the mail yesterday, will post measurements and impressions in the TRN thread momentarily), I think the actual treble peak is just before 9k. When I played a longer sine sweep the peak between 8-9k showed up as two separate peaks.

Fiio FH5
FH5-1024x505.jpg

Similar sound balancing and bass impact. DB3 sounds similar to the Fiio FH5.

Ya I am comparing a $20 earphone to a $260 one!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #43,918 of 101,157
What's your current pick under 50$ then?
Unless your playlist is my playlist and your ears are my ears, there isn't an easy pick. Personally I have the ZSX, but the TRN-V90 and Blon BL-03 on order. If you judge by mentions, those seem to be what people are talking about lately in the under $50 and those are more like $40 and under at the moment. If you are just looking to get started with minimal investment, the KZ ZSN Pro is solid for the price and at least you will form some opinion as to what you would want in an upgrade and that will make your question easier to answer. Maybe the NiceHCK DB3 are the new $20 pick. They are in my cart, haven't pulled the trigger yet on those. Hopefully, others will chime in with their current under $50 and give you some more ideas and options.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #43,919 of 101,157
The Dunu T6 is very good.

I literally just heard them today. Nice indeed. They seem fairly tip dependent, so I haven't had time to go through the gamut of possibilities. It's definitely not got the grain and peak issues of the Titan 3 and 5, but this isn't a spiritual successor to the relatively smooth Titan 1 which was so well regarded back in the day, though. It's more bass focused, though I would hesitate to call it bassy. I definitely like them more than the Titan 5. On technical performance, the new beryllium driver comes surprisingly close to the bass performance of its big brother the 3001 pro, which has a dual-sided coating instead of single sided. It's got nothing on the 4001, though. On the housing side, I do kind of miss the heftiness of the Titan 3 and 5, as these housings feel a little too light for my tastes, but I get why they went this route. It's a better looking earphone for sure. Quite like the cappuccino color.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #43,920 of 101,157
My BL 03 arrived today.
Put a descent copper cable on it with some good foam tips...and VERY impressed - even out of the box its clear that the soundstage is big, nice sub-bass + low end. Clean clear yet soft
Quite an 'alive' fresh sound as well. reminds me of the Kanas Pro
Very happy to keep these and use them for general out and about
Looking forward to seeing how they mature over time, but absolutely no reservations in recommending these.
I do think though that a 'warm' copper cable and good tips helps them to get to
their best and perhaps again, a warm DAP would give a nice synergy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back