MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,856 of 9,071

It wasn't possible to get a reliable finish, and there's no realistic way to repair imperfections after painting.  Since most parts have imperfections....

A quick update on deliveries.  We didn't quite get as many done today as hoped because we had a delivery of our black risers that had too many defects and they need to be redone.  Apologies, but a few people on/around the 6th may not ship until Wednesday next week.  However, I am pretty confident forecasting that by the end of next week we'll ship orders, black and red, placed up to around April 20.  

As a reminder, tomorrow to the end of the day Monday we will be out of the office and not shipping.  Shipments will resume Tuesday.

You just made me very happy because that timing falls right in line with my new Woo amp arriving.  You all are doing a hell of a job with the demand, plus your meticulous attention to detail was one of the main reasons I ordered.  Its something I look for in my line of work being in IT and a mindset I try to get my employees to have. 

Can't wait, I even reorganized my desk at work already in preparation for their arrival lol.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #6,857 of 9,071

With your volume of closed-back headphones, I'll be looking forward to reading your impressions!

Well you won't be reading them for at least a couple of weeks....I got an e-mail indicating there is a delay and they won't be shipped until mid/end of next week.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #6,858 of 9,071

Well you won't be reading them for at least a couple of weeks....I got an e-mail indicating there is a delay and they won't be shipped until mid/end of next week.

Super sorry about that, I really hate not making a commitment but our risers that came in today just weren't done right, the finish was not too spec at all and they now have to be reprocessed.... :frowning2:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 1, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #6,859 of 9,071
Just received my gloss black Alpha Dog, they are nothing less than amazing!

However I often listen to music loud and need to depending on the situation but with the arrow 3g it just doesn't quite cut it. I would like another portable, reasonably cheap amp that is very capable of driving these. My first thought was the E12 but would that be a big step up from the arrow?

If there are any other reasonably priced recommendations please let me know (up to $400).

the geekout 1000 pairs well with the AlphaDog

May 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6,860 of 9,071

Super sorry about that, I really hate not making a commitment but our risers that came in today just weren't done right, the finish was not too spec at all and they now have to be reprocessed.... :frowning2:

Hey not a problem. I will be getting an Alpha Dog that is in proper spec and that's all that matters.

May 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #6,861 of 9,071
I remember he wrote that every Alpha Dog since one or two months ago were tuned with dots, I ordered my Alpha Dog on 8th of January and received it on 10th of March and it has two dots, one for each driver.

Sorry I've kinda lost touch with this thread a little..is the AD standard now with just one dot per channel? Are the filter pads in too by default?

May 1, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #6,862 of 9,071
I believe that they are tuned based on the specific pair, according to Dan. Because there are slight variations in the fostex drivers, one pair may need two dots while the next pair may need only one. And the same with the disks. 

May 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #6,863 of 9,071
  I believe that they are tuned based on the specific pair, according to Dan. Because there are slight variations in the fostex drivers, one pair may need two dots while the next pair may need only one. And the same with the disks. 

X1 

That matches up with everything I've read MrSpeakers say about the individual tuning and how many dots/disks. 

May 1, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #6,864 of 9,071
Guys, I haven't been following this thread so please answer some questions. After hearing the AD's at the recent Charlotte meet, I decided to look for a used pair. I just purchased a used pair on Head-Fi this past Tuesday and should receive them next Monday. How do I check for these tuning dots? Do I need to remove the earpads? Are the tuning dots necessary on every pair? Is there a serial number or some way to identify each phone to determine when it was manufactured? Thanks for your help.

May 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #6,865 of 9,071
  Guys, I haven't been following this thread so please answer some questions. After hearing the AD's at the recent Charlotte meet, I decided to look for a used pair. I just purchased a used pair on Head-Fi this past Tuesday and should receive them next Monday. How do I check for these tuning dots? Do I need to remove the earpads? Are the tuning dots necessary on every pair? Is there a serial number or some way to identify each phone to determine when it was manufactured? Thanks for your help.

i'd start here

May 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #6,866 of 9,071

There was a video that MrSpeakers posted on youtube that shows where the dots are and how to take off the earpads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQuY3_mKSo He announced the changes on Feb 2-20-14 and that week said that all Alpha Dogs shipped out were being tuned with either one or two dots. 

If you know the purchase date of your Alpha Dog, you should know if it has dots... 

Not sure about the serial number...

May 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #6,869 of 9,071
  Just received my gloss black Alpha Dog, they are nothing less than amazing!

However I often listen to music loud and need to depending on the situation but with the arrow 3g it just doesn't quite cut it. I would like another portable, reasonably cheap amp that is very capable of driving these. My first thought was the E12 but would that be a big step up from the arrow?

If there are any other reasonably priced recommendations please let me know (up to $400).

Hey reminence - another great portable option for the AD's is an O2, which sounds particularly good with the addition of agdr's booster board.  This was previously a smd/diy only project, but complete boards are supposed to be available later this month for a little over $100.  (See http://www.agdraudio.com/Page2.html).  Basically, you would just have to unplug a couple of opamps from a standard JDS 02, plug the booster in in their place and then solder 3 wires.  Agdr has a wealth of info posted on this over on diyaudio with abundant photos.  The booster also lets you drop a dual LME49990 adapter in the O2's gain stage (unplugging the stock op amp and putting the adapter in its place), turning it into something far more impressive than the original O2 both on paper and to my ears.  Paired with an odac, it makes for a perfect compact AD rig, at least for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back