Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 5, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #44,476 of 48,562
Did that already, but you seem to forget I am NOT using Realtek, but the Creative G6. That unit doesn't have a Windows tab for Digital out, despite being supported. I'll probably have to wait for Creative to release the updated Command software and drivers. Beta in June.
Oops,Creative G6,

May 5, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #44,477 of 48,562
Oops,Creative G6,
I did some further testing, and I decided to check a few things. After removing the software, and just loading MS drivers for the device, when using SPDIF-Out, the device only exposes 48KHz. I suspect the device will only do that, unless they open it up in the upcoming Command update. (Which I doubt) I am quite sad, since I bought the G6 expecting to use it as a dedicated Virtualizer. :triportsad: But all is not so dismal...

I invested in a Crosshair VIII Hero mobo from Asus, which includes their Sonic Studio III software suite, which is capable of doing 7.1 VRR. (Getting it config'd for Windows Games is another concern.) One nice feature of the software is that you can enable it on other audio devices, and not just the Realtek device on the motherboard. So I attached my M300 DAC via USB, and connected the SS III software to it. viola! I also have licenses for Dolby Access / DTS:X for Windows 10, and can experiment with all three solutions. I also understand that I can get the SBX software as a stand alone from Creative for $30. :p There's also HeSuVi, but I have an aversion for that software.

From my tests with 5.1 audio tracks that abuse panning across Left - Center- Right channels, like say Metallica's "Enter Sandman" DVD-A version, I can get a "proper" 5.1 effect with the Sonic Studio III. It's also 3 AM, so I should pick up on this in the morning. The nice thing with SS III is that it works with higher resolution audio without resampling, much like SBX, so I am leaning towards this as my solution. Dolby/DTS:X forces 16/48, which is fine for movies and gaming, but will resample my 24/96 audio.

It's also nice to see the Hi-Res Audio logo pop up on the DAC's display finally. :beyersmile:

May 5, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #44,480 of 48,562
Amp as well, don't have either so far. :) Just realtek audio in pc and a gaming headset, so going onto the next step. :)

After some more reading I think the AE-5 is what I'll go for along with the K702's. There's the Zx but that is older gen i think (even though my friend likes the control knob :wink: ).

My main game atm is Hunt Showdown and when loading you get a screen saying it's best experienced with headphone for full binaural 3d audio. Some comments on this thread talk about it's audio

https://steamcommunity.com/app/594650/discussions/4/3220528325734292178/

So I should turn surround off for that game?

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #44,481 of 48,562
Amp as well, don't have either so far. :) Just realtek audio in pc and a gaming headset, so going onto the next step. :)

After some more reading I think the AE-5 is what I'll go for along with the K702's. There's the Zx but that is older gen i think (even though my friend likes the control knob :wink: ).

My main game atm is Hunt Showdown and when loading you get a screen saying it's best experienced with headphone for full binaural 3d audio. Some comments on this thread talk about it's audio

https://steamcommunity.com/app/594650/discussions/4/3220528325734292178/

So I should turn surround off for that game?
yes. In most cases, you want to use virtual 7.1, but this game is an exception since it already outputs virtual surround sound natively.

May 5, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #44,483 of 48,562
Hello All,
I'm looking to get back into competing at games. I play on the ps4. I did alot of GBs from call of duty to socom. Beginning years of competitive gaming I used Tritton, turtle beach and after glow. My favorite gaming headset is the px4 from turtle beach. This year alone I have ran through a number of headsets based on reviews and streams. They all sound like trash to me. I have bought everything from the turtle beach pro 2 to the hyperx cloud orbit s. I had the arctis pro+ game dac, arctis pro wireless, turtle beach pro 2, hyperx cloud, hyperx cloud orbit s, sony gold... etc. I currently use the platinums. The ps4 does not allow for gaming headphones to be utilized to there full potential. Anybody in a similar boat?

May 5, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #44,484 of 48,562
Thanks @mindbomb . Think the ae5 is a good pick then?
In terms of hardware solutions, I think the sennheiser gsx series looks the best. Well written instructions and intuitive controls. The ae5 looked like it had good audio performance, but they shot themselves in the foot by only having 5.1 surround sound support, and the software is relatively hard to use and there are no instructions. On the Creative side of things, I actually think the super xfi amp looks good.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #44,485 of 48,562
Hello All,
I'm looking to get back into competing at games. I play on the ps4. I did a lot of GBs from call of duty to socom. Beginning years of competitive gaming I used Tritton, turtle beach and after glow. My favorite gaming headset is the px4 from turtle beach. This year alone I have ran through a number of headsets based on reviews and streams. They all sound like trash to me. I have bought everything from the turtle beach pro 2 to the hyperx cloud orbit s. I had the arctis pro+ game dac, arctis pro wireless, turtle beach pro 2, hyperx cloud, hyperx cloud orbit s, sony gold... etc. I currently use the platinums. The ps4 does not allow for gaming headphones to be utilized to there full potential. Anybody in a similar boat?
What exactly are you asking a question about?
What are you trying to solve?

May 5, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #44,487 of 48,562
I'm trying to get into open back headphones because the gaming headsets suck. I don't know what direction to take as in headphones, amp, dac. It's all new to me. Unsure as to what works and doesn't work with the ps4.
For a PS4, check the Sound BlasterX G5 or G6.
Budget for audio upgrade?

May 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #44,489 of 48,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back