Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 26, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #26,101 of 27,137
Not sure if these have been posted here so far. I recently got the monitor version of the ATH-2 phones in near mint condition. That is ATH-2M. Very little information on the net about them. They don't sound so good in stock form, pads are hardened and the right phone cable needs to be resoldered or changed, it has interruptions when it moves.

Some photos for your enjoyment.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Now to find some time to open them up and apply the mods.

Question for those of you more knowledgeable: where can I find some pads that are good replacements? I tried some 8 cm chinese pads but they don't go so well around the exterior of these phones.
In my experience, SFI drivers sound their best with the kind of pads that are already being used.
So I would try to find a replacement that closely matches the originals as much as possible, and use double-sided tape or the stronger double-sided tape you can find for use with fabrics (usually you can find this tape in your local haberdashery).
You might have some luck searching for Pioneer or AKG 'DJ' model replacement ear pads. Some of them should be about the right size.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #26,102 of 27,137
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-HP-1...ultDomain_0&hash=item256df9d536#ht_886wt_1396
'Nough said.

Yea, I've enjoyed the 820's. They are very detailed. Removing the diaphragm clamp buttons makes them even more detailed, but kills bass. I'd say out of all the ortho's I've come into contact with this one is closest to its (so far) peak performance right out of the box. All you need to do is find some nice pleather pads for them and they perform. I prefer Yamaha's by a fair margin, though, and I'd agree that these should be considered "collector" class, and not everyday usable. Your money will be better spent elsewhere with this in mind. It's funny you mention the "tuning chamber" because past few days -ever since I took those pictures- I've been wondering if this has anything to do with the somewhat spacious sound I've been picking up on despite them being supra-aural. I've yet to experiment with full sized pads to any real extent, but the fact that they sound as punchy as they do makes me wonder how they'd react to some fitted circumaurals.

Planar magnetic t-shirt?! Like this?

I kind of like the hourglass shape these create in the negative space. I like the idea behind these, but am ready for them to fall flat on their face.

Edit - Wow, those pads look fantastic. The pleather material I recently acquired is blushing. Those look really comfy.
This might seem like necroposting but I'm dying to clarify something from the quoted post.
You said that "Removing the diaphragm clamp buttons makes them even more detailed, but kills bass". Were you referring to those metal clamps connected with wires inside both ear-cups? If so, I don't quite understand how removing clamps and connecting wires directly to the diaphragm can kill low frequencies.

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #26,104 of 27,137
Not familiar with the driver. Allot of the original posters show up very rarely and there was a period of rapid discovery of models and modifications so allot of ideas are probably lost and knowledge or opinions about some of the less available pieces along with them. Can always try to DM the question, but this thread is pretty much an archive now vs being live.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #26,105 of 27,137
I would strongly suggest that this is not attempted. The HP1 driver is center pinned and if you remove the "button" which is the rivet that holds them together, the drivers will eventually fail (if not immediately).

Many other ways to modify without going to these extremes.

.. dB

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #26,109 of 27,137
Apr 19, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #26,111 of 27,137
Hi, any recommendations for someone to do a cable replacement on a pair of Yamaha YH-100s? I solder like a dufus, I won't go near it.

Any info much appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I should add that the cans are 100% functional but the cables close to the cups have become pretty hard and inflexible, hence the desire for a recable. If any mods can be done simultaneously as dBel84 indicated, that'd be great too.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #26,113 of 27,137
Hi, any recommendations for someone to do a cable replacement on a pair of Yamaha YH-100s? I solder like a dufus, I won't go near it.

Any info much appreciated, thanks.
Your best bet is to find a DIYer/modder you can ship it to, as locally as possible for a fast turnaround.
Since your location is missing from your profile, nobody would step up and offer services since they have no idea what part of the universe you're in.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #26,114 of 27,137
Your best bet is to find a DIYer/modder you can ship it to, as locally as possible for a fast turnaround.
Since your location is missing from your profile, nobody would step up and offer services since they have no idea what part of the universe you're in.

Wow, you're right. I'll rectify the location immediately, thanks!

Location set...if that helps with a recommendation that'd be great, thanks again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back