Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 23, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #26,086 of 27,137
Oh so not the single sided magnets one...

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #26,087 of 27,137
My Fostex T10 grows in me like the first loved headphone of my life.... A tweak for those who already have a great audio room : Dont let any unused wall sockets and place a shungite thin piece on it if unused and beside that you must glue an autoadhesive copper tape thin band vertically, parrallel with the socket near the 2 apertures... If you have a computer router same thing with the copper band around it...If you have unused sockets on an electrical strip, same thing shungite+copper band... The results: better imaging and transparency... Enjoy orthodynamics music...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #26,088 of 27,137
Mentioning here the new meze empyrean planar headphones. Made with a driver from ukrayne, by rinaro.

Very expensive and very well received.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #26,089 of 27,137
I KNEW there was an obvious one I missed!!! It has an eastern connection there also. Thanks.

Edited list and added to the list.

Oooopps also forgot the Simgot ET1000 ( added ) and Rosson Audio Design RAD-0

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #26,090 of 27,137
Verum Two???
Since he was talking about it in Discord I had assumed Garuspik had disclosed information about the Verum 2 elsewhere. I guess that's my B.

Either way he's sent a few photos of the prototype parts and other interesting stuff but I think he'd prefer to make a public announcement himself. @Garuspik maybe? :3

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #26,091 of 27,137
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #26,092 of 27,137
Updated list and added in the new single driver planar IEM from Max ( a.k.a. Hardcorist = he was at Kennerton BTW ) and partner Andrey ( a.k.a. andyDiamond )
Much thanks to eric65 for initially posting it in the Kennerton thread.
Link to Player.ru thread provided a bottom of list post on previous page.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #26,093 of 27,137
I had forgotten how good Echo TDS-16 sound when modded. Very flat sounding. Goes deep but I don't feel and hear the lowest frequencies as good this measures. May be that its on-ear bass is bleeding and makes upper frequencier more prominent. Still nice punchiness on the upper bass and midrange treble is on the correct levels. Some ringing at 1.7kHz and 4-5kHz.

You can still get this very cheap at eBay. I would definetely get his over 100-200€ on-ear headphones.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #26,094 of 27,137
I had forgotten how good Echo TDS-16 sound when modded. Very flat sounding. Goes deep but I don't feel and hear the lowest frequencies as good this measures. May be that its on-ear bass is bleeding and makes upper frequencier more prominent. Still nice punchiness on the upper bass and midrange treble is on the correct levels. Some ringing at 1.7kHz and 4-5kHz.

You can still get this very cheap at eBay. I would definetely get his over 100-200€ on-ear headphones.

These ultra-squashed-scale graphs are extremely misleading.
Here's the exact same image adjusted to the same scale as most other reputable published graphs:

upload_2020-1-5_15-16-49.png

Bass roll-off starts at 100hz, just like the Sennheiser HD650.
It's not surprising that sub-bass has no impact.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #26,095 of 27,137
These ultra-squashed-scale graphs are extremely misleading.
Here's the exact same image adjusted to the same scale as most other reputable published graphs:

Bass roll-off starts at 100hz, just like the Sennheiser HD650.
It's not surprising that sub-bass has no impact.
Same goes to Takstar HF580 but still it have more impact than this. I think it just because its on-ear not perfectly seal around ur ears.

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #26,096 of 27,137
Today I got to open the Grundig GDHS-223 phones. They were due for a cleanup, so I can get them in general use. So I took some photos of the process, as well as the driver. Driver seems to be 5 cm aluminium coil. Anyone familiar with the Fostex drivers can identify it?

Inside was a foam disk turned to mush. I removed and replaced it with a sandwich of vacuum filter, speaker filling and a 3mm felt disk. Felt is towards the driver.

After the surgery can say that the cans opened up and sound more open and natural. Maybe the highs are a little harsher, I'll need to see if I get used to the sound or need to do anything about it.

Also replaced the pads from the original, on ear ones to over ear chinese 10 cm pleather + memory foam (3cm height). A lot more comfortable and a little bit more isolation. Also bass it better with these pads.

In any case, so far they are a nice listen.
4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #26,097 of 27,137
Driver in that should be the same as the Fostex T20 first version from the same era. Earpads look good on that one. I've a similar Concept branded one that has one gimbal that doesn't quite create enough pressure on one ear. Fatter pads might help there... they do sound fairly good and not too hard too drive. Maybe a bit V shaped in response. Pretty fun.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #26,098 of 27,137
This place (and the effort involved in stating things clearly) is actually therapeutic, so if plod we must, let us plod steadily forward. I should have a new YH-100 (commissioned by one who knows who he is) damping mod cooked up here shortly.

Here's an old method I used back in the day of the ATH-1: punch out many little dots of felt and stuff them into the holes in the magnets. Hasn't worked on recent 'phones, but I thought I'd give it a try on the YH-100, since each headphone responds a little differently, and you have to admit, it's cute. Didn't like the results, though, and I may have damaged the corrugations on the diaphragm at one point. Not to worry...

P1010345e.jpg

But then, we have the future of cloth, ie, microfiber (or, if you're UK, microfibre):

P1010346e.jpg

This is a fallout from my recent crazed interest in things microfiber, which is a contagion I caught from my friend in Atlanta, owner of a new Mazda3, who has become Mr. Microfiber. He recommended a trip to Wal-Mart to pick up a couple of products branded MicroTex. One's a famous terry blue towel, the other's a microfiber suede polishing cloth that's designed to look like chamois. Hold a disk of felt up to a lamp and you can see little dots of light poking through. Hold this stuff up to the light and you see no pinpoints of light, yet the cloth is thin. Even if it took several layers... you can see what I'm thinking. The cost at Wal-Mart is $4.36 for 3 cloths, so you can see we're talking real money here.

Oh, and don't tell my friend I'm not using the microfiber on my car.

UPDATE: Looks good, doesn't it? Nice and yellow. Well, I'll save you the trouble of reading about the results a few posts down-- the microsuede just doesn't work as a primary damping layer on the YH-100. It's too effective as an acoustic resistance; it moves the resonant frequency way up into the upper midrange, so it screeches, and there's no bass. Turns out felt is sufficient and optimum as a primary layer, and both bass and treble can be tweaked if the response isn't flat enough or extended enough at the frequency extremes when you reach the point of critical damping. However, microsuede might be the perfect secondary layer for some drivers. Also read ericj's post #132 on the next page in re his YH-2.

Try playing with the new 3D air fabric ofren used in sport shoes. I got very interesting and very different effect with this speciel 3D air fabric. In front or behind baffel, as a damper in open can or as
IMG_20191229_154152.jpg
IMG_20191229_154617.jpg
filter.

#Aliexpress DKK 68.13 9%OFF | 150cm wide Three layer sandwich mesh cloth sandwich mesh fabric 3D elastic mesh cloth air bed fabric sofa shoes raw material
https://a.aliexpress.com/_srBLKy

Attachments

• IMG_20191229_154642.jpg
    IMG_20191229_154642.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #26,100 of 27,137
Not sure if these have been posted here so far. I recently got the monitor version of the ATH-2 phones in near mint condition. That is ATH-2M. Very little information on the net about them. They don't sound so good in stock form, pads are hardened and the right phone cable needs to be resoldered or changed, it has interruptions when it moves.

Some photos for your enjoyment.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Now to find some time to open them up and apply the mods.

Question for those of you more knowledgeable: where can I find some pads that are good replacements? I tried some 8 cm chinese pads but they don't go so well around the exterior of these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back