Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #10,082 of 16,931
Man this is really outstanding work you've done!

However ECCI has intruduced the pr100mkii, pr200mkii last year and pr3002 this year, which are the newer version of pr100/200/300.

Waiting for your review :3

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #10,083 of 16,931
Big thanks for the JVC FXT90 suggestion Joker - picked them up for $89 on Amazon and they arrived yesterday.  Signature and fit are just what I was looking for!  I can stop looking...until the inevitable upgrade, anyway...

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #10,084 of 16,931
Quote:

I do my own impressions now. All it takes is two tubs of impression goo, some dams, and a syringe. Cost per impression is probably $2 or so. I screw up sometimes but it takes maybe 5-10 mins to do one so they're easy to re-do.

Better pic:

Hmm... that sounds very odd to me. Not sure how it would work and even if it did what the benefit would be in crossing over a signal before feeding it to the (single) driver.

Sounds like it might be a case of "lost in translation" like Fischer Audio advertising their SBA-03 as "dual armature" at first before elaborating that it's actually 1 per side / 2 total.

Joker,

I see you are in Santa Monica - would you do mine for a 6 pack of imported beer and a Monoprice 9927? (I'm only half-kidding)

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #10,085 of 16,931
Quote:
you should start a new photography style, "CIEM art"

That's about the extent of my creativity
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
You still need a green and a yellow one to complete the rainbow.

Not my favorite colors but I don't really want duplicates so it might happen eventually. 

Quote:
Man this is really outstanding work you've done!

However ECCI has intruduced the pr100mkii, pr200mkii last year and pr3002 this year, which are the newer version of pr100/200/300.

Waiting for your review :3

I was aware that ECCI introduced new version of the PR100 and PR200. I've never heard of the PR3002. No plans to review them at this time. There's so much new stuff coming out every month that it's impossible to keep up.

Quote:
Big thanks for the JVC FXT90 suggestion Joker - picked them up for $89 on Amazon and they arrived yesterday.  Signature and fit are just what I was looking for!  I can stop looking...until the inevitable upgrade, anyway...

Glad to hear that! I enjoyed them quite a bit and think I would be pleased with them as a daily commuter phone. 

Quote:
Joker,

I see you are in Santa Monica - would you do mine for a 6 pack of imported beer and a Monoprice 9927? (I'm only half-kidding)

I am not a licensed audiologist, so while I am happy to do my own impressions, I don't think it would be safe for me to do someone else's. A few of the hearing professionals I've talked to had horror stories to share about impressions gone wrong. I have a pretty good feel for what I'm doing when it's in my own ear but that's the extent of my confidence. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #10,087 of 16,931
Joker,

there are lots of ear buds that comes with the Vsonic GR07.. I've found the hybrid to be the most comfortable.. but there's a problem in the form of my ears.. my left ear has more inner bone than my right ear which lets me fit the GR07 right earphone easily while I haven't found any comfortable position for my swiveling GR07 for my left ear.. I think because of the greater inner bone, the opening in my left ear is a little smaller than the right.. I'm asking if there is any more ear bud pair that I can use to fit both my ears perfectly? I find the bass on my left ear lacking because of the wrong insertion.. and the noise isolation is also reduced because of that.. I don't have a problem with the body of the earphones just the ear tips.. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.. 

would you think that comply foam tips would solve my problem here? or is there any other you'd recommend? I wouldn't like to go for customized ear tips because of its swiveling function.. I do think I wouldn't need it that much.. But still I enjoy mo GR07 and think it'd last for a long time..

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #10,089 of 16,931
Apr 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #10,091 of 16,931
Quote:

I am not a licensed audiologist, so while I am happy to do my own impressions, I don't think it would be safe for me to do someone else's. A few of the hearing professionals I've talked to had horror stories to share about impressions gone wrong. I have a pretty good feel for what I'm doing when it's in my own ear but that's the extent of my confidence. 

No worries, I was half joking - I did find out one nice thing - I spoke to an Heir Audio representative and they offer free impressions if you can find your way to San Diego - in fact, they like to do it because many audiologists are used to hearing aid molds and there is a difference. Of course, you have to be buying an Heir Audio product.

Thanks anyway!

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #10,093 of 16,931
Ljoker how would you compare RE-400 and DBA02 / Brainwavz B2?
RE-400 should have better low-end.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #10,094 of 16,931
Got a particular problem, joker, and I bet you are the best person to know: need a recommendation for extreme durability.

My 13 year old son loves his earphones with his Sansa Clip, but he's hard on them. Uses them every day on the bus to and from school. Broke a set of Soundmagic E10s and some hand me down JVC FXT90s (previously mine, but light usage), both within 6 months. My guess is that the Soundmagics had strain relief problems, and somehow he broke apart the casing around the drivers on the FXT90s. Now he has a pair of Vsang R03s, but I'm wondering how long they will last. (sigh)

I know. I'm working on teaching him to treat them well, but he is a middle-school aged boy. We all remember what that age was like :D

What would you recommend with the highest build quality for durability from your reviews? I know you have ratings that talk about some of that, but I thought maybe there might be a few standouts in particular. Some bass emphasis is fine, but not super heavy bass (he likes the ones I've listed above). Could be neutral frequency response phones, too. Say the $30 to $80 range, although I probably would stay under $50 (but sometimes earphones end up sale). He really does like better sound. But if this keeps up, he'll have to live with your Tier 3C earphones.

Thanks for any recommendations. You could save me a lot of money over the next few years. LOL

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #10,095 of 16,931
Quote:
joker, which UE double-flanges are compatible with HA-FX40? I saw you mentioned them in the preferred tips field but I don't know which one exactly.

Edit: I think I found them on amazon, are they UE 600vi?

I am using a set from an old SuperFi3. I don't think they make this kind of tip anymore. Closest modern equivalent is probably the standard (Meelec, etc) 5mm bi-flange. 

Quote:
Joker,

there are lots of ear buds that comes with the Vsonic GR07.. I've found the hybrid to be the most comfortable.. but there's a problem in the form of my ears.. my left ear has more inner bone than my right ear which lets me fit the GR07 right earphone easily while I haven't found any comfortable position for my swiveling GR07 for my left ear.. I think because of the greater inner bone, the opening in my left ear is a little smaller than the right.. I'm asking if there is any more ear bud pair that I can use to fit both my ears perfectly? I find the bass on my left ear lacking because of the wrong insertion.. and the noise isolation is also reduced because of that.. I don't have a problem with the body of the earphones just the ear tips.. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.. 

would you think that comply foam tips would solve my problem here? or is there any other you'd recommend? I wouldn't like to go for customized ear tips because of its swiveling function.. I do think I wouldn't need it that much.. But still I enjoy mo GR07 and think it'd last for a long time..

I am not sure what size Complys the GR07s use (200?) but they should work for you. You may have to use a different-sized tip in each ear, though.

You could also simply try a longer tip, such as the MEElec/Monster triple-flange. Might allow you to position the housing farther outside your ear and angle the canal portion better.

Quote:

Is that a perfect log spiral?
tongue.gif

Nope 
redface.gif
(square superimposed):

Quote:
No worries, I was half joking - I did find out one nice thing - I spoke to an Heir Audio representative and they offer free impressions if you can find your way to San Diego - in fact, they like to do it because many audiologists are used to hearing aid molds and there is a difference. Of course, you have to be buying an Heir Audio product.

Thanks anyway!

Probably not worth the gas from LA, though. 

Etymotic does something similar with their audiologist network when you're getting their custom tips. Impressions are included in the price. I think Westone has an audiologist partner program as well.

Quote:
If balanced armature technology is being used in IEM,
could we be seeing it in other speaker formats such as on-ear or
bookshelf loudspeakers???

As far as I know it's not practical to build a large balanced armature because you lose any efficiency advantage when the armature itself becomes large and heavy. I believe there were some speakers that used armature-like designs a long time ago, which didn't sound too good.

Quote:
Ljoker how would you compare RE-400 and DBA02 / Brainwavz B2?
RE-400 should have better low-end.

Yeah, I would say the RE-400 is warmer, smoother, and has a bit more bass body while the B2 is clearer, cooler in tone, and has slightly better separation. It would also be harsher/less forgiving and a bit thinner-sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back