San Diego Head-Fi Meet: Saturday, November 3rd, 2012
Oct 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #106 of 218
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that this meet is "BYOP" or "Bring your own power"...I don't mean generators or batteries...But, I am not sure what the power situation is in the room at the library. I think there are outlets at regular intervals along the walls.(I need to go by there again and check it out.)

So, if you have extension cords and power strips that you can bring for yourself or to share, that would be great. I don't think we could have too many. I will bring what I have, but I don't have much. I will probably pick up a few of the kind that have outlets along the extension cord.

Thanks for your help with this "DIY" meet!

-Darin

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #107 of 218
OK everyone,

PLEASE read post #2 of this thread for a list of rules that I stole from the LA meet. They are all very good and remind us to be very considerate of other people's equipment.

We want to be able to do this again and if anything goes wrong, that would be a bummer!

For example, there is an issue with the Cavalli LL and Stax 009:

Here's what Alex Cavalli said:
Quote:
[size=11pt]However, at RMAF, someone caught the 009 cable in his feet and whipped them off the table very hard onto the concrete floor. After this they didn’t ever sound quite right to me. Is there anyone in your area who could supply a known good set. If not, I can send you the headphones and you’ll just have to tell everyone about this potential problem. The downside for me/you is that people may listen and not get the real LL/009 experience.[/size]

So...

I think we should have him send it down anyway. Worst case, people could possible try the LL with other Stax headphones, like my SR-407's. I am assuming even a "broken" 009 will sound better than my 407's.

For those of you who contributed to the shipping, are you OK with still shipping the LL and 009 down? Or you would you rather abort the whole thing and save our money?

Let me know ASAP so we still have time to ship it down.

Thanks,
-Darin

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #108 of 218
Quote:
OK everyone,

PLEASE read post #2 of this thread for a list of rules that I stole from the LA meet. They are all very good and remind us to be very considerate of other people's equipment.

We want to be able to do this again and if anything goes wrong, that would be a bummer!

So...

I think we should have him send it down anyway. Worst case, people could possible try the LL with other Stax headphones, like my SR-407's. I am assuming even a "broken" 009 will sound better than my 407's.

For those of you who contributed to the shipping, are you OK with still shipping the LL and 009 down? Or you would you rather abort the whole thing and save our money?

Thanks,
-Darin

That made me cringe. Awful awful to hear that

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #109 of 218
OK everyone,

So...

Thanks,
-Darin

Bring 'em on.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #111 of 218
Quote:
Put me down for tentative.

Awesome! Would love to have you if you can make it. (it won't compare to your LA meet though...)

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #112 of 218
That's great Purrin.  Would like to see you again.  Do you happen to know anyone with Sr-009s?

I was talking to Darinf today and I really like how well the LAX meet was and forwarded the rules list to him.  

Alex has msg me back and will be happy to send the LL,SR009s, and a LG w/ tubes to try.  I have to LCD-3s.  Anyone have a Hifiman HE-6?  Been reading good things about it with the LG at RMAF.

PS. I am bring velcro ties for longer headphone cables if we need.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #113 of 218
Quote:
That's great Purrin.  Would like to see you again.  Do you happen to know anyone with Sr-009s?

I was talking to Darinf today and I really like how well the LAX meet was and forwarded the rules list to him.  

Alex has msg me back and will be happy to send the LL,SR009s, and a LG w/ tubes to try.  I have to LCD-3s.  Anyone have a Hifiman HE-6?  Been reading good things about it with the LG at RMAF.

PS. I am bring velcro ties for longer headphone cables if we need.

hey hiyono, made it back home. It's very unfortunate to hear about the 009 being broken or potentially broken that is. I'm also curious about the HE-6 paired w/ my LF.

Also, Hiyono and I taking the 57 towards the 5 from Hacienda Heights 1-2 people could join our road trip should save us a ton of gas and would split between 10-15$ of gas per person.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #114 of 218
Can someone bring an HD600 is they have one, please? I haven't heard one in a while and it might be just the thing I need to buy eventually! :D

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #115 of 218
I offered to kick in some money, but have not heard anything about how to pay. Do we just bring the cash with us, or is this going to be a paypal thing. 

Also, I am coming from Irvine area and can take one or two people with me if anyone is still in need to transportation.

I am bringing:
  1. audio-gd NFB-1.32 balanced DAC with 32 bit USB/32 Bit Sabre and TXCO upgrades (with wireworld silver starlight usb)
  2. audio-gd NFB6 Balanced, discreet Amp connected via ACSS
  3. Project rm6sb turntable with Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthwak, battery phono stage (Audio Metallurlagy Silver OCC interconnects)
  4. Pioneer Elite 47Ai DVD-A/SACD/CD (with wireworld silver starlight digital optical)
  5. Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary with JDS Labs C-241
  6. LCD-2 with balanced Norse Audio 4 wire cable, Senn HD25 MKII, and my custom UM Melody's to plug into some nice portables hopefully...

I will grab several power strips and extension cords from my office.

elwappo99 this looks like a great alternative to throwing something together at my office. I sent an email to DNA mentioning this to see if he wanted to bring his new Stratus down there. I would really love to hear it with the LCD-2 as well as others...

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #116 of 218
Quote:
I offered to kick in some money, but have not heard anything about how to pay. Do we just bring the cash with us, or is this going to be a paypal thing. 

Also, I am coming from Irvine area and can take one or two people with me if anyone is still in need to transportation.

I am bringing:
  1. audio-gd NFB-1.32 balanced DAC with 32 bit USB/32 Bit Sabre and TXCO upgrades (with wireworld silver starlight usb)
  3. Project rm6sb turntable with Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthwak, battery phono stage (Audio Metallurlagy Silver OCC interconnects)
  4. Pioneer Elite 47Ai DVD-A/SACD/CD (with wireworld silver starlight digital optical)
  6. LCD-2 with balanced Norse Audio 4 wire cable, Senn HD25 MKII, and my custom UM Melody's to plug into some nice portables hopefully...

elwappo99 this looks like a great alternative to throwing something together at my office. I sent an email to DNA mentioning this to see if he wanted to bring his new Stratus down there. I would really love to hear it with the LCD-2 as well as others...

Great! hope to see you there.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #117 of 218
Quote:

I am bringing:

Hi Danny,
Thanks for coming and bringing all that gear!

For anyone who wants to help out with the shipping costs, just bring cash to the meet. Please either PM me or post here how much you are willing to contribute so I can keep a running total.

Thanks,
-Darin

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #118 of 218
I may be able to come down from LA, not sure yet.  I have:

Headphones:
  • Koss KSC35
  • UE TF10
  • Apuresound modded HD580 with HD600 grills and HD650 cables
  • Fully modded LA7000

Amps:
  • Fred Fred CMOY Class A

Sources:
  • Hisoundaudio Rocoo BA
  • Hisoundaudio Rocoo Studio (v1)
  • Samsung Note 2 (hopefully)

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #119 of 218
Quote:
I may be able to come down from LA, not sure yet.  I have:

Headphones:
  • Koss KSC35
  • UE TF10
  • Apuresound modded HD580 with HD600 grills and HD650 cables
  • Fully modded LA7000

Amps:
  • Fred Fred CMOY Class A

Sources:
  • Hisoundaudio Rocoo BA
  • Hisoundaudio Rocoo Studio (v1)
  • Samsung Note 2 (hopefully)

Would love to have you there. Let us know.

I will put you down as tentative.

Thanks,
-Darin

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #120 of 218
I'll start a Carpool List for people from LA.  Leave a msg or PM to update.

Hiyono - 1+2  - 1 seat free   -  Hacienda Heights > 60 East > 57 South > 5 South
    1. Azynneo
    2. (Open)

burnspbesq 1+3 - Orange/UCI. Route is 55/405/5
    1. MageDark +1 (Irvine)
    2. (open)

Looking for rides

2. elwappo99 (IE) (undecided)
3. Sladewilson (IE)
4. Mike1127 (NorthRidge)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back