MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Apr 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,826 of 9,071
One thing I didn't mention was isolation. I'm using the dogs at work and people are constantly talking around me. Unfortunately outside noises are still very evident. With my music playing I'm not easily distracted but with softer music there's a good amount of noise that gets in. At least my music isn't getting out.

A good test to see if you have a good fit is to put the phones on your head and rub your finger tips together, slowly circling the pad where it touches the head.  If you hear your fingertips your fit is off, and you will hear, and be heard...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #6,827 of 9,071
Hmmm, that's interesting. I found the ADs to isolate extremely well, on par with the senn hd280 and darth beyers of yesteryear.

That's nice to hear. The HD280 isolates really well but has a death clamp : D they also have pathetic not so extended highs and piercing treble. I'm assuming the Alpha Dog has a much better soundstage than the HD280?

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #6,828 of 9,071
That's nice to hear. The HD280 isolates really well but has a death clamp : D they also have pathetic not so extended highs and piercing treble. I'm assuming the Alpha Dog has a much better soundstage than the HD280?
Oh, I was just talking about isolation. Sound quality? The ADs are heaps better. In fact, I said the hd280 were the worst headphones I ever listened to in that worst headphones thread.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #6,829 of 9,071
Oh, I was just talking about isolation. Sound quality? The ADs are heaps better. In fact, I said the hd280 were the worst headphones I ever listened to in that worst headphones thread.

Hehe I only hold onto mine because they are my "beater"  headphones. I got them 3 years ago on sale for $79 and I've thrown them, they've been submerged in water, they've been stepped on and not a single crack or anything and they still work fine. I agree though they suck compared to most decent headphones. I'd say the only thing they're good at is pop music and hip hop since they aren't really detailed and they have a whump whump type of bass that has little texture but nice extension.

EDIT:: Just checked my e-mail and... dun dun Alpha Dogs are shipping with tracking number!!! Dear Lord I live in San Diego please it shouldn't take more than a day if they are coming from Dan. He really started busting out some orders 
cool.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #6,830 of 9,071
Loving my ADs so far, just wondering if it's possible to get a cable of similar quality to the ADs cable but less stiff etc, I'm not interested in spending crazy money on cables, just wondering if you can get a lighter more flexible cable for around 80-100 USD?

Apart from the cable (which isn't a big deal) I'm loving these phones, so darn comfortable.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #6,832 of 9,071
Loving my ADs so far, just wondering if it's possible to get a cable of similar quality to the ADs cable but less stiff etc, I'm not interested in spending crazy money on cables, just wondering if you can get a lighter more flexible cable for around 80-100 USD?

Apart from the cable (which isn't a big deal) I'm loving these phones, so darn comfortable.

like this one? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #6,834 of 9,071
In regards to isolation I would say that It wont be hugely better than earmuffs or earplugs which only knock off a fair amount of dB but never actually get close to blocking out all sound. Keep that in mind.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #6,835 of 9,071
  like this one? 
biggrin.gif

Yeah something like that, did you buy that one aftermarket or make it yourself?

i now own these alphas, i bought them from kugino a couple of weeks ago, he got the cable from btg audio, its super light, very flexible, well made, sounds great !

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #6,837 of 9,071
  actually, i got the wire from btg, but made the cable myself. thanks, jay! :)

ahhhh, yes, its well made , any thoughts of going pro ?? lol

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #6,838 of 9,071
Hi guys, second post here after lurking around for 3 years lol. Anyway I previously had the Mad Dogs 3.2, sold them this morning and picked up a pair of 2nd hand Alpha Dogs later in the day. It's one of the recent pairs with the BMF dot installed. When I was trying out the Mad Dogs a few months back, I originally never thought about getting the Alpha Dogs until I got curious and decided to have a quick demo to see what the big deal was about and boy did I (or rather my wallet) regret it.

Some interesting observations against my impressions of the BMF dot-less Alpha Dog demo pair at E1 Personal Audio which I demo-ed extensively for a few hours over 2 sessions (yes, that's what a 'quick demo' turned into). Treble is now very very smooth and extended. Previously, some of my songs were unlistenable because of the peaky treble on the demo set, but pair I have on hand has zero sibilance or hot treble of whatever sort on most of the my offending music except for a select few Owl City songs, which are probably due to inherent mastering flaws.

Perhaps because the treble peaks have been tuned down a little, the bass seems to be relatively more present. I always felt the bass on the demo set was a little wanting against my JH13 customs which are admittedly boosted in the sub bass and thought it was my O2-ODAC's fault for under driving it. Turns out that the O2-ODAC is actually perfectly fine for driving the Alpha Dogs as the pair I have on hand have the bass pretty much neutral and extend as far down as I can hear. Everything else in the FR seems to be more or less the same to my ears.

Absolutely wonderful product here. Probably the only headphone I've heard so far, other than the HD800 and SR-009, to utterly impress me within the first 5 seconds of listening. Now to see how long before reality kicks in and I begin to pick up on any flaws in the sound.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #6,840 of 9,071
Should received direct from MrSpeaker my Alpha dog this week. Ordered them last week.

QUESTION: does all new Alpha Dog are shipped  with the BMF dot installed ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back