OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Oct 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #106 of 242
Adding the monoprice 8320's to my list on the OP now that I have tested them personally.. Got in two pairs today. Frankly I am astonished at how good these sound for $5.22 (with 20% off coupon plus discount for buying more than one).

I find it funny reading some of the posts on the 8320 thread where some people are saying "they are good but...". These things very, very, solidly compete with many phones that cost 10 to 15 times more than they do at the price I got them at (if you want to count bose and beats in ear models you could say 20X the price). I think again because they are so cheap some people will STILL count them out even after listening to them although the 8320 fan club is HUGE and many many people praise these iems. They have smooth detailed highs. Mids are present and not your typical total V shape and the bass is present, pretty controlled and not bloated. Definitely bass capable but not bass heavy IMO compared to other value IEMs. Soundstange is shockingly wide for the price. Seperation of instruments also impressed me particularly on the Alice In Chains Rooster MTV Unplugged. Sure there are downsides but not many and for the price. The largest of which are poor fit without changing the tips for most people and real bad microphonics in the upper part of the cable past the Y split (for some reason it is fine below the Y splitter in the cable). Some people may not adore the looks with a kind of space age industrial kinda look but you aren't driving them to work, they are being stuffed in your ears for Heven's sake. . I think they look fine.

I would love to blind test these and post the results..... hmmm... ok im gunna do that. But they are going on my list. This is one of those items you could buy 10 or 15 of to give out at christmas and not go broke yet make people really happy at the same time. Especially freinds or fam who need to ditch their "buds" from their favorite mp3 player or ipod.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #107 of 242
Quote:
Adding the monoprice 8320's to my list on the OP now that I have tested them personally.. Got in two pairs today. Frankly I am astonished at how good these sound for $5.22 (with 20% off coupon plus discount for buying more than one).
I find it funny reading some of the posts on the 8320 thread where some people are saying "they are good but...". These things very, very, solidly compete with many phones that cost 10 to 15 times more than they do at the price I got them at (if you want to count bose and beats in ear models you could say 20X the price). I think again because they are so cheap some people will STILL count them out even after listening to them although the 8320 fan club is HUGE and many many people praise these iems. They have smooth detailed highs. Mids are present and not your typical total V shape and the bass is present, pretty controlled and not bloated. Definitely bass capable but not bass heavy IMO compared to other value IEMs. Soundstange is shockingly wide for the price. Seperation of instruments also impressed me particularly on the Alice In Chains Rooster MTV Unplugged. Sure there are downsides but not many and for the price. The largest of which are poor fit without changing the tips for most people and real bad microphonics in the upper part of the cable past the Y split (for some reason it is fine below the Y splitter in the cable). Some people may not adore the looks with a kind of space age industrial kinda look but you aren't driving them to work, they are being stuffed in your ears for Heven's sake. . I think they look fine.
I would love to blind test these and post the results..... hmmm... ok im gunna do that. But they are going on my list. This is one of those items you could buy 10 or 15 of to give out at christmas and not go broke yet make people really happy at the same time. Especially freinds or fam who need to ditch their "buds" from their favorite mp3 player or ipod.

thats because they dont get the propper fit and dont spend the time finding the right tip (can blame them either)
i tried dozens of tips, even complys.. the sound was good, ok but nothing to write about.. but with the M9 double flange, man.. fantastic for the price.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #109 of 242
what about the philips she3580 for $10?

You are the 2nd or 3rd person to mention them. So post some detail on why you think they are so good and what higher teir, more expensive, headphones you think they solidly compete with or out-perform and I will add your post to the OP.

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #110 of 242
Theres a gigantic thread on them so id suggest including them.

Quote:
You are the 2nd or 3rd person to mention them. So post some detail on why you think they are so good and what higher teir, more expensive, headphones you think they solidly compete with or out-perform and I will add your post to the OP.
Thanks.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #113 of 242
OP updated to make it shorter and less disjointed...

(man I didn't realize it had gotten so cluttered.... sorry)

Also to move monoprice to #3 on the list due to some of the worst cable microphonics I have ever heard (but still on the list nonetheless :))

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #116 of 242
29.99 Apple Earpods with foam covers.  Performs at a level of a much higher priced earbud. 

That's interesting. I've read they did a decent job with those though I haven't had a chance to try them yet. You really think they are that good huh? I am eager to try them a girl in the office is getting the new touch so I will get my hands on them soon. What higher tier buds would you put them up against?

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #117 of 242
Technically it's a hybrid.  It has a tip almost like the bose IEMs.  So, the earpod could probably be considered in either conversation. 
Quote:
Just wanted to point out that's not an IEM or a can...

With foam covers, I think the a far and away better than a 30 dollar earbud.  The reason I say with foamie covers is because for my shape ear, that give the perfect seal and the bass is everything they promised in the press event.  It's obviously not going to compare with 100+ IEMs.  But I'll say this...I have recently purchased the Bose SIE2 for running purposes.  They cost 119 dollars and I would personally prefer my earpods every day of the week for sound purposes only. 
Quote:
That's interesting. I've read they did a decent job with those though I haven't had a chance to try them yet. You really think they are that good huh? I am eager to try them a girl in the office is getting the new touch so I will get my hands on them soon. What higher tier buds would you put them up against?

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #118 of 242
 they got competition on the MX580.

The mids and highs on the MX580 are e better,  they loose on bass and soundstage, also they sound a littler thiner, but overall the mids and highs are more coherent, they always sound nice, the earbuds got these little hot treble and the mids sound a little metalic (note, LITTLE more metalic) than the MX580. 

But yea,those earbuds could be easly on this list not only for the sound, but because they got all of the apple functions on an apple product so it works perfect with my ipad and IP4s.

Thumbs up for Apple.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #119 of 242
There's also the thermaltake isurus. Some say they are at ckm99 rebrands, all agree that they sound much better than $30.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587765/thermaltake-isurus-review-and-comparison-to-the-gr07

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #120 of 242

Users who are viewing this thread

Back