Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #9,587 of 16,931
Quote:
Wow.... couldn't believe the IQ got such a good rating on sound. On almost every other review, it seems to be panned as an outrageously overpriced overpolished dog turd. oh btw Joker... would you mind testing the Sennheiser IE800?

I have the IE 800 but it's going to take me a little while to get around to writing it up. Might do a review over at InnerFidelity first. 

Quote:
I find the CK100 definitely have better instrument seperation, clarity and definitely smoother highs in most cases than eq-7's but not as extended. Maybe because the pairing is not the best with the walkman Z I find the vocals sound a bit accented. On some tracks it feels as if vocals are a bit squashed because of the intimate soundstage. Guitars, especially acoustic sounds more realistic on CK100. Comfort, fit and isolation is great, the best i've tried actually.

The CK100 generally has pretty forward vocals. To be honest I haven't heard a set that combines all of the positives of the e-Q7 with the CK100, which seems to be what you want. You should like the Ultimate Ears 900 if you raise the midrange up a bit. 

Quote:
joker, 

dont know if´s been asked but... have you tried the JVC fx3x?

Nope, only the FX1X and FX101. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #9,588 of 16,931
I find the treble of the ER4S slightly elevated, and I was wondering what you would recommend as an alternative. I still want that analytical sound, but with slightly less treble. The GR01, PFE, and RE-400 seem to be good alternatives. I noticed that some have said the HF5 are somewhat less bright compared to the ER4S. 

I have an OEM of the Fischer Audio FA-003, and I really like them. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #9,589 of 16,931
Quote:

The CK100 generally has pretty forward vocals. To be honest I haven't heard a set that combines all of the positives of the e-Q7 with the CK100, which seems to be what you want. You should like the Ultimate Ears 900 if you raise the midrange up a bit. 

Ah, ok. Is there anything that has a big/out of head soundstage but still mid forward, with neutral bass. Good treble extension but never harsh/sibilant. With very good clarity, I don't like a veiled or metallic sound. The only ones I know of that are known for a big soundstage are IE8, FX700, EX1000, SM3, TF10.

The TF10, IE8 and FX700 are v-shaped and will be too bassy for my liking based on reviews.

The SM3 I find is too thick and lack the clarity i'm looking for.

The closest is probably the EX1000, but the treble tilt may pose a problem for me and the isolation and fit is bad.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #9,590 of 16,931
need some help getting a lo mid fi iem. i am using e30 & like them a lot and would like to have something which has the same open and airy sound with better soundstage. i just hate closed sound. i am open to try a different signature but soundstage has to be very wide and decently deep from iem standards with more clarity than e30. more like 3Dimensional with openess & airyness out of the head feel. i am eyeing on these as of now i can only get these in my country.
>vsonic gr06 --$65(rated quite high)
normal_smile .gif

>brainwavz m4--$40(1st owner but sealed unit), $70(new)
>brainwavz R1--$30(idea of dual dynamic is tempting)

would like to know about the soundstage and instrument seperation of the above mentioned iems. which one you think would be a decent upgrade over the e30?
no basshead by any means and like it to be clean, tighter with good body, mids to be clear and good textured, treble with good extension with some decent sparkle.
any other suggestion is appreciated but i have to see the availabilty at my place.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #9,591 of 16,931
Quote:
Ah, ok. Is there anything that has a big/out of head soundstage but still mid forward, with neutral bass. Good treble extension but never harsh/sibilant. With very good clarity, I don't like a veiled or metallic sound. The only ones I know of that are known for a big soundstage are IE8, FX700, EX1000, SM3, TF10.

The TF10, IE8 and FX700 are v-shaped and will be too bassy for my liking based on reviews.

The closest is probably the EX1000, but the treble tilt may pose a problem for me and the isolation and fit is bad.

I'd say MDR-7550, but isolation and fit are the same as with the EX1000.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #9,593 of 16,931
+3 on the MDR-7550

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #9,595 of 16,931
Quote:
I find the treble of the ER4S slightly elevated, and I was wondering what you would recommend as an alternative. I still want that analytical sound, but with slightly less treble. The GR01, PFE, and RE-400 seem to be good alternatives. I noticed that some have said the HF5 are somewhat less bright compared to the ER4S. 

I have an OEM of the Fischer Audio FA-003, and I really like them. 

I would skip the PFE and go for a HiFiMan set over the GR01. The RE-400 or RE272 should work nicely.

Quote:

I still think the UE 900 would work but the 7550 is a good option too.

Quote:
need some help getting a lo mid fi iem. i am using e30 & like them a lot and would like to have something which has the same open and airy sound with better soundstage. i just hate closed sound. i am open to try a different signature but soundstage has to be very wide and decently deep from iem standards with more clarity than e30. more like 3Dimensional with openess & airyness out of the head feel. i am eyeing on these as of now i can only get these in my country.
>vsonic gr06 --$65(rated quite high)
normal_smile .gif

>brainwavz m4--$40(1st owner but sealed unit), $70(new)
>brainwavz R1--$30(idea of dual dynamic is tempting)

would like to know about the soundstage and instrument seperation of the above mentioned iems. which one you think would be a decent upgrade over the e30?
no basshead by any means and like it to be clean, tighter with good body, mids to be clear and good textured, treble with good extension with some decent sparkle.
any other suggestion is appreciated but i have to see the availabilty at my place.

I haven't reviewed the M4 or R1 and the GR06 isn't the most open-sounding earphone, though it's certainly not bad in that regard. If Sony sets are available to you and reasonably-priced, you would probably like the EX300 or EX500.

Quote:
Hey, any plans in reviewing the 1Plus2 and RDB+ hybrids? 

Not at this time.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #9,596 of 16,931
Thanks, ljokerl. 

I have the opportunity to have the HF5 for £50, but I think I will get the RE-400 now. 

I once had the ATH-CK10, and I really liked them, only the treble was too much for me.

Any reason for skipping the PFE? Are the RE-400s technically superior? 

Anyway, I have ordered the RE-400, I can not wait to hear them. :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #9,597 of 16,931
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #9,599 of 16,931
Joker,

I tried the Triple Flange Etyomics in the Ultrasone IQ but did not here much difference from the Comply tips.  Both seal well for me and provide the quality of music I like. I did a bass tone sweep test and can hear down to somewhere between 10-20hz fine but it does roll off from 70hz and below.

I purchased some X10s since they had a good deal on Amazon.  Needed something for running since the IQs connections seemed to cut out at times while running. I will have to see what the Klipsh X10s can do for bass extension. The X10s just don't compare to the Ultrasone IQs in mid and high range detail or tightness of the bass.  They seem to have more bass but less quality.  Doesn't matter much when working out because you just don't bother with the music detail as much.To me the IQs sound is more realistic in mids and highs.  I tapped some cymbals on the drum kit and its pretty close for me.  Listening to live music as well the IQs are pretty close to me.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #9,600 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks, ljokerl. 

I have the opportunity to have the HF5 for £50, but I think I will get the RE-400 now. 

I once had the ATH-CK10, and I really liked them, only the treble was too much for me.

Any reason for skipping the PFE? Are the RE-400s technically superior? 

Anyway, I have ordered the RE-400, I can not wait to hear them. :)

I just think the RE-400 is smoother than the PFE with the gray filters that I like.

Quote:
Can't believe I haven't done this before, but... Subscribed!

Great job/s on the reviews joker... Keep em coming :)

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Joker,

I tried the Triple Flange Etyomics in the Ultrasone IQ but did not here much difference from the Comply tips.  Both seal well for me and provide the quality of music I like. .

I can get a decent seal with Comply P-series tips on them but sadly don't have a pair of those anymore.

Quote:
I did a bass tone sweep test and can hear down to somewhere between 10-20hz fine but it does roll off from 70hz and below.

That's pretty typical of dynamic drivers to be honest. The IE 800 does the same and the K3003 is somewhat more extended but still not completely linear. 

Quote:
I purchased some X10s since they had a good deal on Amazon.  Needed something for running since the IQs connections seemed to cut out at times while running. I will have to see what the Klipsh X10s can do for bass extension. The X10s just don't compare to the Ultrasone IQs in mid and high range detail or tightness of the bass.  They seem to have more bass but less quality.  Doesn't matter much when working out because you just don't bother with the music detail as much.To me the IQs sound is more realistic in mids and highs.  I tapped some cymbals on the drum kit and its pretty close for me.  Listening to live music as well the IQs are pretty close to me.

I would be careful with the X10 for exercise use - the pair I had split along the seam on the back of the strain relief. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back