San Diego Head-Fi Meet: Saturday, November 3rd, 2012
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 218

darinf

Member of the Trade: Darin Fong Audio
***Update*** Date has been changed to Saturday, November 3rd, 2012. Sorry about that.

OK, here it is, finally!

***Update***
I have confirmed a location and time for the meeting:

The meet will be from 11:00am until 4:30pm on Saturday, November 3rd.

The meet will be held at the Coronado Public Library in the Winn Room: 640 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118 (619) 522-7390

There is no parking lot, but street parking shouldn't be a problem. The parking on the main street in front of the library is 2 hour parking. But all the other side streets in the neighborhood are unrestricted.

We will have access to the room for setup starting at 10:00am and we will have 1 hour to pack up and put away the tables and chairs, clean, etc. at the end. We must be completely done in the room by 5:30pm.

We are allowed to bring food and beverages (no alcohol though). I have not made any plans to provide anything. Never having been to a meet, is there usually food or beverages provided? Not sure if anyone wants food or drinks near their gear!

I have two sponsors so far who have committed to helping out with expenses.

Other than that, please post on this thread if you plan on coming and what equipment you can bring, if any.

Also, if anyone else wants to help with the organization of this event, please PM me. I have never organized a meet before, so this will be an adventure for me. But since no one seemed willing to step up, I decided to volunteer.

Subscribe to this thread and check this post for updates.

Looking forward to a decent turn out!

-Darin

Vendor/Sponsor list:

Heir Audio:
  1. A representative from Heir Audio will be present. He will be bringing the entire line of Heir non-custom IEM's and accessories for attendees to demo.
  2. He will also be performing complimentary ear mold impressions with proof of purchase of any Heir Audio custom product.
  3. He has generously offered to help pay for the venue rental.

Mr.Speakers:
  1. The owner of MrSpeakers.com will be there. He will be bringing his Mad Dog headphones.
  2. He will also bring a Schiit Lyr and Bifrost, and a Burson 160D

Moreno Sales:
  1. Ron Moreno from Moreno Sales will bring products from the lines they rep for demo.
  2. Ultrasone
  3. NuForce
  4. Aurisonics

NuForce:
  1. I have not confirmed exactly which products they are bringing. (Let me know if there's something specific you want to hear.)

Audio Revelation:
  1. Although the owner will not be able to attend, he is sending down the following gear:
  2. Luxman P-200 Headphone Amp
  3. Bryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amp
  4. Audeze headphones (I am not sure which models he will be sending down.)

Cavalli Audio: (probably)
  1. Liquid Lightning
  2. Stax SRM-009

Equipment list:

darinf:
  1. Smyth Realiser A8 (I will try to have a separate room with my meager 2 channel Infinity/Carver system to do individual calibrations for those people interested in hearing what this processor can do.)
  2. Stax SR-407
  3. Stax SRM-323A Amp
  4. Etymotic ER4S
  5. iBasso D7 Sidewinder DAC
  6. Koss PortaPro with Kramer and Quarter mods(These things are amazing!)
  7. PC laptop running FooBar for source
  8. Panasonic Blu-Ray Player E6500 (for multi-channel surround source to feed the Realiser)
  9. Dune HD Max Media player

mike1127(tentative):
  1. Audeze LCD2
  2. (possibly) Sennheiser HD650 depending on if I get it modified
  3. Hifiman EF5 (modded) headphone amp
  4. Woo WA6-SE (modded) headphone amp
  5. PS Audio Lambda II transport
  6. K Works SuperBerry DAC

iamoneagain:
  1. Audio Technica L3000
  2. Audio Technica DHA3000 dac/amp
  3. Hiface 2 usb to coaxial converter
  4. iMac

xxhaxx:
  1. Paradox T50RP
  2. Vmoda M80
  3. Vmoda M100
  4. Dragonfly
  5. Laptop

Hiyono (tentative):
  1. Nuforce HDP
  2. Leckerton UHA-6S mkII
  3. Ibasso PB2 w/ Hifight kit
  4. Audeze LCD-3
  5. AKG K701
  6. Emm labs Dac2

mackat (by request):
  1. iMac 27"
  2. Mac Mini 16GB ram w/Audirvana+
  3. Schitt Gungnir DAC
  4. A PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
  5. Schiit Mjolnir
  6. A non-speedballed Bottlehead Crack
  7. Sennheiser HD650 w/ both 4-pin balanced and unbalanced cables, respectively.

Kiritz (tentative):
  1. Smyth Realiser A8
  2. Stax SR-207 headphones
  3. Stax SRM-252S amp
  4. Oppo BDP-95

Sherlockaled:
  1. Audio Technica ATH-CK10
  2. HiFiMan RE-0
  3. Philips CitiScape Uptown (maybe)

45longcolt:
  1. Schiit Gungnir
  2. Schitt Mjolnir

[b]Bookbear[/b]:
  1. Stax Lambda

azynneo:(tentative)
  1. Sennheiser hd800
  2. Cavalli Liquid Fire

Magedark:(tentative)
  1. Objective 2
  2. AKG K 500
  3. Koss Portapros

burnspbesq:
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Dragonfly
  3. Resonessence Concero (maybe)
  4. Bryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amp (maybe)
  5. HD 800s (maybe)

DannyBuoy:
  1. audio-gd NFB-1.32 balanced DAC with 32 bit USB/32 Bit Sabre and TXCO upgrades (with wireworld silver starlight usb)
  2. audio-gd NFB6 Balanced, discreet Amp connected via ACSS
  3. Project rm6sb turntable with Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthwak, battery phono stage (Audio Metallurlagy Silver OCC interconnects)
  4. Pioneer Elite 47Ai DVD-A/SACD/CD (with wireworld silver starlight digital optical)
  5. Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary with JDS Labs C-241
  6. LCD-2 with balanced Norse Audio 4 wire cable, Senn HD25 MKII, and my custom UM Melody's to plug into some nice portables hopefully...

sunninho:(tentative)

Headphones:
  1. Koss KSC35
  2. UE TF10
  1. Apuresound modded HD580 with HD600 grills and HD650 cables
  2. Fully modded LA7000
Amps:
  1. Fred Fred CMOY Class A
Sources:
  1. Hisoundaudio Rocoo BA
  2. Hisoundaudio Rocoo Studio (v1)
  3. Samsung Note 2 (hopefully)

jdmoorman:(coming in afternoon)
  1. iBasso DX100
  2. ALO Continental V2
  3. Beyerdynamic DT800/600 ohm headphones

purrin:
  1. PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC II
  2. Marantz CD Player (transport)
  3. Stax SR007 Headphones
  4. Stax T2 DIY Amp
  5. HE Audio Jade (modded) Headphones

Attendees list:

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 218
Meet Rules: (I stole these from the LA meet, so some of you should be familiar with them.)

1) Please treat others' gear with the utmost care and respect.
2) Do not unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
3) Do not turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
4) Do not move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
5) Always treat other headfiers with the utmost respect.
6) If a woman shows up - DO NOT GAWK. They are part of the human species and also deserve the utmost respect. Do not fear that this is the only one.
7) Do not bring ANY food or drinks near any equipment, including your own.
8) If you eat, please WASH YOUR DIRTY, GREASY HANDS BEFORE touching other people's equipment.
9) Do not ask the vendors too many questions. They want to have fun too and others may want to ask questions as well.
10) Always follow the rules of the host. He/She/They have been gracious enough to host a meet so he/she/they deserve the most respect and if you don't follow any of the above rules, AT LEAST follow this one.
11) No shirt, no shoes, no headphone meet.
12) Do not put screw drivers in electrical outlets, people's equipment or people's ears.
13) If it's summer - please wear deodorant.
14) If it's winter - please wear deodorant.
15) DO NOT wear hair gel or any cosmetic product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
16) Make sure your guests, if you bring any, follow the rules as well.

That said....HAVE FUN!

More information about the location:

1. To find the Winn Room, just go into the main entrance to the library which faces Orange Ave.

1. Once you go in the main doors, go to the right of the front desk. There is a door there to your left.

1. Go through the door and turn right until you are facing Orange Ave. again. Continue through the doors into the Winn Room.

Alternately, there is a entrance to the room from the outside. (See map below.) I am assuming we can use that entrance to load gear in and for people to enter the meet.

If you have any trouble finding the room, you can try calling me on my cell: 619-PHOTOG1 (619-seven four six - eight six four one)

The library opens at 10:00am. If you want to come then to get your gear set up and help setting up the tables, that would be great!

The room is great. It has floor to ceiling windows on three sides. There are lots of power outlets around the base of all four walls. They seem to be spaced about every 6 ft. Please still bring extension cords and power strips just in case.

I would also appreciate it if some people stay later to help put everything away and clean up the kitchen and room, etc.

Here's a map detail:

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 218
I should most likely be able to make it.

1. Audio Technica L3000
  2. Audio Technica DHA3000 dac/amp
  3. Hiface 2 usb to coaxial converter
  4. iMac

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 218
I will be exhibiting and showing the Mad Dog headphones, and have a Schiit Lyr and Bifrost and a Burson 160D.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 218
FYI, the date has been changed to November 3rd, 2012.

Please update your calendars.

Also let me know if anyone who already RSVP'd can't make it and I can remove you from the list.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Darin

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 218
I will attend.

I don't have anything out of the ordinary to take to the meet, but do let me know if you need help with anything.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 218
Quote:
I will attend.

I don't have anything out of the ordinary to take to the meet, but do let me know if you need help with anything.

Thanks for the offer. I will let you know.

If you do want to bring any gear you want to share, ordinary or not, please feel free. No worries if you don't bring anything though.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 218
Quote:
Hi,

I'll try to attend if I'm in town. I'll have some IEM that we're developing and ask for a review. You're the experts!

Thanks

That would be very cool. We would love to hear something new. Let me know as soon as you know if you can attend and I'll put you on the list.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 218
I am close to getting a room booked. I should get approval/confirmation in the next week or so. It looks like we will be able to have the meeting at the Coronado Library's Winn room. The only issue is that we ahve to be packed up and out of the room by 5:30pm, so I might change the hours a little bit earlier just to make sure we have enough time to pack up, put the tables and chairs away, etc.

I will post final details once I get their approval.

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 218
Hi,

I am considering going.  I live in LA tho so will have to see when it gets closer to the date.  

I have
Nuforce HDP
Leckerton UHA-6S mkII
Ibasso PB2 w/ Hifight kit
Audeze LCD-3
AKG K701

A Liquid Glass pre-ordered.  Wonder if it comes in by then.  I'll have ask Alex Cavalli.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back