Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #9,571 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if that's a vent on the IQ but the isolation is average for a high-end monitor. It's better than with the K3003 or IE800, though. The IE 800 isolates pretty poorly. 

Shure tips fit but my Shure gray flex sleeves (which I normally like) sounded pretty bad. The IQ has way more treble than the UE 900 with the stock tips or with the shure flex sleeves. I found some other tips that work decently well but most just sound bad.

The IE 800 has some strange ringing in the treble, there's a lot of treble energy and slow decay. The treble actually sounds brighter and more splashy than that of my IQ. The bass is heavier with the Sennheiser, but not by much. Soundstaging and clarity are very good - I would say the IE 800 beats the IQ in soundstaging and keeps up with it in clarity. 

If I'm going to listen outside all the time (with the traffic noise, people speaking, etc), wouldn't a high end IEM with mediocre isolation defeat the purpose since I won't be able to hear/make out all the details and etc. I own the JVC FX700 and PFE 232

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #9,572 of 16,931
Quote:

If I'm going to listen outside all the time (with the traffic noise, people speaking, etc), wouldn't a high end IEM with mediocre isolation defeat the purpose since I won't be able to hear/make out all the details and etc. I own the JVC FX700 and PFE 232

can you hear details from the jvc fx700 while outside with traffic noise and such?

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #9,573 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

i'm looking for an iem with good clarity and something that has natural/tube-like/airy vocals of the eq-7's. With a bigger soundstage of the eq-7's (or atleast on par) but still maintaining the forward/lush mids.  I am also looking for the same amount of and accurate bass that they provide. However, I find that there upper mids/treble are harsh, piercing and unrefined. They also seem more forward which could pose a problem for high pitched female vocals and distorted/bass guitars which can cause fatigue. Is there anything that keeps the positive aspects of the eq-7 that i've mentioned but with better clarity/refinement/air on the upper mids/highs. Also looking for good fit, comfort and isolation. Would the FAD Heaven C fit these criteria? Or are there any other suggestions.

iem's I curently have: re262, eq-7, ck100.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #9,574 of 16,931
I'm really waiting for the dual-dynamic-driver from Meelec to come out...
are there high hopes for this one?
could it compete with the JVC HA-FXT90???
and while speaking of the HA-FXT90... how's it's microphonics compared to
the Meelec CW31? (not sound quality...just microphonics :) )

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #9,575 of 16,931
Quote:

can you hear details from the jvc fx700 while outside with traffic noise and such?

I just turn my ipod to 50%. I normally listen at 35-40%. FX700 is fairly easy to drive, I don't want to listen at 75%, just feels a bit loud. But I think that volume wouldn't damage your hearing as long as you don't listen to it for too long.
In busy streets, yes, it's a bit annoying. Normally, I don't walk on the busiest streets. But PFE 232 is a bit better.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #9,576 of 16,931
Quote:
A lot of metal isn't recorded all the well, which could be part of what you're hearing. IIRC the iPod bass booster just cuts down on the other frequencies, which may make the deficiencies harder to hear.

Yea but it's also stuff that sound awesome on my PX200II for example, and they're all in 320kbps :p
By the way, they're also very comfortable which is awesome, it was a real issue for me on my last earphones :)

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #9,577 of 16,931
I would go for the JVC FXT90 but it really depends on what you're willing to spend and where you want to see improvement. 

I am using some Meelec M6 bi-flanges on my 3580 but it's pretty forgiving of different tips and sounds good to me even with the stock ones. 

I'm not sure if that's a vent on the IQ but the isolation is average for a high-end monitor. It's better than with the K3003 or IE800, though. The IE 800 isolates pretty poorly. 

Shure tips fit but my Shure gray flex sleeves (which I normally like) sounded pretty bad. The IQ has way more treble than the UE 900 with the stock tips or with the shure flex sleeves. I found some other tips that work decently well but most just sound bad.

If they sound bad with stock tips or indeed most tips do they deserve such a high score?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9,578 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker,

i'm looking for an iem with good clarity and something that has natural/tube-like/airy vocals of the eq-7's. With a bigger soundstage of the eq-7's (or atleast on par) but still maintaining the forward/lush mids.  I am also looking for the same amount of and accurate bass that they provide. However, I find that there upper mids/treble are harsh, piercing and unrefined. They also seem more forward which could pose a problem for high pitched female vocals and distorted/bass guitars which can cause fatigue. Is there anything that keeps the positive aspects of the eq-7 that i've mentioned but with better clarity/refinement/air on the upper mids/highs. Also looking for good fit, comfort and isolation. Would the FAD Heaven C fit these criteria? Or are there any other suggestions.

Thanks.

What to you think of the CK100? I don't think the FAD sets I've heard fit those requirements much better than the e-Q7 or CK100 (or RE272, which is brighter than the RE262 but still somewhat similar to it).

Quote:
I'm really waiting for the dual-dynamic-driver from Meelec to come out...
are there high hopes for this one?
could it compete with the JVC HA-FXT90???
and while speaking of the HA-FXT90... how's it's microphonics compared to
the Meelec CW31? (not sound quality...just microphonics :) )

No idea about the MEElec dual-driver. From what I understand it has a crossover element, which is promising (as opposed to the FXT90, which uses differences in driver composition, and Fischer Audio Tandem, which uses differences in driver positioning). 

The cable noise tends to be very low with modern JVC earphones, so should be similar to CW31 cable noise.

Quote:
I just turn my ipod to 50%. I normally listen at 35-40%. FX700 is fairly easy to drive, I don't want to listen at 75%, just feels a bit loud. But I think that volume wouldn't damage your hearing as long as you don't listen to it for too long.
In busy streets, yes, it's a bit annoying. Normally, I don't walk on the busiest streets. But PFE 232 is a bit better.

The IQ isolates better than the PFE 232. Does the mediocre isolation defeat the purpose of the 232?

Quote:
If they sound bad with stock tips or indeed most tips do they deserve such a high score?

Good question. My reasoning was that it does not make sense to take off points for both sound and accessories for the same issue (i.e. lack of tips that fit me properly) - sort of a double jeopardy situation. In the end I decided to knock the accessory score down rather than try to figure out what the sound score should be with stock tips while listening to them with aftermarket tips. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #9,579 of 16,931
Quote:

The IQ isolates better than the PFE 232. Does the mediocre isolation defeat the purpose of the 232?

Well, I almost sold my PFE 232 (because I disliked the upper mids) until I found an EQ application for my iPod Touch. Since you rated FX700's isolation as 2.5 and PFE 232's isolation as 3.5. IQ is 4 in isolation. It seems like just slightly better. As you mentioned before, the difference between FX700 and $800-$100 high end universal is small, plus the fact that I'm not using an amp and a mediocre source (iPod Touch), it doesn't seem like it's worth it.

How are the sound quality of PFE 232 and IQ compare? Small difference? Sound signature aside, do you have to listen carefully to differentiate the sound quality between the two?

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #9,580 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi joker! 
Massive, massive thread and extremely helpful!
I have the Philips SHE3580 and I generally love their sound for hip hop, r'n'b, electronic music... they do seem to get a little muddled in faster more noisier music
What models would be a significant upgrade over them but still retaining the same sound signature?
Also what's your preferred tips with SHE3580?

she9700

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #9,581 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, I almost sold my PFE 232 (because I disliked the upper mids) until I found an EQ application for my iPod Touch. Since you rated FX700's isolation as 2.5 and PFE 232's isolation as 3.5. IQ is 4 in isolation. It seems like just slightly better. As you mentioned before, the difference between FX700 and $800-$100 high end universal is small, plus the fact that I'm not using an amp and a mediocre source (iPod Touch), it doesn't seem like it's worth it.

How are the sound quality of PFE 232 and IQ compare? Small difference? Sound signature aside, do you have to listen carefully to differentiate the sound quality between the two?

I always preferred the IQ in my comparisons to the PFE232. The difference is immediately apparent with no careful listening required, but of course part of it is sound signature.  

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #9,582 of 16,931
Wow.... couldn't believe the IQ got such a good rating on sound. On almost every other review, it seems to be panned as an outrageously overpriced overpolished dog turd. oh btw Joker... would you mind testing the Sennheiser IE800?

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #9,583 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Joker,

Thanks.

What to you think of the CK100? I don't think the FAD sets I've heard fit those requirements much better than the e-Q7 or CK100 (or RE272, which is brighter than the RE262 but still somewhat similar to it).

I find the CK100 definitely have better instrument seperation, clarity and definitely smoother highs in most cases than eq-7's but not as extended. Maybe because the pairing is not the best with the walkman Z I find the vocals sound a bit accented. On some tracks it feels as if vocals are a bit squashed because of the intimate soundstage. Guitars, especially acoustic sounds more realistic on CK100. Comfort, fit and isolation is great, the best i've tried actually.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #9,585 of 16,931
Quote:

I always preferred the IQ in my comparisons to the PFE232. The difference is immediately apparent with no careful listening required, but of course part of it is sound signature.  

Assuming you didn't EQ, I definitely like PFE 232 with black filter instead of gray filter. I'm not surprised that the difference is immediately apparent. But how about just sound qualities and instrument separation alone?
Other factors like soundstage, presentation, etc are not that big of a deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back