Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 2, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,781 of 8,134
Yes. I've read your feedback of the Presonus HD7 in the Superlux thread. From your feedback, the difference isn't big compared to the HD668B. Thing is, I want my next upgrade to be substantial. I'm saving up for something in the $200 to 400 range, preferably open or semi-open. 

Cool.

I just did an A/B with the HD7 and 668B and the difference is in a slightly bigger 'body' to Adele's voice and a step towards the mic, but soundstage and the rest remains the same.

For a SL and SL OEM it's on the top end of that line of drivers and design. The best or nearly so.

The entire SL/OEM line is good, but you are correct in that it's just improvements within that frame and no farther. Only so far to go.

It's a very good $36 hp, but if you want BETTER then you are on the right track.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3,782 of 8,134
Cool.

I just did an A/B with the HD7 and 668B and the difference is in a slightly bigger 'body' to Adele's voice and a step towards the mic, but soundstage and the rest remains the same.

For a SL and SL OEM it's on the top end of that line of drivers and design. The best or nearly so.

The entire SL/OEM line is good, but you are correct in that it's just improvements within that frame and no farther. Only so far to go.

It's a very good $36 hp, but if you want BETTER then you are on the right track.

Bigger body and Adele in the same sentence. Pun intended? :D

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3,783 of 8,134
I guess it's time to update my list, since I've sold or traded away most of my collection since the last round.

1. Koss ESP/950
This has been my absolute favorite all-rounder since I first got it, and is the only headphone in my collection I've never really considered selling. Though build quality is a bit shoddy, the sound signature of this classic Koss combines all the best aspects of a 'stat with the warmth and involvement of the HD650.

2. Sennheiser HD650
Speak of the devil, here comes my favorite dynamic headphone under $1000. While I've heard an Alpha Dog and acknowledge that it's technically better, the warmth and intimacy of the HD650 is more in tune with what I like to hear. My pair hasn't hit the hundred hour mark yet, so I only expect it to get better

3. Mad Dog V3.2
My go-to headphone if I need something closed. About the same level of resolution as the HD650 (except when driven by a high-end rig, in which case the HD650 has an edge), but imaging isn't quite as accurate and bass doesn't have quite the hit.

4. Denon AH-C400
A versatile, fairly neutral IEM with top-notch build quality. Portable casual listening bliss, no amp required.

5. AKG K67
A bright, sparkly portable for those times when I don't want something in my ears. Much more resolving than you would expect from a DJ headphone, and actually a bit bass light for my tastes.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3,785 of 8,134
1) Stax SR-5 NB - this is my current favourite and will probably stay at the top for long...
Pro: Not so treble focussed as some other STAXen, fast and great stage, bass not too shy for a STAX
Contra: Needs stax or power amp and/or energizer - so not quite mobile, bass could be stronger at times, open back so no insulation

2) Etymotic HF2 - current mobile favourite
Pro: Neutral and revealing, great insulation
Contra: Bass not too strong but easy to equalize, dangerous in traffic due to high insulation, takes getting used to the deep insertion

3) AKG 240 Sextett MP
Pro: Fun to listen to, magic for voices and guitars, Punchy but not too deep bass
Contra: not neutral at all, rolled off high treble and rarely funny ringing, needs an amp

4) AKG 141 Monitor
Pro: more neutral than Sextett, but not totally neutral (or rather lifeless) like K240 Monitor
Contra: On ear design hurts after an hour or two

5) Beyer DT990
Pro: Moar Bass!
Contra: not neutral at all, treble hot, mid shy

6) Koss Porta Pro - only used on the road when eties are not an option - should mod 'em
Pro: good value for money, modding potential
Contra: stock bloated bass, stock treble shy

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #3,786 of 8,134
3) AKG 240 Sextett MP
Pro: Fun to listen to, magic for voices and guitars, Punchy but not too deep bass
Contra: not neutral at all, rolled off high treble and rarely funny ringing, needs an amp.

This might explain its current popularity. Older enthusiasts want to buy something from their youth and don't have the high treble hearing to worry about. Magic midrange also something middle aged enthusiasts tend to seek.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #3,787 of 8,134

3) AKG 240 Sextett MP
Contra: not neutral at all, rolled off high treble and rarely funny ringing, needs an amp.

This might explain its current popularity. Older enthusiasts want to buy something from their youth and don't have the high treble hearing to worry about. Magic midrange also something middle aged enthusiasts tend to seek.

Uh actually the Sextett is popular simply because it's a very good headphone.

The KOSS 4AA was far more common among the mainstream population than the Sextett, but it doesn't see nearly as much praise nowadays because it's not all that good by today's standards. The Sextett however, is. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,789 of 8,134
Does someone here has or had the Sennheiser HD700 and the AKG Q701, and can shed some light on differences and similarities ?
thanks!
The hd700 is one of the most boring phones I heard imo (sry to those who likes it). Akg q701 is great, but a bit bass shy and the treble is a bit too much for my ears. Try get some listening time if you can :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #3,791 of 8,134

Does someone here has or had the Sennheiser HD700 and the AKG Q701, and can shed some light on differences and similarities ?
thanks!

The hd700 is one of the most boring phones I heard imo (sry to those who likes it). Akg q701 is great, but a bit bass shy and the treble is a bit too much for my ears. Try get some listening time if you can
smily_headphones1.gif

... You found the HD700 boring but the Q701's treble was "too much"? The hell is wrong with your ears? 

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,792 of 8,134
  ... You found the HD700 boring but the Q701's treble was "too much"? The hell is wrong with your ears? 

Maybe easy on the attitude mate.

The HD700 treble ain't giving me headache, but the q701 does.
And it feels like HD700 ain't got a personality, which the Q701 got.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #3,793 of 8,134
Full Size/Over-Ear
1. Sennheiser HD600 - I almost never use this one but when I do...wow.
2. Shure SRH840 - Tied with the Amperior because both are very quick and balanced (to my ears). I just recently realized how much I liked neutral sound signatures with minimal reverb but I pick one of these two depending on the situation.
2. Sennheiser Amperior
4. Audio Technica AD700X - Dedicated gaming headphones.
5. Ultrasone PRO550 with PRO750 pads and PRO900 straight cable - I've had this pair for a really long time, and I've spent a lot of time gaming with this headphone and listening to EDM.

IEM
1. Sennheiser IE80 - For whatever reason, I like how "organic" the IE80 sounds compared to the Westone UM3X
2. Westone UM3X RC - I love listening to this when I travel (fly). Great isolation for an universal in-ear.
3. Meelectronics M6 - My dedicated running pair because of how cheap they are and how much bass they can produce even when running.
4. Meelectronics M-Duo - Kind of a V-shaped sound signature with mids missing in some cases. Takes some getting used to.
5. Meelectroncis M9 - Heavy bass is heavy. I used to like this pair a lot and because it was so cheap, it just made sense to get one of these, too.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,794 of 8,134
Maybe easy on the attitude mate.

The HD700 treble ain't giving me headache, but the q701 does.

And it feels like HD700 ain't got a personality, which the Q701 got.

That's probably the lower treble glare bothering you on the Q701. I didn't really have issues with the HD 700s treble either, I agree it being lacking in character. I found the HD 800 brighter and more fatiguing than the HD 700. It also lacked character like the HD 700.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #3,795 of 8,134
thanks!

I wont get into detail here, but I have had both. My K702 and Q701 were eventually replaced with the K702.65. They both have their place in my stable. Both are great cans, but I prefer the HD 700 over the Q701 for most purposes except where I need a little more depth in my soundstage. I think that's the only aspect where the Q701 is better than the HD 700 for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back