Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #9,946 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi all

So from what I read the HiFiMan RE 400 is rated pretty highly around here.

You guys reckon, if for the same price I can get TDK IE 800. Which one would you choose?

I listen to all range of musics but mainly EDM and pop jazz and a bit of rock and hip hop. I want mainly the clarity really in my IEM.

Cheers

Haven't heard RE400, but the IE800 sounds amazing. If you're in HK, then the TDK's are probably cheaper and are (IMO) the ones you should buy. However, as an all rounder (build, comfort etc) the RE400 would be a much better choice.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #9,947 of 16,931
Joker, thanks so much for maintaining this thread and keeping up with all these reviews.  This is an amazing source of information!  

I am in the market for a new IEM and was hoping you could offer some input.  I have the newer Atrios (MG7), but I find them to be too dark, and at times too bassy.  I think I would like a brighter IEM, that still has very good, strong bass.  Basically, I'm looking for an IEM with a mild v-shaped sounds signature (something "fun") and decent separation.  The FX700 has been recommended, but it is (1) out of my budget ($150-ish) and (2) I need isolation.

Do you have any recommendations?  The TF10 sounds close to what I want, but prices have gone up and it's well in the $200s now.  Are there any slightly less expensive (and maybe dynamic instead of BA) IEMs similar in sound to the TF10?  Would the FXT90 work?  Any thoughts or recommendations would be great!

Thanks again for your contributions to head-fi! 

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #9,948 of 16,931
Full Philip Fidelio S1/S2 review (with measurements) is now up at Innerfidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-fidelio-s1-and-s2-ear-headphones 

Quote:
Thanks for the S1/S2 pic joker!

Sure thing!

Quote:
I like bass but I'm not a basshead. I like balance all around sound but with more bass or sub-bass 
if I extend my budget to $200 what are you recommend?
currently aiming GR07 mk2 but after read GR07 Bass Edition I become confused @@
and I found TDK BA200 is in GR07 price range
any advice?

I am not familiar with the BA200. The bass difference between the GR07BE and regular GR07 (mkI) is not that big - I think it's safe to get the BE as your first GR07. Its bass definitely won't be overbearing, it just has slightly more bass than mids compared to my regular GR07.

Quote:

Yeah... that'll be a tough sell for the sound. The design is great, though. 

Quote:
So this made me think that "vsonic it is then", but then i read about this rockit sound r-50 and vsonics gr01, what can you say about vsonic gr07 BE and mk2, gr01 and r-50. these are my last choices for my replacement iems, reading alot of reviews didnt help as i will for example like gr07 but after reading a post then switch to gr01 after reading another, i really want the balanced sound maybe a tad leaning in the bass side for the sound signature. thanks for the opinions again. :)

The GR01 and R-50 use similar transducers and sound more similar to each other than to most other earphones. The GR07 BE is close to the regular GR07, just has a little more bass relative to the midrange. I would consider the regular GR07 the safest option as it fits between the GR07BE and the GR01 (closer to the GR07BE). 

Quote:
hello again.
im satisfied with Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII while using with favourite powerful/clear leading vocal. It sounds clear and gives me "feeling of scene" (it still far behind/flat compared to akg k702) + im getting nice isolation ... and that nice monitor sound with all creepy mastering fails =/.

i'v wanted to interest as if is there are IEMs that suitable for a bit different music? i'v found out that it gives me headache (im not sure how to describe that sound but at the powerful/fastest parts of the song im getting sort of "peak sound" changing to "a bit metallic/plastic/flat" (i rly dunno how else to describe that) and its not suitable) whan i try to hear Skillet, Lacuna Coil or Cascada with it. Sometimes Gamma Ray too ...
i am ready to buy another pair for testing. wich one i should try now? its again around 200$ per pair.

I would try something warm and smooth, probably built around a dynamic driver. Too bad the RE262 has been discontinued. The EPH-100 from yamaha might work but it has significantly more bass than the DBA-02. The new Philips Fidelio S2 is worth looking at as well - not as much bass or warmth as with the EPH-100 but still definitely a dynamic-driver earphone.

Quote:
Hi all

So from what I read the HiFiMan RE 400 is rated pretty highly around here.

You guys reckon, if for the same price I can get TDK IE 800. Which one would you choose?

I listen to all range of musics but mainly EDM and pop jazz and a bit of rock and hip hop. I want mainly the clarity really in my IEM.

Cheers

Unfortunately I haven't heard the IE800. The RE-400 is a rather neutral-sounding earphone whereas most seem to prefer some enhanced bass for genres such as EDM and hip-hop. If you're after clarity it's a great option at $99.

Quote:
Joker, thanks so much for maintaining this thread and keeping up with all these reviews.  This is an amazing source of information!  

I am in the market for a new IEM and was hoping you could offer some input.  I have the newer Atrios (MG7), but I find them to be too dark, and at times too bassy.  I think I would like a brighter IEM, that still has very good, strong bass.  Basically, I'm looking for an IEM with a mild v-shaped sounds signature (something "fun") and decent separation.  The FX700 has been recommended, but it is (1) out of my budget ($150-ish) and (2) I need isolation.

Do you have any recommendations?  The TF10 sounds close to what I want, but prices have gone up and it's well in the $200s now.  Are there any slightly less expensive (and maybe dynamic instead of BA) IEMs similar in sound to the TF10?  Would the FXT90 work?  Any thoughts or recommendations would be great!

Thanks again for your contributions to head-fi! 

Yes, the FXT90 should be one of your best options - solid bass and sparkly treble. It rolls off the bass quicker than the Atrios but so do most other earphones. Isolation is not exactly stellar but better than with the FX700 for sure.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #9,949 of 16,931
Quote:

The GR01 and R-50 use similar transducers and sound more similar to each other than to most other earphones. The GR07 BE is close to the regular GR07, just has a little more bass relative to the midrange. I would consider the regular GR07 the safest option as it fits between the GR07BE and the GR01 (closer to the GR07BE). 

thanks again joker, this really helped me :D

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #9,951 of 16,931
Read almost all these reviews a dozen times over.. Hoping earnestly for a substantial FitEar F111 review...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #9,952 of 16,931
Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't heard the IE800. The RE-400 is a rather neutral-sounding earphone whereas most seem to prefer some enhanced bass for genres such as EDM and hip-hop. If you're after clarity it's a great option at $99.

Cheers bud. Yeah I like EDM but I don't really need a very bass-y IEM. I prefer the clarity really.

And regarding the build quality and comfort. Is it any good? The cables of my Klipsch S4 and Shure SE21 got torn off like in less than a year. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #9,953 of 16,931
Quote:
Yes, the SE215 is in a different league of bass-heavy compared to the GR07. The bass of the GR07 is just north of neutral. You may want to look at the new Philips Fidelio S1/S2 as well. Not much out there on them at the moment (they are new) but they sound very good. I think the S2 is about on-par with the GR07 and will run just $150. I'm not yet sure which sound signature I favor. One key difference outside of the sound is the fit - the Philips has to be worn cable-down while the GR07 has to be worn cord-up.  

I think I'm leaning more towards the Fidelios because they look more appealing than the GR0... and you said the s2 is "about on-par with the G07." Thank you  for the feedback... I will give impressions once I get them and burn them in.

Edit: Is there a significant difference between the S1 and S2 sound wise? Which would be better suited for the sound signature I'm looking for? If the difference is not night and day, then I think I'll go for the S1 and save 50 bucks. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #9,954 of 16,931
Quote:
Read almost all these reviews a dozen times over.. Hoping earnestly for a substantial FitEar F111 review...
rolleyes.gif

Sadly I don't have a FitEar contact but it does look like an interesting earphone.

Quote:

Cheers bud. Yeah I like EDM but I don't really need a very bass-y IEM. I prefer the clarity really.

And regarding the build quality and comfort. Is it any good? The cables of my Klipsch S4 and Shure SE21 got torn off like in less than a year. 

I think the RE-400 is very comfortable. As for the longevity, it's only been out for a few months so I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

Quote:

I think I'm leaning more towards the Fidelios because they look more appealing than the GR0... and you said the s2 is "about on-par with the G07." Thank you  for the feedback... I will give impressions once I get them and burn them in.

Edit: Is there a significant difference between the S1 and S2 sound wise? Which would be better suited for the sound signature I'm looking for? If the difference is not night and day, then I think I'll go for the S1 and save 50 bucks. 

The difference is not night and day. My full review can currently be found here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-fidelio-s1-and-s2-ear-headphones

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #9,955 of 16,931
Joker - can you give me a direct upgrade to the X10?  I love the sound a lot but sometimes I feel like the speed is lacking (I became spoiled with the R-50).

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #9,957 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker - can you give me a direct upgrade to the X10?  I love the sound a lot but sometimes I feel like the speed is lacking (I became spoiled with the R-50).

I really don't know of many universals with similar signatures that aren't worse than the X10 overall and beat it in speed/detail resolution. The Heir 8.A reminds me of the X10 but that's... pricy.

Quote:
Hey joker, gonna add the Fidelio S1/S2 to this round up eventually? (after the Inner Fi review's been up a while I imagine?) Just curious how their scores would line up against the field.

I have a few other things I have to finish up in a hurry but I'll definitely add the S1/S2 when I get a chance. They should score in the RE-400 - GR07 range on SQ since they are definite competition for those.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #9,958 of 16,931
Quote:

I really don't know of many universals with similar signatures that aren't worse than the X10 overall and beat it in speed/detail resolution. The Heir 8.A reminds me of the X10 but that's... pricy.

I have a few other things I have to finish up in a hurry but I'll definitely add the S1/S2 when I get a chance. They should score in the RE-400 - GR07 range on SQ since they are definite competition for those.

ljokerl

you own the 8.A?

Have you also heard the 4.A or the 4.Ai? (in this case I'm particularly interested with the comparison between them and the W4)

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #9,959 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

I've been using the Brainwavz M2 on a daily basis and really enjoy their sound.  As with all things I enjoy I find I'm ready to upgrade.  I probably have more classic consumer sensibilities and after reading your reviews have narrowed down the field to about a dozen iems (including a couple of customs).  I'm tentatively setting a $500-$600 limit since this is more about comparison and less about paradigm.  I'd ultimately like to get a good BA and dynamic since I need to hear both to truly appreciate the difference.  I liked your comment about fully appreciating the Miracle due to sheer experience with everything else.

I know there's no direct correlation but I really enjoy my Denon AH-D5000 at home since it's so capable of handling any additional bass I EQ into it but also sounds great without it.  On the other hand my K702s just can't live up to the bass impact I like and the sound level really degrades when I push them with an EQ.  The have great clarity but I only plug them in when I want to remember why I'm not as excited by them.  (I'd love to get my hands on the LCD-2 but that's another story for another day.)

I use my M2s on a daily basis with my iPhone 4S and my Digizoid ZO2.  I really prefer the warmth provided by that mini EQ booster.  I also tend to use the Equalizer app and push the lower frequencies even higher.  I find the M2 is quite capable of handling my combined EQing and doesn't sound particularly muddy with the boost to my ears.  I'm afraid if I start with something boomy/muddy I'll have less flexibility for the tracks that I drop to a flat EQ.  However I have no desire for the ability to reach a completely analytical sound so I'm good with something that's warm with a flat EQ.  I listen primarily to very melodic metal and enjoy the strong (not recessed) mids of the M2.  I'd like to have a good level of detail for some of the more intricate guitar solos.  I also like the fit/isolation with the M2.  I'd like something that doesn't necessarily need to be loud to sound good.  I generally listen in the office so I keep the volume at low/medium listening levels so that I can hear the phone ring.

Based on all of that would you have any suggestion(s)?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here's a picture of one of my usual EQ settings for the M2s with the Equalizer app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back