Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #8,118 of 8,134
Chain: TIDAL hi-res->Cambridge MX-10->Schiit Gumby A1->Ragnarok 1.5 (for HD-600: BHCs (Amperex E80CC)

55%: Mini monitor: Fountek X3.0 ribbon, ScanSpeak 12RC; 4th order L-R crossover in ProAc Tablette Box - from 120 Hz up its my best

15%: Female vocals: HE-500 (fuzzor, DCA Ether Angled, Arctic screens, dynamat, Black Dragon XLR)

15%: dynamic/low distortion: HE-6 SE (DCA Ether Angled, Arctic screens, dynamat, fuzzor, CC XLR)

15%: Acoustic/timbre: HD-600 (dynamat. felt, CC XLR) Note: foam/fabric restoration from CC ring mod fiasco

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #8,119 of 8,134
time to have an update to my ranking (after getting 3 new sets in 2024!). my desire get new headphones is subsiding and properly won't looking to buy any new one for a while as i think i already getting too many but spent too little time in enjoying music :disappointed_relieved:

my preference of my current collection (purely subjective and i don't wish to put product from same brand name twice in this list so some are skipped even I might actually like them better then the other in the list e.g. he1000se) are:
  1. Susvara - still no doubt the best. beautifully musical and could handle most music genres wonderfully and never sounds offensive.
  2. ATH-L5000 - really great, luxurious leather cladded outlook, fun tunning, hard hitting and tunned for ACG music and female vocal i loved! and it's very easy to drive to adequate listening volume (something SUS and 1266 notoriously known for on the opposite side)
  3. Abyss 1266 phi tc - great fun, second to none bass, spacious sound, probably the most sturdy built of all, just the wearing comfort is the worst possible. it's a torture to wear this. even extending to the max, there's still not enough width to accommodate my big head. i can't help but downgrading it.
  4. T+A solitaire P-SE - surprisingly good and enjoyable. very much an improved version of HD800s except the soundstage is substantially reduced but still enjoyable. very well built, comfortable to wear and a very hard to fault choice.
  5. Victor HA-WM90b - fun, very good bass and warm tuning also well suited for pop music. the leather storage case and 100yrs water submerged wooden cup are both very well made.
  6. Austrian Audio Composer - new toys syndrome. sounds really fun and exceptionally easy to drive for overears. light weight and comfortable. i bought the heddphone 2 first which was much lower priced. but i kept itching to get the composer and finally bought it too (another painful lesson not to save a few bucks for the 2nd best you like!!!). even it got dynamic driver, there's more treble and details than the heddphone 2. wearing comfort also far better.
  7. DCA expanses - i bought several mr. speakers/DCA headphones (expanses, stealth, ether2, aeon open, ether cx ) and this is easily their best for me and the only one i really like! everytime i listened to other headphones and switch back to the expanses, i was amazed by how clean the sound is. this is also supplemented with a tasteful boast of bass and really enjoyable.
  8. YH-5000SE - from the look alone, this should be on the favourite list of most people of my era! it just looks like the headphone for darth vader. very light weight and built quality is second to none. sound is good but not the best strength of these attractive headphones. i also bought utopia OG & SG as well as stellia. sound quality is comparable but just the look and construction quality of yh-5000se are far, far better!
  9. Pioneer SE-master1 - very well built and i got mine brand new at a heavily discounted price last year. the marketing seems hinting this is a studio monitor type thing and carried the air studio collaboration mark. i personally found it bass boasted and more of a fun tuning for the public.
  10. HD800s - from my own perspective, the original hd800 is the one headphone that shaped the headfi landscape into what we know now. i bought my hd580 new for less than us$100 and yet after the very successful hd600 family, sennheiser released this landmark product at us$1500 (i bought the contemporary k812 at just us$600)!!! the industrial design and built quality are second to none. despite adopting a futuristic design approach, it is still one of the best design after 14 years. except for hair yanking, there's also no complaint at all for the comfort. i wish for a bit more bass, but otherwise there's nothing i'm unhappy about the sound of this excellent product.
  11. ZMF Bokeh - i got the VO then VC and frankly not very impressed by both. this much lower priced little brother, however, is another story. the wooden cup still looks like from small workshop and not really impressively well made. but the tuning is much more lively and fun than both VC/VO! I prefer this to the bigger brothers despite the price depairity.
  12. D8000 - i bought d8kpro in silver first but got a 2nd hand d8k in black at an very attractive price afterwards. the d8k has better bass and sounds a bit more spacious. this is another headphones which the industrial design is top notch! the headphone stand also are very cleverly design. btw, i demoed the D7k too twice in tokyo. i like D7k better and might thinking to get one in the future.
  13. ML no. 5099 - this is really a gem! such convenience of being wireless (and also true passive mode available if you care to drive it by headphone amp) with truly decent sound quality (tuned to harman target curve - so you could guess if you'd like it). the convenience of being wireless is so great this is my daily headphones. it also got the best wireless stability/range for all wireless headphones/tws earbuds i got. it sounds noticeably better than bathys and solitaire T to me. sorry that it seems never get the attention it deserves (as most headfi products from harman recently)
  14. adx5000 - the effort went into package is excessive (also true for most high-end ATH cans). i think it aims squarely at hd800s but sadly it sounds less attractive to me and priced a bit higher than hd800s which makes this seemingly not a good choice to most people
  15. Focal Utopia SG - slightly warmer than the OG. sounds great in many metrics but not soundstage. it's good but just the price is ridiculously high for what it offers, even this set is built with high quality material. btw, many cans use carbon fibre but none was looking as good and felt as high quality as the SG's carbon yoke (still couldn't justify the asking price to me though).

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #8,120 of 8,134
Neumann NDH-30 [w/Fog City Mogami re-cable]
K702|65th Anniversary [w/Chi-Fi OCC re-cable]
Sennheiser HD8xx [w/Audio Envy ToneKraft re-cable]

[These are the three I am currently comparing, matched with the SMSL D400EX and Schiit LYR+.]

The NDH-30 will go up against against the Focal Clear OG and AKG K340 in the second heat.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #8,121 of 8,134
I'm a newbie, so my collection is limited. I'm driving everything with a Fiio Q15 (which replaced an iFi Hip Dac 3 that wasn't cutting it).

In order of preference:

1. Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed -- as much headphone as I anticipate needing. I understand I can essentially have a Noire if I want to buy buying the Noire cups. At $50 it's probably worth a try. If it worked, I'd basically have two slightly different headphones in one.
2. Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X -- okay, but a pretty distant 2nd place
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x -- I thought these were okay until I hooked them up to a real DAC. Ugh.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #8,122 of 8,134
time to have an update to my ranking (after getting 3 new sets in 2024!). my desire get new headphones is subsiding and properly won't looking to buy any new one for a while as i think i already getting too many but spent too little time in enjoying music :disappointed_relieved:

my preference of my current collection (purely subjective and i don't wish to put product from same brand name twice in this list so some are skipped even I might actually like them better then the other in the list e.g. he1000se) are:
  1. Susvara - still no doubt the best. beautifully musical and could handle most music genres wonderfully and never sounds offensive.
  2. ATH-L5000 - really great, luxurious leather cladded outlook, fun tunning, hard hitting and tunned for ACG music and female vocal i loved! and it's very easy to drive to adequate listening volume (something SUS and 1266 notoriously known for on the opposite side)
  3. Abyss 1266 phi tc - great fun, second to none bass, spacious sound, probably the most sturdy built of all, just the wearing comfort is the worst possible. it's a torture to wear this. even extending to the max, there's still not enough width to accommodate my big head. i can't help but downgrading it.
  4. T+A solitaire P-SE - surprisingly good and enjoyable. very much an improved version of HD800s except the soundstage is substantially reduced but still enjoyable. very well built, comfortable to wear and a very hard to fault choice.
  5. Victor HA-WM90b - fun, very good bass and warm tuning also well suited for pop music. the leather storage case and 100yrs water submerged wooden cup are both very well made.
  6. Austrian Audio Composer - new toys syndrome. sounds really fun and exceptionally easy to drive for overears. light weight and comfortable. i bought the heddphone 2 first which was much lower priced. but i kept itching to get the composer and finally bought it too (another painful lesson not to save a few bucks for the 2nd best you like!!!). even it got dynamic driver, there's more treble and details than the heddphone 2. wearing comfort also far better.
  7. DCA expanses - i bought several mr. speakers/DCA headphones (expanses, stealth, ether2, aeon open, ether cx ) and this is easily their best for me and the only one i really like! everytime i listened to other headphones and switch back to the expanses, i was amazed by how clean the sound is. this is also supplemented with a tasteful boast of bass and really enjoyable.
  8. YH-5000SE - from the look alone, this should be on the favourite list of most people of my era! it just looks like the headphone for darth vader. very light weight and built quality is second to none. sound is good but not the best strength of these attractive headphones. i also bought utopia OG & SG as well as stellia. sound quality is comparable but just the look and construction quality of yh-5000se are far, far better!
  9. Pioneer SE-master1 - very well built and i got mine brand new at a heavily discounted price last year. the marketing seems hinting this is a studio monitor type thing and carried the air studio collaboration mark. i personally found it bass boasted and more of a fun tuning for the public.
  10. HD800s - from my own perspective, the original hd800 is the one headphone that shaped the headfi landscape into what we know now. i bought my hd580 new for less than us$100 and yet after the very successful hd600 family, sennheiser released this landmark product at us$1500 (i bought the contemporary k812 at just us$600)!!! the industrial design and built quality are second to none. despite adopting a futuristic design approach, it is still one of the best design after 14 years. except for hair yanking, there's also no complaint at all for the comfort. i wish for a bit more bass, but otherwise there's nothing i'm unhappy about the sound of this excellent product.
  11. ZMF Bokeh - i got the VO then VC and frankly not very impressed by both. this much lower priced little brother, however, is another story. the wooden cup still looks like from small workshop and not really impressively well made. but the tuning is much more lively and fun than both VC/VO! I prefer this to the bigger brothers despite the price depairity.
  12. D8000 - i bought d8kpro in silver first but got a 2nd hand d8k in black at an very attractive price afterwards. the d8k has better bass and sounds a bit more spacious. this is another headphones which the industrial design is top notch! the headphone stand also are very cleverly design. btw, i demoed the D7k too twice in tokyo. i like D7k better and might thinking to get one in the future.
  13. ML no. 5099 - this is really a gem! such convenience of being wireless (and also true passive mode available if you care to drive it by headphone amp) with truly decent sound quality (tuned to harman target curve - so you could guess if you'd like it). the convenience of being wireless is so great this is my daily headphones. it also got the best wireless stability/range for all wireless headphones/tws earbuds i got. it sounds noticeably better than bathys and solitaire T to me. sorry that it seems never get the attention it deserves (as most headfi products from harman recently)
  14. adx5000 - the effort went into package is excessive (also true for most high-end ATH cans). i think it aims squarely at hd800s but sadly it sounds less attractive to me and priced a bit higher than hd800s which makes this seemingly not a good choice to most people
  15. Focal Utopia SG - slightly warmer than the OG. sounds great in many metrics but not soundstage. it's good but just the price is ridiculously high for what it offers, even this set is built with high quality material. btw, many cans use carbon fibre but none was looking as good and felt as high quality as the SG's carbon yoke (still couldn't justify the asking price to me though).
Just looked at your sig. How in the name of all that is holy do you have so many headphones? :) I'd love to have just a couple more for giggles, but man.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #8,123 of 8,134
HI All!

I have a strange list of headphones, here it is:

1. STAX SR-Lambda PRO with SRM-313 or 717. They are very light, very comfortable to wear. Exceptional balance between a detailed and rich sound with airy representation, decent amount of bass and no fatigue at all. You can listen to the music very loud and just enjoy it without distraction.
2. STAX Airbow SC21 are way more advanced in sound representation than the L Pro. A bit heavier, a little bit more fatigue due to the amount of details, bass and more tight sound, so I placed them below the L Pro.
3. Beyerdynamic DT-150 (250 Ohm): very old, but robust studio gear that you can buy to this day. Wonderful closed design with no "closed design sound". Used them inside and outside of the house and they never disappointed. They need a very good amplifier to shine.
4. Philips SHP-5401: cheap crappy little plastic headphones with squeaky headband meant to be used with TVs. But somehow they used some mysterious wonderful drivers, very easy to drive, very responsive to the amplifier/dac quality. One time I was selling the Alessandro Music Series Pro and the buyer liked the sound of these Phillips headphones better. Unfortunately very hard to find now.

Hopefully I will get my hands on more STAX earspeakers and the list will be extended upwards :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #8,124 of 8,134
In order of preference:

1. Fostex t5050rp/t6050rp
2. Philips Fidelio X3
3. Beyerdynamic Dt 770
4. Koss UR 40
5. Philips SHP9600
6. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

The only ones I really dislike are the SHPs and the M50xs. These were amongst the first headphones I have ever bought given they are recommended a lot online; I find them to be pretty bad once I was able to try more headphones.

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #8,126 of 8,134
Neumann NDH-30 [Fog City Mogami hpc]
AKG K702|65th Ann. [Chi-Fi OCC hpc]
Ultrasone 780i PRO [BrainWavz Hybrid Oval pads, Forza AudioWorks Claire Hybrid hpc]
Sennheiser HD8xx [Audio Envy ToneKraft hpc]

. . . planning to pit the current #1, NDH-30, against the Clear OG [NeoTech UPOCC hpc] and Beerdynamic Amiron Home [Chi-Fi OCC hpc] and reassess . . .

[Test Tracks: Touch of Rain (Yoshio Suzuki), Spring Ain't Here (Pat Metheny Group), Nautilus (Bob James Trio), Why Not Me (The Judds), Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns: Danse Macabre (Charles Dutoit, Philharmonia Orchestra)]

[Front End: Lenovo G50|Apple Music, S.M.S.L. D400EX, Schiit LYR+|2x Sylvania 6J5]

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #8,127 of 8,134
Audeze MM-500 [NeoTech UPOCC 4x 22AWG solid core silver] . . . Oratory 1990 EQ
Neumann NDH-30 [Fog City Mogami hpc] . . . Oratory 1990 EQ
Denon AH-D5000 [stock cable] . . . AutoEQ
AKG K340 [stock cable] . . . AutoEQ

Focal Clear OG [NeoTech UPOCC hybrid 4-cores silver + 4-cores copper hpc]
AKG K702|65th Ann. [Chi-Fi OCC hpc]
Ultrasone 780i PRO [BrainWavz Hybrid Oval pads, Forza AudioWorks Claire Hybrid hpc]
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home [sheepskin earpads*, ChiFi OCC hpc] (*)ear pads are not optimal, with bass overemphasis imposing a veil
Sennheiser HD8xx [Audio Envy ToneKraft hpc]

The NDH-30 and Clear OG warrant more a/b-ing. [My guess is that the Neumann might more easily be granted the overall edge if they were also re-cabled with the NeoTech UPOCC hybrid.]

Will put one or the other of these two up against the Denon AH-D5000 [stock cable] and the AKG K340 [stock cable] in the next round, Deo volente.

Postscript:
(i) Am leaving the NDH-30 as #1 for their superior openness, definition, soundstage width/height and overall balance [inferior cable notwithstanding]. The Clear OG offer a denser [and perhaps a slightly more nuanced tonality], slightly greater front-to-back dimensionality and an overlay of "musicality", but simply do not sound as honest and complete as the Neumann.

(ii) See third round of update(s) in blue.

(iii) Next up:
HEDDphone One, Audeze MM-500

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #8,128 of 8,134
You confirm my opinion about HE1000. And i alwyas thougt something wrong with me when i was listening other people opinions about these headhpones. Best in the world and etc. But for me this is a very strange headphones with 50$ dollar sound. But to be honest i want listen to R10P and Susvara, not gonna lie.
I absolutely love my HE1000 Stealth, but it doesn't surprise me at all to hear people say this. I'd hate these headphones on brighter, more clinical source gear, like SABRE DACs and ChiFi amps. They walk that line for me, of being too bright, and it won't take much to push them over that edge. But on a warmer DAC and Amp, these things absolutely bask in such pairings, and become wonderfully musical, while still maintaining phenomenal levels of detail, air, and transparency.

From a certain perspective, you could say they just tell you what your source gear sounds like. They are not forgiving. lol

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #8,129 of 8,134
These are my top 6 headphones currently, I listen to all of these very frequently. Some are undecided on ranking as they are new but I like them enough I am confident they will stay in my top 6 most liked headphones. The top headphone will likely not change, it's been my favorite for over 3 years now.

1.) Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 3
2.) Sennheiser HD 660S2
3.) Audio-Technica ATH-R70x
4.) Sennheiser HD 650
?.) Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X (still quite new)
?.) Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X (my newest headphone)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #8,130 of 8,134
I‘d say
1. TH900 Blue
2. TH900 mk2
3. TH900 Green
4......You can imagine the rest of the various colors of th900 lolz
Well in fact
the reason why the TH900 is so important to me is because it's my first pair of full-size headphone. At the time I sold all my iems and turned into 'head'phones, it truly impressed me the first time I put it on. Especially as a basshead, when I heard its powerful and overwhelming punchy bass, I was completely captivated.
Later on, I tried many other amazing headphones, each of them has its own distinctive characteristics, some were better than TH900 and some weren't, but anyway, the TH900 always holds a special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back