Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #9,781 of 16,931
Quote:
Even in the lowest bass setting? And what's your opinion about the closest sounfing IEM to the HD650? 
smile.gif

I don't believe I even tried any of the bass settings other than the stock one, so yeah - I think IE8 has overblown bass even on the stock setting, unless you don't really have a seal. But in that case, the highs will become too thin and peaky.

I don't believe I've heard an IEM that sounds like HD650. Maybe Shure SE530/535 sounds similar, but they are too incoherent IMO. What qualities are you looking for exactly?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #9,782 of 16,931
Quote:

I don't believe I even tried any of the bass settings other than the stock one, so yeah - I think IE8 has overblown bass even on the stock setting, unless you don't really have a seal. But in that case, the highs will become too thin and peaky.

I don't believe I've heard an IEM that sounds like HD650. Maybe Shure SE530/535 sounds similar, but they are too incoherent IMO. What qualities are you looking for exactly?

Well, the HD650 is my favourite headphone, all-around! Since the summer here where I live is really hot, I can't really use the HD650 in those hotter months, so I'm after an IEM that will sound as close as possible to them...

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #9,784 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, the HD650 is my favourite headphone, all-around! Since the summer here where I live is really hot, I can't really use the HD650 in those hotter months, so I'm after an IEM that will sound as close as possible to them...

Well, I can recommend an Etymotic HF series or ER4 as great alternatives to HD650 to my ears. No, they don't sound like HD650 - they are certainly less warm, dryer and more upfront. But the difference is not that great actually. The Etys are very well balanced like HD650, they just have emphasis on different qualities. What really matters is the sound quality IMO. HF5 is a bit behind HD650 in sound quality, but only slightly so. ER4S has a higher sound quality than HD650 - more resolving, neutral, accurate and natural IMO.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #9,785 of 16,931
As far my memory go, the SE535 is very similar to the HD600, but not so much to the HD650, but that's based on memory and on the feelings that they caused me.

For some strange reason, not in every music, but in some music, both the HD600 and the SE535 made me stop, listen and say: "WOW"
I was realy, realy, close to buy the HD600, but chose the DT880-250 instead, mainly due do the fact that I found it more flexible genders-wise. And I didn't buy the SE535 basicaly because I had just spent months-worth saving between my speakers, a new headphone and dac/amp.

Still, I would try them before buying if you have the chance. In case you travel inside US, there is an airport store in some airports (at least in NYC and in Dulles airports) that sell lots of air gear, but they also sell IEMs, very good iems(I had the chance to try the SE425, SE535, UM3x and the AKG K3003i), and they have them in expo, for you to try. I belive it's inMotion Entertainment.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #9,787 of 16,931
Quote:

You'll have to be more specific about your budget and requirements. The Soundmagics are both solid IEMs, along with about about a dozen others in that price bracket.

I'm not familiar with the Go-Dap but on the GR01 - you might want to wait for some impressions of the new VSonic VC1000 (mentioned on the previous page) to roll in. Seems like it might be a better deal than the GR01 if it sounds good.

thanks man for the reply, i have a tight budget ,around usd 45 dollar. i m looking for iem that provide high detail sound, clarity ,not so bass,in short just clear music. I m from malaysia, is very hard for me to get a good pair of earphone.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #9,789 of 16,931
Quote:
ljokerl, do you have any experience with the Sennheiser HD650 headphones? I'm trying to find the closest sounding IEM to the HD650, and I wonder what's you opinion about this (if you know the HD650's sound, of course)...

popcorn.gif

Thanks.

I only have an HD580 (which later became the HD600). It sounds pretty balanced (a touch warm) to me, though like jhelsas I preferred the DT880/250 (in my case for its treble energy). I would seriously consider the RE-400 at just $100 if that's the kind of sound you are after. 

Quote:
Whats the difference between BA IEM and hybrid IEM?

A hybrid IEM would have both BA and dynamic drivers.

Quote:
thanks man for the reply, i have a tight budget ,around usd 45 dollar. i m looking for iem that provide high detail sound, clarity ,not so bass,in short just clear music. I m from malaysia, is very hard for me to get a good pair of earphone.

VSonic VC02 should do the trick nicely if you have it available to you. Otherwise I would go for the E30 over the E10 if you don't mind wearing it over-the-ear. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #9,791 of 16,931
AFAIK none of the designs are inherently superior, even BA aren't better than dynamics by default (tho multi-BAs obviously dominate the high end), just different approaches that may suit different preferences depending on how they're built and tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back