1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. shotgunshane Contributor
    Some really good information in the impressions rolling in. Here are some helpful tips:

- if you hear flabby bass or too boosted mid bass, you are feeding it too high of an output impedance output. Try a low impedance (under 1 ohm) source, to hear the bass as designed. It’s deep/sub bass titled. Even 2 ohm sources impact this.
    - if you hear grain or slightly harsh highs, try for deeper fit. The treble was tuned for near reference plane fit. Try a smaller size tip than normal to fit deeper or try dual and triple flange tips. Deeper fit will produce a smoother treble but maintain plenty of sparkle.
    - with proper depth of fit and a low output impedance source, the Plus should sound like a slightly warmer but clearer, more resolving and full bodied ER4XR.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. cn11
    I suppose I've been more fortunate regarding fit, and success in use with these... When I received my pair, immediately after opening, I put on some UE900 replacement single flange tips (which are reliably the best sounding/ fitting tip for just about every IEM I've had lately), and got a perfect fit from the very start. My first impression was of how it fit me ideally, like no other IEM I've used. Because of that, I believe I've been hearing the best this IEM has to offer from the get-go as well. I've been pretty amazed from day 1.

3. ClieOS Contributor
    Agreed. That's my conclusion as well.

That being said, the Plus will surely make for a great CIEM.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    FlySweep and shotgunshane like this.
  4. Valens7
    Got a Plus in the mail today. Massdrop nailed it. :ok_hand:Sensational sound, outstanding fit. Deep-ish insertion with the double-flange tips running out of the ZX2 sounds about perfect to me, as I prefer a slightly darker tonality.

5. rschoi75
    You're right about this. I started messing around with the balanced and unbalanced cables I have, and it seems to confirm what you're saying. The output impedance on the balanced out on my AK70 mkII is 3ohm. The bass can sound flabby if pushed too hard. The unbalanced out of the AK70 mkII is 1.5ohm. The bass from the unbalanced out is tighter and more controlled, but still can get slightly loose if pushed hard.

6. KowalskiFUT
    Got mine today. Tried them on iPhone 7 with dongle. They are very clear and detailed. Need couple of days before final judgement, but I can say right now that these punch above their price. I need to try them with my Mojo and throw some hi res tracks on them, but perhaps they can only sound better that way.

cardeli22 likes this.
  7. robervaul
  8. bunkbail
    The drop has started again, though I have a doubt on the estimated shipping date which is on the 1st of March. That can't be right?

9. Raketen
    Seems plausible, they probably ordered enough parts along with the first production run to start assembling the second run (or continuously) as soon as they were done shipping.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    cardeli22 likes this.
  10. liquidrats
    Worth the drop? I have XR already and now the king pro. My preference towards mid n treble energy with a neutral lower freq .

11. shotgunshane Contributor
    Worth is a loaded question. For me, the Plus is the direct upgrade to the XR. Getting proper depth of fit and low (under 1) output impedance is key. Otherwise you may disagree.

12. SciOC
    Hmmmm. I get my hiby r6 next week but it has high output impedance. These seem like they'd possibly be a bad match, especially in balanced, but can anyone compare these to the ibasso it04? These seem to be two of the more intriguing new sets coming out around this price range. From the sounds of it these are a bit cheaper.

13. JohannLiebert
    Damm I hope they are worth it. Screw this impulse buying habit.
    I don‘t want to use my PP8 outdoors anymore which are my only IEMs right now. The Plus will compete with the ATH-LS200 which is arriving my home next week.

cardeli22 likes this.
  14. Raketen
    They are pretty different sounding in my memory. Sold mine, but IIRC personally prefer LS200 overall signature (and fit). So if you particularly like ls200 I wouldn't necessarily consider Plus an upgrade, however, I think Plus can reasonably be considered a 'better' IEM on technical merits.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    JohannLiebert likes this.
  15. bunkbail
    Any impressions of these driven on Mojo? I read that the Plus is quite picky with amp that have high output impedance and considering that Mojo has very low output impedance (~0.2 ohm), I'm curious of the synergy between these two.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last