Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #8,086 of 8,137
  1. HE-6 (6 screw)
  2. ZMF Caldera
  3. LCD-4
  4. Utopia OG
  5. ZMF Ori (about 3 years ago I contacted Zac based on other commentary about the Ori, and just asked if he had any. He sold me a Sandlewood version he had in the shop. Love it!)
  6. ZMF Verite
  7. HE6 SEv2
  8. Elex
  9. Stelliance (Bentley with Stellia drivers)
  10. ZMF Blackwood (more for collection sake)
  11. HD-800 (for gaming)
  12. HD-700 that I need to sell that was replaced by the 800 for gaming
I find myself gravitating to the planars much more frequently these days.

I would love to try the Tungsten. But based on what I’ve read I may already have that signature covered with my current collection.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #8,087 of 8,137
Love that you have an Ori. I can't remember the last time I saw a ZMR t50mod for sale on head-fi. They have become unicorns, but there are thousands out there in the wild. I guess people are holding onto them because they are super fun.
I like how you put it…. Thousands still out in the wild. lol. They’re like an endangered species but not quite a unicorn yet. I’ll never sell mine. They’re one of the most pure, enjoyable, can’t take ‘em off my head, fun headphones I’ve ever owned. I mean these are really good

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #8,089 of 8,137
Well, not really. My HE1000 sounded quite terrible, very harsh trebles. It was impossible to listen to any voice or cymbals. Thus I retured the HE1000V2.
The R10D is only an addition to a more neutral headphone. I cant listen to everything with the R10D. Basically everything that has some room between low end and upper mids sounds great. Double bass with violins or female voice. So it's great for specific music. And in that case it adds a lot with it's dark warm timbre.
But I guess it depends on what you are used to. I used my 20y old AKG 701 for most time of my life. It's quite neutral, everything is balanced and it's not superior in any specific category.
The R10P is really 10x better than the R10D in general. But for specific music the R10D is more fun, more excitement.
One headphone is never enough 😉

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #8,090 of 8,137
You confirm my opinion about HE1000. And i alwyas thougt something wrong with me when i was listening other people opinions about these headhpones. Best in the world and etc. But for me this is a very strange headphones with 50$ dollar sound. But to be honest i want listen to R10P and Susvara, not gonna lie.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #8,091 of 8,137
  1. Hifiman Arya (V2 w/ Dekoni Elite Hybrid Pads)
  2. Dan Clark Audio ÆON 2 Noire
  3. Fostex TH610 (w/ Full Lawton Mod + Black Limba Chambers + ZMF Universe Perforated Lambskin Pads)
  4. Focal Clear (OG w/ ZMF Focal+ Subs Perforated Lambskin Pads)
  5. Meze 109 Pro
  6. Grado Hemp (w/ Dekoni Custom Velour Pads)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #8,092 of 8,137
HD660S2
HE-500
RS-1x
HD650
Mobius
HE-5xx
DT880 (600 ohm)
Pro900
T70

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #8,093 of 8,137
Right now, the HD660S2 is at the top of my collection. The MM-100 doesn't scale as high but it's a lot easier to drive and I do love that bass extension. That said, the S2 wins pretty much every other category. To be honest, the extent to which I've bonded with the S2 has surprised me. I just did a tone sweep and when I slowly went from 4 to 6 kHz, the S2 didn't exhibit any audible dips. Some of the early reviewers may have been lukewarm on the S2 but I think it's the best in the series.

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #8,095 of 8,137
Alright, I think I'm confident in my new ranking. My taste in headphones changes based on what music I'm stuck on, so I'm trying to weigh that against technical abilities.

1. Hifiman HE-500
2. Moondrop Para
3. Hifiman Arya V2
4. Sennheiser HD800S (more or less tied with the Arya, since they sound so similar)
5. Hifiman HE-R10D
6. Hifiman HE-R9
7. Koss ESP-950
8. Beyerdynamic DT1770
9. Hifiman HE-5XX
10. Hifiman Sundara
11. Hifiman Sundara Closed
11. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
12. Sendy Aiva
13. AKG K612

The Para is still absolutely knocking my socks off. It's odd to me how dynamic they sound, considering they are mid-centric, but not shouty. Typically I find that if a headphone is mid-centric they sound a bit sleepy or laid back, but the Para is relentlessly energetic. They are the absolute king of classic rock as far as I'm concerned, soundly beating the HE-500. The Arya and HD800S have technical qualities that are better, but the Para isn't far behind, while still being more "musical".

The HE-R10D and R9 are endlessly enjoyable, but lack the fine precision to beat out the HD800S and Arya. Basically everything under the R9 are enjoyable, and I break them out from time to time to listen to, but generally don't see a ton of head time.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #8,096 of 8,137
I like how you put it…. Thousands still out in the wild. lol. They’re like an endangered species but not quite a unicorn yet. I’ll never sell mine. They’re one of the most pure, enjoyable, can’t take ‘em off my head, fun headphones I’ve ever owned. I mean these are really good
They are. I had a pair of Vibro MK1's and an original Omni before the name changed. I let both go and regret it to this day. Especially the Vibro MK1. That headphone was a treat. I miss them. I sold them before I knew what I had... I have very few regrets in this hobby, that is one of them. The other was selling my Pathos Aurium. That amp was awesome... Especially with the Quad ERA-1. What a combo...

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #8,097 of 8,137
They are. I had a pair of Vibro MK1's and an original Omni before the name changed. I let both go and regret it to this day. Especially the Vibro MK1. That headphone was a treat. I miss them. I sold them before I knew what I had... I have very few regrets in this hobby, that is one of them. The other was selling my Pathos Aurium. That amp was awesome... Especially with the Quad ERA-1. What a combo...
Lol. I previously owned every single headphone and piece of equipment you listed here as well lol (except my onni was a ori). All of it was really good stuff.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #8,098 of 8,137
From what I own at the moment:

- Meze Elite
- Sash Tres SE 25ohm
- Meze Liric
- Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1
- Beyerdynamic Amiron Home

Best overall is the Elite but I'd like to mention that the SASH très SE is by far the best bang for the (euro)buck. At just €500/$500 you get a headphone that can easily compete with the 2K - 4K headphones. The SE adds all the refinement the original très was missing, it's really incredible what you get. When the Amiron Home was new it was about 500 €/$ but it dwarves compared to the SASH très SE.
Liric is perhaps the most versatile of the bunch. Closed back/isolation god, easy drivable, comfort king and then some.

In storage I have a few more headhones that I try from time to time:

- Sash Tres 16ohm
- Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm (2x3.5mm modded)
- AKG K242 sextett (2x3.5mm modded)
- Beyerdynamic DT 880 Chrome Special Edition
- Beyerdynamic TYGR-300R (2x3.5mm modded)

From these the DT 700 pro X and DT 770/80 are worth mentioning. The DT 700 pro X are just good V shaped closed backs that deserve more attention, but unfortunately for them I also got Liric. The DT 770/80 are modded with the V3 mod system from Custom Cans and that mod really matures the DT 770 and brings it closer to neutral headphones. Great stuff while not costing a fortune.

Next to that I own 3 IEMS
- UM Mest mk2
- Truthear zero: red
- KZ PR2

For the Mest mk2 I made my own custom eartips by using the sugru mod on a pair of Azla Crystal tips (all details here: https://www.imore.com/diy-make-your-own-moldable-ear-buds-cheap).
The KZ is what KZ is: avoid at all costs. Even if it's dirt cheap. This company is vile, toxic waste.
Early 2024 update:

- Stax SR-007a (port modded)
- Meze Elite
- Sash Tres SE 25ohm
- Meze Liric
- Beyerdynamic Amiron Home

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #8,100 of 8,137
You all are making me want to try the 660s2, even though I've never fallen in love with any of the other 600 series I've owned.
It's still very much a part of the family. It's just that some of the under the hood changes result in a different experience from the others in the 6-series. Technically, it's a bit of an upgrade (no 3 blob imaging), staging is more natural and precise. But the big changes are upper mids are not as forward instead sitting back with everything else, and bass SPL is improved significantly. It only partially shows up on FR graphs but the experience of listening to the S2 is the bass is way more satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Tano
Back