MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #6,871 of 9,071
FWIW - as far as battery powered portables go, I'm not sure anything out there has significantly more "juice" than an O2.  Double 9 volts certainly aren't going to drive a HE6 and there's some controversy over whether or not an O2 can really manage LCD 2's, but even at unity gain, a stock O2 can easily drive AD's or any other fostex t50rp based headphone.  I used my stock diy O2 quite often, for several months, with my AD's before the mod and found the pairing to be quite good, albeit a little light on bass for my tastes.  Playing with the doggie treats and adding the agdr mod have left me very happy with my bedside rig though.

May 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #6,872 of 9,071
Nice one skeptic! I'm definitely going to look into the booster board as I've built an O2. In my experience, I'll say that the O2 drives the ADs just fine. One might argue that the O2 doesn't synergize with the ADs or isn't to their liking, but as far as driving capabilities goes the amp is fine and makes a good portable / work desk option for those looking for a sub $200 amp.

May 1, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6,873 of 9,071
  FWIW - as far as battery powered portables go, I'm not sure anything out there has significantly more "juice" than an O2.  Double 9 volts certainly aren't going to drive a HE6 and there's some controversy over whether or not an O2 can really manage LCD 2's, but even at unity gain, a stock O2 can easily drive AD's or any other fostex t50rp based headphone.  I used my stock diy O2 quite often, for several months, with my AD's before the mod and found the pairing to be quite good, albeit a little light on bass for my tastes.  Playing with the doggie treats and adding the agdr mod have left me very happy with my bedside rig though.

The HiFi M8 is probably the most powerful portable I know of. Not exactly cheap but not pricey like a Hugo either.

May 2, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #6,875 of 9,071
  Did anyone have a chance to compare what the ADs sound like with a solid state vs tube amp? What is preferred in general?

To me, basically if you like tubes, you will like the Alphas with tubes.  If you like solid state…  I generally prefer solid state.  I like the Alphas with solid state.  Kinda thinking about a Lyr though….

EDIT - Just reread the above - I'm honestly not trying to be a wanker - The AD's just basically reflect the amp you use.  I like them with solid state, found them a bit syrupy the one time I tried a Lyr, but I think that was as much the choice of tubes as anything.  Dan has a Cavalli that I'm pretty sure is a tube amp, and the Alphas are magical out of that amp.

Others - del free to chime in and help me out - I'm getting in trouble here….

May 2, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #6,876 of 9,071
I just got my black ADs : ]

I am super impressed especially by the tightness of the bass and how it doesn't bleed into the mids or the highs.

Also the highs are nice and sparkly but not as bright as my DT880s, IMO just the perfect balance. I haven't opened up the earpads to see how Dan tuned my phones but I like the natural sound and the fact that I can go through my whole collection without piercing my ears with treble.

The 6Moons review was just right, the bass quality and amount is almost on par with the LCD-2 but closer to neutral. Still these are not bass light cans there is a sensation that you feel with them on 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #6,877 of 9,071
Try the alpha with a TUR-06 ( portable TUBE amp).

May 2, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #6,878 of 9,071
  To me, basically if you like tubes, you will like the Alphas with tubes.  If you like solid state…  I generally prefer solid state.  I like the Alphas with solid state.  Kinda thinking about a Lyr though….

EDIT - Just reread the above - I'm honestly not trying to be a wanker - The AD's just basically reflect the amp you use.  I like them with solid state, found them a bit syrupy the one time I tried a Lyr, but I think that was as much the choice of tubes as anything.  Dan has a Cavalli that I'm pretty sure is a tube amp, and the Alphas are magical out of that amp.

Others - del free to chime in and help me out - I'm getting in trouble here….

i'd say you hit the nail on the head, i have a mad ear+ hd, and a bryston, i like both, depending on music, and my mood , i also had the lyr for a while to, and really liked it with the AD, but i'm generally a tube guy first,
i think the AD is resolving enough to reflect the amp you're using, whether tube or solid state, warm amp, warm sound, bright amp, bright sound , etc

May 2, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #6,879 of 9,071
Gentlemen,
- I wonder if the Alpha use the same conectors than AUDEZE ? In other words can I use cables designed for AUDEZE with it?

- Are there already someTOL third party câbles désigned for the Alpha that are Recommended and know to provide réal SQ upgrade ?

Thanks

May 2, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #6,880 of 9,071
Gentlemen,
- I wonder if the Alpha use the same conectors than AUDEZE ? In other words can I use cables designed for AUDEZE with it?

- Are there already someTOL third party câbles désigned for the Alpha that are Recommended and know to provide réal SQ upgrade ?

Thanks

the AD and audeze use different connectors, but some of the custom cable makers can make an adapter, allowing one cable to be used with both headphone types
i have a cable ordered from double helix cables coming, with the "triple threat" adapter, it'll fit on the alpha dog allowing me to use the cable with it, and the lcd-x

May 2, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #6,881 of 9,071
the AD and audeze use different connectors, but some of the custom cable makers can make an adapter, allowing one câblé to be used with both headphone types
i have a cable ordered from double helix cables coming, with the "triple threat" adapter, it'll fit on the alpha dog allowing me to use the cable with it, and the lcd-x

Thanks a lot for the answer.

- Since you have the Alpha & the LCD-X CAN you tell me how their SQ compare ? Do you use the Alpha ONLY when you need isolation or are there some situation where you prefer the Alpha over the X even if you do not need isolation ?

- Does the double hélix câble really improve booth headphone ? Which double hélix câble did you bought (they have many flavour :)

Thanks

( I have TH900, Roxane and waiting for my Alpha.  And... wondering about the X Since it it said to be such à Good match with the HUGO...   :wink:

May 2, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #6,882 of 9,071
The AD uses hi rose where the Audeze uses mini xlr. As Jay pointed out, you can use one cable with an adapter for both. Q Audio makes just such a cable and the adapters and I have tried them and recommend them highly. 

May 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #6,885 of 9,071
Man that triple threat adapter is ridiculous. Anyone else know a better place to get one? 140 for an adapter seems like stealing to me.

Ah, yeah, that's about what I paid for a high quality adaptor for some under the sink plumbing I did last year.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back