The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #40,173 of 101,441
Here's a question for those of you that may use Bluetooth headphones. My daughter prefers small portable headphones with Bluetooth. Her set just went on her so I gave her a wired set to carry her over until Christmas. Any recommendations on a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones said:
Is she wanting something fashionable? (I assume she's a teenager)

Sony BT headphones are actually not that bad. I've tested a few in Best Buy/Fry's.

I would say to look local store like BB or go with Amazon, wouldn't look to AE as shipping may not get here in time for Xmas

She's actually a Grad student that has to commute onto campus every day using public transportation. Fashion isn't really her thing, she tends to like my headphones but can't afford them. I did give her a pair of my old SoundMagic's (HP151?) which are kind of big for her but she really liked the sound.
She defiantly wears headphones as she presented her sorry cheap headphones that were falling apart and commented on how the bt was always failing on them. So therefore she uses BT headsets in her commute.
I was thinking of the AKG N60NC at $150, which seemed like they may do the trick. She would also probably like the Sennheiser Momentum's, but they are to pricey.
I also kind of like the Sony WH-CH700n but they may be too big.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #40,177 of 101,441
Now im tempted to spend more on cables to pair with my dmg. But does it make sense that the cable is more than half the price of the earphones in this case? considering the fact that I got my DMG for around $90. (Applied my saved up coupon)

Anyway, one thing i want to point out is that the new $200 ibasso IT01s actually comes with the same cable that the dmg have. So either the cable is not as good and ibasso downgraded their cable, or the cable is better than the original ibasso IT01 cable but is not compatible with the DMG.

Na that cable looks like the same cable on the DMG. I guarantee it isn't. That is an Ibasso in house made cable. They aren't gonna use a $20 cable on one of their earphones.

Just know your DMG sonics are restricted due to the stock cable. I have them in my ears as I type with the stock cable and it is torturous. IT don't sound bad per se but I know how these sound with a better cable and lets just say once you actually try a nicer cable on these your in for a nice surprise.

10203056.jpg

From the IT01s pic, If you look at the cores on here. You can see the strands of SPC tightly coiled. Stock cable on the DMG does not use all these coils. It is a simple stright dual thicker cores on the DMG. And I am willing to bet of low quality. You can readily buy the DMG cable on aliexpress for $20. The IT01s cable will be vastly superior and will come in balanced too.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #40,180 of 101,441
So my general rule of thumb on cable rolling. Makes no sense to spend just as much on cables as what you spend on an earphone. But in my case since I already owned some nicer cables which came with my Andromeda S and Solaris. Which are both using cheaper cables at the moment than what came with them. I am using balanced cables on them which ended up working well with them. So I had them alo cables to work with.

On the M6. This cable change brings out much better definition clarity accross the board. It is not a slight change either. I had a OCC copper cable that Jim at NiceHCK recommended I try and even with those cables which only cost me $45 was a substantial upgrade.

The longer I have been in the audio world the more and more I am realizing just how important cables of all things come into play. Espcecially dealing with Chi fi products. I guarntee the first thing that goes into the price consideration is what they throw in for a cable. Again minus Ibasso there is no way they are gonna throw in a nicer cable in a $140 package.

Later on today I am gonna try some cheaper chi fi cables to see if they have an effect. I suspect they do.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #40,181 of 101,441
So my general rule of thumb on cable rolling. Makes no sense to spend just as much on cables as what you spend on an earphone. But in my case since I already owned some nicer cables which came with my Andromeda S and Solaris. Which are both using cheaper cables at the moment than what came with them. I am using balanced cables on them which ended up working well with them. So I had them alo cables to work with.

On the M6. This cable change brings out much better definition clarity accross the board. It is not a slight change either. I had a OCC copper cable that Jim at NiceHCK recommended I try and even with those cables which only cost me $45 was a substantial upgrade.

The longer I have been in the audio world the more and more I am realizing just how important cables of all things come into play. Espcecially dealing with Chi fi products. I guarntee the first thing that goes into the price consideration is what they throw in for a cable. Again minus Ibasso there is no way they are gonna throw in a nicer cable in a $140 package.

Later on today I am gonna try some cheaper chi fi cables to see if they have an effect. I suspect they do.
I played with cables on my full-sized cans such as the Beyerdynamic Custom Pro - and found no difference. And if there was a difference, it likely does not warrant the cable's price -- but rather spending the extra money on better headphones.

The NiceHCK EP35 earphones sound much better/fuller with the cheap copper cable included with the PHB EM-23 than with its own silver-plated cable. I have no idea why. The only difference should be the impedance. Even if I measured the FR with the different cables, I don't expect any difference.

While the jury is still out on this, my personal rule of thumb is that I can't go wrong with copper.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #40,184 of 101,441
I ordered a $9 copper cable from the same seller where @Dsnuts got his $45 cable from. And I wonder whether there is an audible difference - maybe there is (difference in shielding...). Copper is copper! Unless one prefers copper with "terroir" that is coming out of a specific copper mine, let's say in Canada or Mongolia.

For example, I like this mining operation for optimizing my output impedance...
mongolian-govt-cant-nationalize-erdenet-copper-mine-court.jpg

But any of these mines will also host silver and zinc :wink:.

P.S. Excuse my lame jokes, I am a geologist.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #40,185 of 101,441
I ordered a $9 copper cable from the same seller where @Dsnuts got his $45 cable from. And I wonder whether there is an audible difference - maybe there is (difference in shielding...). Copper is copper! Unless one prefers copper with "terroir" that is coming out of a specific copper mine, let's say in Canada or Mongolia.

For example, I like this mining operation for optimizing my output impedance...

But any of these mines will also host silver and zinc :wink:.

P.S. Excuse my lame jokes, I am a geologist.

speaking of copper

images.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back