The discovery thread!
Aug 5, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #43,246 of 100,819
I find the NX7 works best with the new Sennheiser tips accompanying the IE40 - IE400 - IE500, the ones that have foams already inserted in the nozzles. They tame the treble peak without taking away the extension.
Also, this monstrous 16-core ISN copper cable really helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190806_1.jpg
    IMG_20190806_1.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #43,247 of 100,819
Piezo tweeter has its own sound. Which can be a good thing or bad depending on your view of them. Not the most natural of treble but you can't deny that detail in the higher registers. I suppose guys that love them some sparkle to their treble would love the NX7 as it has that. I only wish the treble notes had more roundness to it. Otherwise I have no issue with it. Again very unique sounding. In conjuction of that bass that comes out to play. NX7 has been getting too much ear time over my other earphones.

On a side note. I was listening to my Andromeda S last night and I was so used to getting that ghostly detail in the higher registers it is like the Andromeda S had something missing from it.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #43,249 of 100,819
Yeah because all chifi sound the same, it's clear that you haven't tried any though.

Hands up, no I haven't but enough reports keep coming through to suggest a peak in the treble, which is something that I'm not sure that I'd like (one of the reasons I've not tried 64 audio higher end stuff in all honesty). That combined with the fact that my right ear seems to reject most iems means there isn't a lot of point in trying. Have been tempted to try fearless as they offer a true custom option (and I do have a set of digital scans of my ears that I could send them), but something holds me back. The irony is back in the day (before age and other circumstances shafted my hearing) I tended toward a treble sound, nowadays I prefer something a little smoother for longer listening periods.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #43,250 of 100,819
Andromeda is missing that deadly attack on your eardrums with sharp cold weapons
Have never heard the Andromeda but I like the new avatar :thumbsup::wink:

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #43,252 of 100,819
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #43,253 of 100,819
Hands up, no I haven't but enough reports keep coming through to suggest a peak in the treble, which is something that I'm not sure that I'd like (one of the reasons I've not tried 64 audio higher end stuff in all honesty). That combined with the fact that my right ear seems to reject most iems means there isn't a lot of point in trying. Have been tempted to try fearless as they offer a true custom option (and I do have a set of digital scans of my ears that I could send them), but something holds me back. The irony is back in the day (before age and other circumstances shafted my hearing) I tended toward a treble sound, nowadays I prefer something a little smoother for longer listening periods.
It is subjective...but prior to this set I was relatively averse to iem’s and also overley bright earbuds. Thus on paper or graph!! - it should have been the same with NX7’s. Conversely, after 7 days of burn-in - I’m not really aware of wearing them. Usually I experienced irritation, queasiness & fatigue, however these feel very organic to me.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #43,254 of 100,819
Source is crucial with the NX7. I loved the NX7 with my Sabaj D5 & ifi iematch, as well as my Shanling m3s. Today I used my brighter Sabaj Da3 at work, and the highs were a bit too piercing for me. Tomorrow I'll see if adding impedance via the iematch might help.

In all cases I used the Nicehck 16 core silver plated copper balanced cable.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #43,255 of 100,819
Source is crucial with the NX7. I loved the NX7 with my Sabaj D5 & ifi iematch, as well as my Shanling m3s. Today I used my brighter Sabaj Da3 at work, and the highs were a bit too piercing for me. Tomorrow I'll see if adding impedance via the iematch might help.

In all cases I used the Nicehck 16 core silver plated copper balanced cable.

The NX7 sounds good to me, with my Loxjie P20 Tube Hybrid Amp, connected as either Balanced or Single-Ended.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #43,256 of 100,819
I tried the NX7s with some wide bore silicones (Auvio 12A12, 3300785 Large is my fit). Like for you, treble was a bit bright. Then tried a Mod that I think Slater mentioned. Placed micropor tape to cover the IEM tip before placing the Auvio Tips On.
- The combination seemed to control the high treble at first. But when I increased volume, the treble made drum hits to snappy.
- So I went into the Hidizs AP80's Equalizer (Which I never use), and dropped 16Khz down by 4db. That combo sounded pretty good at both low/normal and higher volumes.
- For lower volume listening, the micropor tape might be enough.
And yes, I have 60+ year old ears, and slight tinitus, so am sure this won't match everyone's ears. Personally don't like custom EQ for different earphones. Gets complicated...

Will try this combo with a different/better dac/amp later...

EDIT: Tried with Ifi Micro DSD and then removed the micropore tape. The NX7's sound good without the tape, with the Auvio Silicones, with no EQ. Re-tested on the AP80, and it sounds good to at normal listening levels. When cranked up a little higher than normal, the treble gets too piercing. But sound great at normal listening levels. At least for me. Think they are very good for the price. They definately needed some burn in, as out of the box they had a lot of sibilance. That is almost all gone 50+ hrs. Most of that dropped off after 3-4 hrs...

Schamoni, I forgot about my own blog post on micropore modding: https://www.audioreviews.org/how-to-remove-treble-peaks/

Taping 80-90% of the nozzle off with micropore tape will remove the 13 kHz peak but likely not alter the 2-4 kHz area. Will try tomorrow...that's where measurbating is useful: to record "before" and "after" and to make sure the channels remain balanced.

oOIpyAd.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #43,257 of 100,819
Otto Motor's Dollarstore Audiophilia

I mentioned it before: I want bang for my buck. And I also mentioned co-blogger Biodegraded being a "Dollarstore Audiophile". This weekend, I checked a "Dollarama" myself, and left with amazingly useless treasures.

front.jpeg

1. The Quirky ($1 CAD): a totally redundant device to roll up earbuds/earphones.

IMG_0643.jpeg
IMG_0645 copy.jpeg

2. Scosche ClipITs ($1.25 CAD): weird universal sports ear hooks that didn't make the cut either.

IMG_0643 copy.jpeg
IMG_0645.jpeg

3. Monster iSplitter ($4 CAD): 3.5 mm audio adapter for sharing movies/music with your partner; adjust the volume for each user separately. A non-seller from 2011.

IMG_0638.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg

4. Ultrabright earphone storage pouch ($2.50 CAD): finally I will find my earphones in my backpack. Hey, something useful at last.

IMG_0646.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #43,259 of 100,819
Balancing the NiceHCK NX7's Tonality with Micropore Tape

That's what it looks like:

v6oE3KK.jpg

That's how the resulting sound differences can be quantified:

NiceHCK NX7 micropore mod.jpg

What a surprise: the micropore does not primarily tame that 13 kHz peak but also and more so the upper midrange and lower treble. In previous endeavours, nothing above 5 kHz had been affected by the micropore.

The perceived sound differences are stunning and will be described in detail in my forthcoming review. But much of that bright overpixelation (and therefore most of the fatiguing element) is gone...which brings out the true detail resolution for my ears...and it thickens the vocals department somewhat...hurrah! The only downside is that the bass goes towards boomy...one needs wide-bore tips for this modified version.

Now I am really happy with the NX7.

Last but not least, it is to note that the micropore made an infinitely bigger sonic difference than a cable change or the 50 hr break-in/burn-in...at a cost of next to zero (a 3 m roll was about $2).

P.S. There are lots of earphone tuning/easy-modding wizards out there and I compiled the spread-out wisdom -- referenced to the sources -- handily under one "roof" for your ease of use: https://www.audioreviews.org/modding/

P.P.S. This is a great example of the usefulness of measurements (independent of coupler, even). Showing the differences graphically leaves no doubt on the effect of the micropore taping. What measuring of course can't tell us is inhowfar the sound quality has changed...but one can have an educated guess nevertheless :wink:.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #43,260 of 100,819

Users who are viewing this thread

Back