Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #10,051 of 16,931
Quote:
Bass quantity I found the EPH-100 slightly low but good quality, the MG7 are awesome although I could live with slightly less bass, but I do really like the quantity and quality of the bass on these... the Shure SE215 have good quantity but the quality is a bit bad....  
I found the EPH-100 bordering on being too bright for me.... The MG7 are not too bad but a bit edgy in the treble with bad recordings...

The eph-100 have more bass than what what is considered neutral. You probably didn't achieve a good seal. Also , there are no way bright.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #10,052 of 16,931
Yeh I did have a good seal... Look at what I am comparing them to... Not neutral... My other headphones, which are not neutral either. It was not so much the brightness that was the problem with the treble it was the extremely short decay times and thin sound of it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #10,053 of 16,931
Quote:
Please can someone answer a few questions about the GR07 BE....

Currently I have Atrio MG7 and Shure SE215.... I had some Yamaha EPH-100 before...

Bass quantity I found the EPH-100 slightly low but good quality, the MG7 are awesome although I could live with slightly less bass, but I do really like the quantity and quality of the bass on these... the Shure SE215 have good quantity but the quality is a bit bad....

I found the EPH-100 bordering on being too bright for me.... The MG7 are not too bad but a bit edgy in the treble with bad recordings...

1) Will I find the bass level on a GR07 BE dissapointing? Are they bass light compared to MG7, EPH-100 and SE215? I would certainly not want less bass than the EPH-100 but I could live with slightly less than the MG7.

2) Will I find the GR07 BE too bright and sibilant / peaky in the treble, I find the EPH-100 and MG7 about right in brightness, wouldnt really want anything more sibilant / sharp than these two?

3) I would like similar to the MG7 but with better midrange and soundstage, Will the GR07 BE be good for this?

1) yes
2) yes
3) no

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #10,054 of 16,931
lol thanks for the concise answer, so it would really be either one of the monster turbine headphones or the sennheiser IE80 for a dynamic driver with good sound quality and bass that is not too bright? Dont really want the turbines as they look quite "bling" and also not really a fan of monster as a company + build quality etc... IE80 look good but out of my price range at the moment.... Not sure what other options there are in my price range than the GR07 BE? Maybe I should just keep the Atrios until I can afford the IE80....

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #10,055 of 16,931
Quote:
lol thanks for the concise answer, so it would really be either one of the monster turbine headphones or the sennheiser IE80 for a dynamic driver with good sound quality and bass that is not too bright? Dont really want the turbines as they look quite "bling" and also not really a fan of monster as a company + build quality etc... IE80 look good but out of my price range at the moment.... Not sure what other options there are in my price range than the GR07 BE? Maybe I should just keep the Atrios until I can afford the IE80....

Yeah, I would try to find a Miles Davis Tribute. Not sure if they still manufacture it. I haven't heard the IE80 but based on the old IE8 that would also be an option.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #10,056 of 16,931
Are the differences with the GR07 BE small or are they literally a lot less bassy and a lot brighter? Sorry for all the questions but I would have to buy them from hong kong and would be difficult to return them...

For reference I have had the MG7 for a few days and I am finding that even they give me a bit of tinnitus and sound a bit bright if I listen to them for too long... I quite like bright sounding treble but I cannot listen to it without getting tinnitus and ear pain.... Especially sibilance and around 4-10khz range.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #10,058 of 16,931
Quote:
I think I will just avoid the GR07 then because I even find the MG7 a bit too bright so I dont think the GR07 will be a good idea!

Good plan IMO. The GR07 would definitely be a risky try. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #10,059 of 16,931
Anyone remember the pic that started my original IEM review thread?

Had the chance to take a few photos this week and tried to re-capture the magic:

I can summarize 3.5 years thusly: much better earphones, much better camera, no improvement in photography skills 
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #10,063 of 16,931
Quote:
Do you actually buy all the IEM you review and keep them? Or do you borrow them from people?

He buys some, and he borrows some
Customs are either bought by himself or a gift from Headfi for his excellent reviews

For those he borrowed he will usually credit the person involved

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #10,064 of 16,931
Quote:
Do you actually buy all the IEM you review and keep them? Or do you borrow them from people?

I buy some, I borrow some, I get some as samples. These days a good chunk are loans from InnerFidelity. Of course almost all of the Head-Fi FOTM ones are still loaners from other Head-Fiers. 

Edit: what kaixax555 said. And yes, two of my most prized sets were actually gifts from the community here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back