MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #6,902 of 9,071
Work, sure. But he takes them on the plane!

I have a couple of international trips coming up. I am super excited to be taking the ADs. It's of course going to be a pain when I need to visit the Loo :wink:.

Has anybody tried the AK240 with the ADs directly without an Amp.

May 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #6,903 of 9,071
  i certainly don't doubt that you think you hear a difference. 

wow, you take the ADs traveling with you? that's one whole carry-on! 
wink.gif

I'm not a headphone collector or like some people who have headphone for each occasion or worse each different genre, I simply dont have the money for it.

I do take it everywhere Its not that big of a hasle for me. I take it to work and people make fun of me all the time, but who care I enjoy not hearing people yap and listen to some quality music. The funny thing is, one of them was making fun of me, so I let him slip it on, and he was like "whoah holy sh!t these are nice! compare to my iphone earbuds."

May 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #6,904 of 9,071

I used to think that too. As a matter of fact I used to laugh at the people that spend ridiculous money on cables, but ever since I bought my Alpha Dog from a member name cute. He send me a double helix cable along with the stock cable and yes there is a big difference, you cant say its in my head because I dint pay extra for it. The sound-stage is bigger, it is more clearer, the Bass is less but more detail. Now do I reccomend paying 1000 for the best of the best cable? probably not, there is that price/performance factor but needless to say, I been using the aftermarket cable more than the stock cable and quiet happy with it.

the bonus is its durable cable (except for the adapter which crapping out) and it looks very nice, I gotten compliments on airplane from several people about the cable (and the headphone of course).

Would you know which Double Helix cable he sent you (that made such a nice difference in the sound qualilty)?  They make several cables for headphones.  Thx.

May 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6,905 of 9,071
From my personal experience playing around with cables, anything with silver is not a good idea if you value your bass or don't want more treble.  
So for AD, it's signature and the addition of the doggie treats, I assume that no one wants more treble and less bass which is what you will end up with most silver products.

May 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #6,906 of 9,071
Thanks a lot for the answer.

- Since you have the Alpha & the LCD-X CAN you tell me how their SQ compare ? Do you use the Alpha ONLY when you need isolation or are there some situation where you prefer the Alpha over the X even if you do not need isolation ?

- Does the double hélix câble really improve booth headphone ? Which double hélix câble did you bought (they have many flavour :)

Thanks

( I have TH900, Roxane and waiting for my Alpha.  And... wondering about the X Since it it said to be such à Good match with the HUGO...   :wink:

this is the cable i have right now,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/699277/dhc-macromolecule-8-wire-occ-cable-w-viablue-y-split-for-audeze-lcd2-3-x-xc
i liked it so much, i decided to get a balanced one and the adapter to use with the alpha dog, i haven't gotten it yet

as for the SQ regarding both, both great but different. the soundstage is much bigger with the x as expected, deeper bass, but the alpha's bass is faster it seems, the lcd x is slightly warm, where i find the alpha clear, neutral, highly detailed
i really use both equally i think, the alpha may be more "fun" snappy, PRAT, where the X has a grand warm, scale to it

May 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6,907 of 9,071
  I'm getting a custom cable for my Alphas, but strictly for ergonomics - less stiff, and with a mini XLR termination and two adapters, mini XLR to 1/4" stereo, and mini XLR to 4 pin XLR for balanced use.  The stock cable is good, but a bit stiff, and a full size XLR to 1/4" is a bit bulky.  Plus I wanted something new and cool looking…  Do I expect to hear a difference? No - the stock cable is good.  Most studios use the same cabling for most of the recording mics.

Mogami cable is what is used on the cables and I find it to be pretty high quality. I do think the stock cable is stiff too and I'd prefer a round braid I was looking at the DHC Molecule or a Norse Audio cable. I think the Alpha Dogs would look coolest with a 4 wire Nucleotide cable with clear insulation so the copper can stand out from the black AD

May 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #6,908 of 9,071
  this is the cable i have right now,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/699277/dhc-macromolecule-8-wire-occ-cable-w-viablue-y-split-for-audeze-lcd2-3-x-xc
i liked it so much, i decided to get a balanced one and the adapter to use with the alpha dog, i haven't gotten it yet

as for the SQ regarding both, both great but different. the soundstage is much bigger with the x as expected, deeper bass, but the alpha's bass is faster it seems, the lcd x is slightly warm, where i find the alpha clear, neutral, highly detailed
i really use both equally i think, the alpha may be more "fun" snappy, PRAT, where the X has a grand warm, scale to it

Wow I really like hearing your impressions! The Alpha Dogs seem like they could scale even better with Nucleotide OCC cables : ]

May 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #6,909 of 9,071
  Wow I really like hearing your impressions! The Alpha Dogs seem like they could scale even better with Nucleotide OCC cables : ]

it'll be interesting to get the adapters
, where i can try additional cables
i got my AD from kugino , and he had a custom cable with wire from BTG , i think i like it better than the stock balanced cable

May 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #6,910 of 9,071

Good to hear! I'm assuming you mean balanced ?
smile.gif

Yes the bass is well balanced and fast enough to keep up when needed. It extends really deep though and has a nice rumble with some bass heavy tracks. The Alpha Dogs wipe the floor with my DT880s in regards to bass extension and texture. The DT880s are good at bass speed though and mid attack but the ADs are too enjoyable and musical to put down. I am upgrading to a DHC Molecule cable as well to see any differences. I am getting adjust to the stock sound so I will be able to tell the differences when I order them and test them out.

Just listening to the ADs though I feel that they are the perfect balance without sounding too "wet" or "dry" in regards to the signature. They are tonally on point and sound fantastic with the airy extended treble that makes you go WOW this headphone is closed and can do that?

May 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #6,911 of 9,071
Thank you! Looking forward to receiving them soon.

May 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,912 of 9,071
Would you know which Double Helix cable he sent you (that made such a nice difference in the sound qualilty)?  They make several cables for headphones.  Thx.

He send me the peptide synergy one. You gotta have a custom adapter made the wire itself Is for audeze cans but with an adapter you can use the wire.

Sound signature goes..like I said wider soundstage. The bass is more detail, slightly less if that make any sense. More treble, I add the dogs treat to smooth it out but I love it. I may get a pure copper one.

May 4, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #6,913 of 9,071
Has anybody tried the AK240 with the ADs directly without an Amp.

I have used the AD's with the AK240. While the sound is definitely high quality, the AK240 does run out of gas on more demanding music or if you like to reach rock concert levels. I use the combo at work and enjoy it quite a lot. It serves my purposes nicely.

May 5, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #6,914 of 9,071
Subbed..just got a md3.2 and so impressed with Mr speakers house sound I'm really considering the alpha AND keeping the md for that fun on the go sound. Only thing keeping me from it is my LCD-xc sitting in the corner. Anyone here has an xc and alpha?care to share impressions..by the way it took me 4 full days to get to this page from post number 1.:)

May 5, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #6,915 of 9,071
I have used the AD's with the AK240. While the sound is definitely high quality, the AK240 does run out of gas on more demanding music or if you like to reach rock concert levels. I use the combo at work and enjoy it quite a lot. It serves my purposes nicely.

Is this on single ended or balanced out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back