Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Feb 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #121 of 877
Been listening on these at the office, they're pretty nice. The detail retrieval isn't where I'd like it to be, but I can't complain for the price. They are very pleasant sounding, no glaring flaws across the entire frequency range to me.

The cable it came with is kind of short for me, anybody have recommendations for a longer cable?

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #122 of 877
The detail retrieval isn't where I'd like it to be, but I can't complain for the price.

Yeah, I imagine that they aren't quite up to TOTL earphone levels. That said, if you listen to more modern genres of music and have to put up with the way stuff is mastered in this day and age, this can actually be an advantage. :wink: (Speaking from personal experience here, lol.)

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #123 of 877
I just received my pair a few days ago, and am pleased with these iem's so far. The build quality is very nice, and fit/comfort is down right fantastic with the right tip (I'm using the smallest sized spin-fit tip). The iem almost "disappears" after about 10 minutes of listening, and it's actually more comfortable than the CIEM's I have because I can move my jaw, and smile while wearing them without discomfort. Go figure. These will be great for traveling and long flights.

Regarding sound quality... I haven't spent enough time with it to make any definitive claims, but I think that people will feel they got a good deal for what they paid for. I have them paired with an AK70 MKII using the optional 2.5mm trrs balanced cable. The sound is nicely balanced, resolution is pleasantly surprising, treble is crisp and airy, but the mid-bass can get slightly grainy & flabby when pushed hard with some songs. Overall I think it is a very solid offering in the $300 range. It's not TOTL material, but it's about 80-85% there; and they hit it out of the park on the comfort side.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #124 of 877
I've been listening to mine at the office and at home for the past few days. These are the real deal.

The 3KHz diffuse field bump of the Plus immediately reminds me of the clarity of my PFE that I missed so much. Both are tuned similarly to the ER4. Bass reaches low with no bloat. Mids are lifelike. Treble... I don't think I've ever heard treble quite this resolving in timbre.

Compared to the Pinnacle PX, bass from the Plus hits harder and lower, and has a more linear presentation with no mid-bass emphasis. The PX is hotter in treble but also less resolving in timbre.

Compared to the IM02, the Plus is in a whole other class when it comes to upper-mid timbre. The IM02 has good technical ability but things just don't sound quite right on them.

Compared to the QC35, the Plus presents less bass at my normal listening levels. (Over Bluetooth, the QC35 increases sub-bass response at lower playback levels to compensate for equal loudness curves) The Plus also presents a sharper stereo image.

I'd say the biggest strengths of the Plus are:
  • Tonal balance, which is spot on.
  • Treble timbre resolution, meaning no weird resonant peaks.
  • Sharp stereo image, which makes for fun critical listening sessions.
  • Supreme comfort, with a form derived from anatomy and a flush fit. I could have these in all day.
A few drawbacks:
  • Treble could be a tad airier. Not a big deal after listening for a few minutes.
  • Very sensitive to source. Bass below 200Hz goes up with source impedance. Whether (and how much) this is a good thing depends on your taste. At least, source impedance does not produce harsh or peaky sound like with many other multi-BA IEMs. Personally, I'm shopping for a source with < 1Ohm output impedance to pair with this.
Yeah, these are going to be my last pair of headphones. For a while. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #126 of 877
I think I just missed the drop, any ideas on when they'll be on massdrop again?

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #127 of 877
Bought these used today. Have anybody tried Plus with Spiral dots or Symbio W tips?
I love ML Spiral Dots on mine...

I think I just missed the drop, any ideas on when they'll be on massdrop again?
Pretty soon...can't say exactly when yet but please stay tuned. We should have some available. :ksc75smile:

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #128 of 877
Thanks for that, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #129 of 877
Bought these used today. Have anybody tried Plus with Spiral dots or Symbio W tips?

It's a wide nozzle so Spiral Dots fit well, I'm currently using the MS size.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #130 of 877
Ok, so I received mine two days ago - I put on the mid-sized eartips (which is my usual size), listened for 10 minutes and feeling a bit underwhelmed. It was good, but not up to my expectation. Then I realize the fit is not as snug as it can be - I do get a full seal but the earpiece is sitting loosely, mainly because the mid-sized eartips give a shallower fit and the earpieces do protrude a little more. At a whim, I decided to switch to smallest eartips that allow the earpieces to go deeper and feel more like a custom, then everything seems to fall into the right place. This IEM demands a deep fit, much like the Etymotic ER4, before it will shine. Now I am happy.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #131 of 877
I love ML Spiral Dots on mine...

Pretty soon...can't say exactly when yet but please stay tuned. We should have some available. :ksc75smile:
I'm still holding out for when Massdrop offers a custom variant (well than and I'm about to become unemployed for a bit)

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #132 of 877
Oh, just received mine, but sadly it's way too sensitive for my gears, and I can't stand the background noise.
Otherwise, the sound signature is correct enough to call this iem as a reference, and the fitting is decent.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #133 of 877
This IEM demands a deep fit, much like the Etymotic ER4, before it will shine. Now I am happy.

I am using smaller than normal size too- shallow ears, so I can't get deeper but I can at least get the nozzle closer & it's not too uncomfortable.
Not too taken with the signature yet, but also find it hard to fault- guess I will give a few weeks before coming to any conclusion.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #135 of 877

Users who are viewing this thread

Back