Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 27, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #26,056 of 27,137
I am in love with the Fostex T10,and these vintage orthos can be a bargain like mine, paid 75 bucks,mint with his 77 original box... I look for a Sansui SS-100, and WOW the price on Ebay is absolutely non sensical, except for a collector... And i will never dare to pay for a new hyped headphone afraid that it will be less interesting than my old love for a forbidden price....Perhaps a miracle will happen a second time, after all a T10 mint, low priced, with his box is more than rare...:ksc75smile:

(Dear God, send me a Sansui SS-100 at a low cost, I will never bargain with you, except for this can, and I promise about " what you know of " and I will never do it again...Thanks...)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #26,057 of 27,137
I just receive the Fo.Q tune Ta 32 tape from Japan...I apply it around the exterior border of the 2 cups.... Immediately after, a gained subtle clarity in the micro details begins to emerge... A refinement subtle but very audibly there affecting micro-details and imaging... Dont begins with this tape the modification of the T10... Apply it after you have already modify the T10 with sorbothane or other materials, then you will hear clearly the amazing refine tuning that this tape added...I know already about this tape I used it before and it is subtle but unmiskatably there... The sorbothane duro 70 I wait for will be more drastic audible effect, positive or negative, dependant of the duro and quantity applied and it must be slightly compressed to act better...But this Fo.Q tape made a change no amount of sorbothane is able to... They dont affect frequencies in the same manner and dont cleans at the same level, they complete each other... I love my T10...:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #26,058 of 27,137
Grabbed some of that tape also, need to wait for it to arrive.
Thanks for mentioning it.

developed by Dr. M. Sumida of the Tokyo Institute of Technology under the support of the "Japan Science and Technology Agency". Originally this new material was used mostly for industrial purposes, to limit the vibrational effects in aircrafts, buildings and houses. These damping products were also found in the roofs of vehicles and even on trains.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #26,059 of 27,137
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #26,060 of 27,137
I put Fo.Q Ha-32 tape everywhere on the cups and on the jack end of the T10... I retaped, on top of the Fo.Q tape, 1 shungite, chrysocolla beads, lava beads, 1 Herkimer,1 piece of tourmaline, and i think I am near the end of the road... Sound is very good, imaging 3-d, soundstage slightly out of the head... The secret ingredient does not sell and must be made homemade, a powder of crystals Chrysocolla+lava+shungite glued on a nano magic strip around the headphone cables at the bottom of the cups... I am not so sure about the necessity of using sorbothane but I will try it on top of the Fo.Q tape on the cups...This headphone is my best to date, not a micro analyser of details but very musical, natural timbre, imaging 3-d,more organic than my other cans and the only speaker-like headphone I ever own, because each instrument with his own colored presence is in his own space and what is perceived is not a great amount of details but rather only flowing pure music... Viva Ortho made right +tweaks... I am afraid to buy any other headphone south of 1000 dollars now...I will live with this T10 for a long time indeed...:L3000: My best to all and thanks to your dedication to the orthos...

nano magic tape :
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32988525117.html

30 sept. Addenda :

I add a band of magic nano tape 2 side adhesive with 2 layers of 4mm chrysocolla beads on one event on the cups (only one event is now open without affecting the sound negatively) and the results is more openness of the sound and greater clarity and more coherent imaging...The powerful magnet of the orthodynamic headphone intercepting the filtering pattern of the Chrysocolla imposed on it by resonance change and improve on the original imprint structure of the electro magnetic field of the headphone...

Viva Chrysocolla...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #26,061 of 27,137
I have not open up the inside of my FostexT10.... But I am curious, Anyone has removed the damping stuff that is inside? (I dont want to read these thousand pages to discover the answer)

The imaging of my T10 is astounding now after my tweaks but I suspect there are some internal damping materials that makes the T10 more darker than necessary…. I dont want to apply other materials to damp them on the external cups... It seems it will be necessary to opens them.... I am a bit afraid because I love them and dont want to break the thing dear to my heart... If I understand the 3 screws are under the glued earpads?

Someone has removed the damping materials inside? I suspect that this damping materials are no more adequate...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #26,062 of 27,137
I'm gonna be attempting to repair an HE-6 driver which suffered diaphragm damage tonight around 9PM EST.

I'll have a discord call and possibly a stream on my twitch channel going for those who want to tune in and watch. Just HMU for details in PMs.

How did that work out?

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #26,063 of 27,137
It seems that the too darker tone of my T10 was caused mainly by the original old very microphonic cable of the headphone...Multiple electro-magnetic field were intercepting and perturbating it,the noise level was very high indeed... I had treated the jack already like described in my last posts with 5 different crystals and stones with success... But this noisy cable was cleaned by adding 6 inches of Chrysocolla beads(4mm),one beads after one glued by magic nano tape, all along the first 6 inches beginning with the jack end of the cable... Results: a bigger soundstage and a less noisy cable with a greater clarity... Incredible power of the Chrysocolla...My love story goes on...:smile_phones:

The old cable was the culprit of some noise...I will add 6 other inches of Chrysocolla beads to it... Really miraculous cure for the cable...To date this mods is the most spectacular one, the vintage cable is made anew...Astounding is the word...

The soundstage is way improved and this dark background mask less the details of the sound, but I think that I will be in the obligation to open them and remove some old damping stuff indeed, who has performed that already? if someone can help I will be delighted...

Nevermind! :ksc75smile: I add some Chrysocolla along the cable and I can live with that...Speaker-like soundstage with natural instrumental colored timbre, at what price an headphone sound like that? Compared to that The Stax Nova sound like a toy, the lambda also, the Hifiman 400 like totally artificial, the Akg 701 also artificial and incoherent....The AKG 340 has no great soundstage and is incoherent also...Only the stax SR-5 gold can compete but is inferior for imaging and soundstage...My other Fostex modifiedTH-7 with soundstage and imaging on par but with a sound artificial also compared to it...I am done I think... Viva T10...

Question: is the Fostex T50 superior to the T10 ? Not many people has compared the 2, I think....And without mods it is difficult to know for sure the potential of these headphones...

Addendum: it seems the vintage original old very microphonic cable is the achille's heel of this T10, I add some beads of tourmaline to the lava beads and chrysocolla beads all along a great portion of the cable, and problem solved...More accurate rendering of the higher frequencies and less darker tone because all these beads decrease the noise level... I feel always more in love than ever with it...I know that there is nothing better less than 1000 bucks or please write it to me thanks...

By the number of reactions here I think that the number of people who owns this T10, or the number of people who want this T10, are very low... Probably with his sibling dynamic TH 7, they are the most unknown underrated headphones there is...The price will grow if I go on speaking like that...Anyway these rants are only the delirium of an old fool...Ebayers ! There is really nothing to see...:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #26,064 of 27,137
How did that work out?
Fixed the driver, almost completely. Patched the diaphragm hole with 5 micron tape and restored the broken trace.

Had to disassemble it a second time to fix a short caused by the protective mesh touching the diaphragm.

Magnets snapped together through the diaphragm and the protective mesh upon reassembly. ☠️

On that note, I have a single HE-6 driver for sale if anyone wants it!

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #26,065 of 27,137
Fixed the driver, almost completely. Patched the diaphragm hole with 5 micron tape and restored the broken trace.

Had to disassemble it a second time to fix a short caused by the protective mesh touching the diaphragm.

Magnets snapped together through the diaphragm and the protective mesh upon reassembly. ☠️

On that note, I have a single HE-6 driver for sale if anyone wants it!

Mmmmmm.... I have a HE5LE that has a small hole near the edge of the diaghram. It's not audible and even after bass torture tests - it hasn't changed. So given your story, and that of other folks (3), I'm just going to leave it.

Good luck.

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #26,066 of 27,137
wrong thread

Attachments

• hfe_kenwood_kh-31_51_71_flyer_en.pdf
    820 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #26,067 of 27,137
Any idea how to take the headband assembly off an NAD RP18 without wrecking it?

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #26,068 of 27,137
Any idea how to take the headband assembly off an NAD RP18 without wrecking it?
I think the only way to get those metal 'washers' off the inside pin is to semi-destroy them (the washers).
I've never done it fully, because it takes way too much force and ends up scratching the plastic.
You can wedge a thin flat-head screwdriver under it to get things started, but it mostly just bends out of shape and doesn't seem to move along the pin much if at all.

You looking to use a bigger headband? or just restoring a broken one with other parts?

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #26,069 of 27,137
I think the only way to get those metal 'washers' off the inside pin is to semi-destroy them (the washers).
I've never done it fully, because it takes way too much force and ends up scratching the plastic.
You can wedge a thin flat-head screwdriver under it to get things started, but it mostly just bends out of shape and doesn't seem to move along the pin much if at all.

You looking to use a bigger headband? or just restoring a broken one with other parts?
I found cheap headbands on taobao that I want to use it with but it's proving to be really difficult!

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #26,070 of 27,137
I found cheap headbands on taobao that I want to use it with but it's proving to be really difficult!
I put my rp18 drivers in a Beyerdynamic shell. They just snap in perfectly. Also works in the beyer-superlux clones.
Would recommend since it's so easy and completely removes the old resonance ridden cups out of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back