OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Oct 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #136 of 242
the superlux hd660 just came in today,  and I have never used this term with any other equipment, GIANT KILLERS.

FORGET THE M50, FORGET SHURE SRH440 AND 840

These are absolutely sick phones for rock and electronic i am utterly uterlly blown away right now.  Usually you will find me being more cynical than most with equipment but WOW.

They aren't just bang for buck, they are outstanding in their own right!

Stozzer where is you list!?

make me a top 5 list with a blurb about each (once sentence or so) saying who or what they outperform so I can add it to the OP.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #138 of 242
Edited to add pics to OP and clean it up a LOT. Pls post your top 3 overperformers or tell me if I missed any goodies.

Awesome job! I enjoyed the re-read. I'm looking forward to posting my top 3 when I've had a chance to let things settle. But, the s500 will have the #1 slot for me also (love these things).

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #140 of 242
For great value, Koss KSC75, JVC FXT90, Phonak PFE012 + grey filters, Etymotic HF5, ER4S, Hifiman RE0, RE262, Fostex T50RP, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and AKG K701/2/Q701 come to my mind. Sennheiser HD650, Hifiman HE-500 and Shure SRH1840 also seem to be very good values for high-end headphones IMO. There are many others though that are great bangs for the buck - it all depends on listener's preferences.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #141 of 242
Well I just listened to the famed SHE3580 finally. I ordered one for 7 bucks and wouldn't you know the next day went into the TJMaxx next to where I sometimes have lunch and they had a pair in the checkout line..... so now I have 2... one pink and one black...

Anyhow, they just shot to number one on my list. SEVEN dollars... Wow, what a great sounding headphone that you can practically give away to friends and family. Really a great way to introduce people to better than average sound on a budget.

Adding them now to my list...

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #142 of 242
PHILIPS CITISCAPE UPTOWN VS. JVC HA-S500

Oops just got another one in. Definitely bump another one off my top 5.

The Philips Citiscape Uptown are an excellent bang for the buck headphone if they keep getting sold for the low price of $60 (see 1saleaday/ben's outlet)

I compared them to the JVC S500 and IMO they are a far better buy for that price than the $75 price you will pay for the JVC so they are replacing them off my top 5 list. (My friends on the S500 thread are going to disown me)

Reasons:

1 . Comfort -- they murder the S500 in this category. The Uptown's are something like a "portable over ear". They have very soft cushions and lots of cup room for your ears. The headband is also soft and durable. The cups of the Uptown rotate in all directions and give you a perfect fit without figiting with the headband position. They are comfy with the headband virtually in any position on top of your head.. The JVC is a more rigid fit and you have to rotate the headband to get that perfect seal/comfort factor.

2. Portable controls -- the Uptowns come with an Ipod compatible control in the cable. It also has a virtually useless volume knob which I might glue in the up position, but it would be useful for those on airplanes when that announcement comes over the inflight entertainment system to blow your eardrums out you can reach up and turn it down.

3. Price -- covered above they are less expensive and most people like to change the S500 pads (myself included) to get the best sound out of them which is more expense.

4. Sound -- The high ends is more detialed in the S500 and the Uptowns are a bit relaxed yet a lot more realistic sounding. The S500 sounds shouty in comparrison when A/Bing the two. The bass is similar in quantity and the impact is just a hair more with the Uptown. The Uptown's bass does have a much nicer texture to it although it does seem to bleed a bit on some songs into the mids. Overall they Uptown has a much more realistic sound with a much much better midrange presentation. Separation and soundstage is not the best with either one, but again I think the Uptown presents a more realistic fuller sound and slightly wider stage.

I could complain about the thin flat cable of the Uptowns like i have seen many do but until it seems to affect the sound or break on me, I can't complain. It is light and flexible and I get great sound at the moment. If this changes I will update.

-- Also adding the new Sony MH1C to the overall list.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #144 of 242
Quote:

I compared them to the JVC S500 and IMO they are a far better buy for that price than the $75 price you will pay for the JVC so they are replacing them off my top 5 list. (My friends on the S500 thread are going to disown me)

Naw, we love ya Doc no matter what lol!

Quote:
4. Sound -- The high ends is more detialed in the S500 and the Uptowns are a bit relaxed yet a lot more realistic sounding. The S500 sounds shouty in comparrison when A/Bing the two. The bass is similar in quantity and the impact is just a hair more with the Uptown. The Uptown's bass does have a much nicer texture to it although it does seem to bleed a bit on some songs into the mids. Overall they Uptown has a much more realistic sound with a much much better midrange presentation. Separation and soundstage is not the best with either one, but again I think the Uptown presents a more realistic fuller sound and slightly wider stage.
I could complain about the thin flat cable of the Uptowns like i have seen many do but until it seems to affect the sound or break on me, I can't complain. It is light and flexible and I get great sound at the moment. If this changes I will update.

Which pads were you using on the S500? I would be interested if you (or somebody) could compare the uptowns with the s500 + ath pleathers.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #145 of 242
Brainwavz B2 (if only the build quality were better)
futuresonics atrio m5 mg7 (quality bass monsters for $105,  fitment was problematic though and I'm not a fan of the cabling)
MDR-ZX700 (can be had for $60-80 dollars or $14-30 for the inline mic control version from staples closeouts)
HF3-HF5 can be had for $120 or so, a poor-ish man's ER4p

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #146 of 242
I WANT ONE. The Uptowns are definitely one of the best I've heard around that price range. Just gotta wait until they go on sale in my area again.

Are you not US based TwinQY? That ben's outlet deal is here.

Naw, we love ya Doc no matter what lol!

Which pads were you using on the S500? I would be interested if you (or somebody) could compare the uptowns with the s500 + ath pleathers.

Thanks for not disowning me bud. Ya I did that with the AT SJ5 pads on them since they seem to be the most popular. Haven't tried with my preferred HD25 pads.

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #147 of 242
Quote:
Thanks for not disowning me bud. Ya I did that with the AT SJ5 pads on them since they seem to be the most popular. Haven't tried with my preferred HD25 pads.

Well, if your tests were with the AH SJ5 pads, then sorry, but you are now officially disowned lol!

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #148 of 242
Quote:
Are you not US based TwinQY? That ben's outlet deal is here.

Nope, just another Canadian here. However, we had them on sale at Winners a while back. We also get $99 MTPC and XBA-3s sometimes as well 
tongue.gif

Okay, Doc, that avatar's really creeping me out right now. Feels like it's staring into my soul 
ph34r.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #149 of 242
The Mammoth JVC RX700s are really exceptional for their 30.00 price tag. The sound is very detailed and balanced IMO. I would pay 100.00 and still feel I got a great deal on them. Beats everything else I own including the Panasonic Htf 600s,Portapros and the KSC75s. The build quality is very sturdy beyond their asking price. They truly are a super value. The Koss Ksc75s are amazing in their own right and to ask for 15 dollars or less for that level of sound is crazy. The Portapros and the Htf600s sound too veiled for my liking and are not worth it. The monoprice 8320s are excellent with great clarity and with the tape mod, some really satisfying bass. Seven dollars for them are an absolute steal.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #150 of 242
Quote:

I was just ready to go for the JVC, and now comes this! In EU there is a low price from the German Amazon and it is the same as JVC from Japan. If we add the pads cost then s500 is more expensive. Now I'm confused again :D Do you think that for the same price ($75) the Philips are still better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back