OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Oct 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #121 of 242
Sony MDR-7509P (In canada things are a little more expensive so I paid $151 after tax but even for that price their amazing)
In the USA they go for between $100-$130, they in my opinion out perform the Shure SRH840.

Apex HP96 ($74.95 CAN before tax)
Sounds EXACTLY like the pioneer HDJ-1500 for half the price. They felt a little loose on my head though and I`m not sure if they`d last long.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #122 of 242
you guys should take a look at this thread...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182-jvcs-fx40-pg-83-fx101-pg-96

but from what i've read in that thread and heard from getting my non-audiophile friend to buy them, these sound very good. Pretty similar to m50s with the extension in the high frequencies. I wouldn't trade my re-zeros for them but they are definitely cost effective.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #123 of 242
Quote:
Possibly worthy to be added to the OP. Anyone else try these?
Also I have a pair of Meelectrictronics M6 coming to me next week. The opinions on those seemed to vary in terms of value. Guess I'll get a chance to judge for myself.

Concensus is that the FX40 is an upgrade from those Tusrus
M6, Lets wait and see if you have the same opinion that i have of them.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #124 of 242
Ok just got in the MEElectronics M6 IEM.

How can I put this as politely as possible...... Let's just say it won't be going on my value list.

Just total bloated overwelming one note bass drowing out anything else resulting in a muffled sound. NOT a good buy for the money. Just not really a good buy period IMO considering the 7 dollar monoprice smokes these. I could think of a dozen budget IEMs I would buy over these. Maybe even bose in ear is a hair better than these. That's saying something. Sorry for whomever mentioned these a few pages back. Aint happening.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #125 of 242
Well doc at least we know our ears are working,  to me they were my gym phones for years because of the design and memory cord but for sq they are straight up junk to me. Many many phones that beat these out even at a lower price.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #126 of 242
If you want a couple of full size cans to recommend the 2 best values has to be,

a) Fostex T50rp - insanley good once modded and have been found to (some say) 90% of the audeze lcd 2. Im modding my 2nd set right now and they are truly mind blowing.

b)Superlux 668b again hits with phones upwards of £100, such as open senns, imho better than the m50's  these are one every cat on a budget should own.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #127 of 242
Well doc at least we know our ears are working,  to me they were my gym phones for years because of the design and memory cord but for sq they are straight up junk to me. Many many phones that beat these out even at a lower price.

Yea, I am trying to decide if I want to try to modd them or sell them off on ebay. Thinking if I drill small holes in the casing maybe that hideous bass bloat will settle down. IDK...

If you want a couple of full size cans to recommend the 2 best values has to be,

a) Fostex T50rp - insanley good once modded and have been found to (some say) 90% of the audeze lcd 2. Im modding my 2nd set right now and they are truly mind blowing.

b)Superlux 668b again hits with phones upwards of £100, such as open senns, imho better than the m50's  these are one every cat on a budget should own.

Im going to look up that mod. Superlux sounds like a good candidate in that price range. I wonder where I can get my hands on a pair to audition around here.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #128 of 242
Big thread called "wow i just listened to t50rp"  or similar.   

I have just finished modding a set of the superlux as well (actually the samson sr850 ((same oem)) new cable, coin mod, weighting on the drivers and beyer pads.  The sound brilliant stock though the mods are just slight tweeks.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #129 of 242
Quote:
#1 -- JVC HA-S500 (import from Japan only -- see amazon)
#2 -- JVC HA-FX40

JVC HA-FX40: Finally got these in and without the well known "200 hours of burn in" that many on here say they require before they smooth out, they still are a FIRM number 2 on my list. I paid 19 dollars for them and they are better than my previous favorite budget IEM (Sennheisers below). I might as well put the entire carbon nanotube line on here but I can only describe what I have tried so far. They have more bass emphasis so I would suggest the FXD70 if you arent into that because I hear they are much more neutral. Cant decide if I like them better with foam or stock tips yet.

Hopefully the S500's will go to the top of my over-performing list whenever I get them!

I am trying out the FX40's now ($29CN at Futureshop), and I will reserve judgement until I get them burned in, because for me the the treble needs to be tamed. But in the process of trying them, I discovered the Panasonic HJE355 ($25CN) which I have also been trying out. I am a bit blown away by them actually, so if you ever get a chance, please give them a whirl and let me know if I'm on drugs or not :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #130 of 242
Big thread called "wow i just listened to t50rp"  or similar.   

I completely agree on the t50p. Now I want to hear them. But please do this..... You have made some constructive suggestions to this thread. Why don't you make a short list of like 4 or 5 top overachievers with a short blurb about each one and I will just add a "Stozzer's List" section on the OP.

Hopefully the S500's will go to the top of my over-performing list whenever I get them!

I am trying out the FX40's now ($29CN at Futureshop), and I will reserve judgement until I get them burned in, because for me the the treble needs to be tamed. But in the process of trying them, I discovered the Panasonic HJE355 ($25CN) which I have also been trying out. I am a bit blown away by them actually, so if you ever get a chance, please give them a whirl and let me know if I'm on drugs or not :)

Yea the FX40 only go on my list with the comply tips. They take the edge off of those highs. I thought the burn in process did help wtih this though I am not a huge promoter of the whole burn in idea usually. I'll add the panasonics to my list of iems to get my hands on.

I think I might make a section for phones that need mods to really be overachievers like the KSC75, the Fostex stozzer mentioned, and technically if an iem or a set of cans need new pads or tips to than what they come with, I would consider that a mod in itself. For example the JVC S500 only really shine with the HD25 pleather pads or for some people the AT pleather pads.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #131 of 242
Quote:
Yea the FX40 only go on my list with the comply tips. They take the edge off of those highs. I thought the burn in process did help wtih this though I am not a huge promoter of the whole burn in idea usually. I'll add the panasonics to my list of iems to get my hands on.

Thought I'd give my S500's a rest for a bit (tough to do lol!) and try the memory foam tips on the FX40 as per your suggestion before giving up on them. Wow, what a difference! You are absolutely right that they take the edge off of the highs. They now seem to sound incredibly good! Very full, even sound. Great mids. And quite a good kick to the bass, yet the bass is still very tight. In comparison, I am now not feeling the love as much for the HJE355 - they now seem more treble happy (and insipid everywhere else). In fact, the FX40 now sounds kind of like the S500, but in my ears. Unreal. I guess this is the carbon nanotube effect. I can understand how changing pads on a headphone can change the sound significantly, but I find it amazing that changing the tips on an iem can make such a difference. Anyway, I am quickly becoming a jvc carbon nanotube believer. I suppose I will now have to start looking into the higher end jvc iems. Sigh!

Quote:
I think I might make a section for phones that need mods to really be overachievers like the KSC75, the Fostex stozzer mentioned, and technically if an iem or a set of cans need new pads or tips to than what they come with, I would consider that a mod in itself. For example the JVC S500 only really shine with the HD25 pleather pads or for some people the AT pleather pads.

Good idea! I was already a believer in mods due to the ksc75's. When I had them on the clips, they didn't do much for me. But once I got them closer to the ears and did the driver cover mods...  sweet - they still put a smile on my face due to their wonderful mids. I'm waiting for the AT pleather pads for the S500 - should be interesting. I may consider the HD25 pleathers also due to your opinions. I am really loving the overall SQ of the S500 with the stock pads, but if some of these pads can get the mids a bit more forward, that would work very well for me.

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions!

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #132 of 242
Well it's good to hear that we are getting the same thing from those JVC's. Glad it worked out for you too! Trying to get my hands on more overperformers to try out..

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #134 of 242
With all the headphones available and their respective street prices.

The M50 shouldn't be here anymore. It has several competitors now for near or at the same price like the Shure SRH-840, (Which in my opinion is better than the M50)

My suggestion would be the 840's. Clean, warm sound, great durability (Unlike its big brother the 940's) and portable (too an extent)
Can be found for 110-130$~

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #135 of 242
the superlux hd660 just came in today,  and I have never used this term with any other equipment, GIANT KILLERS.

FORGET THE M50, FORGET SHURE SRH440 AND 840

These are absolutely sick phones for rock and electronic i am utterly uterlly blown away right now.  Usually you will find me being more cynical than most with equipment but WOW.

They aren't just bang for buck, they are outstanding in their own right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back