Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 3, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #44,461 of 48,562
Hello, guys! I have a Sennheiser HD 598 which I use with a Sennheiser GSX 1000 for offline games and casual multiplayer games.

I thinking about upgrading it to a HD 599 or HD 58x, because the ammount that I'll have to spend after selling my HD598 are basicaly the same for both ($50,00).

Do you think that the "effort" of announce my HD 598, find a buyer, go to a post office worth the upgrade or they're all basicaly the same? I'm asking that considering the review on rtings:

xyOJhUH.png

One thing that make me worry about the 58X was the comfort, some people say the they're not so comfort as the 598 and 599 because they're tight on the head, so can get uncomfortable for people with larger heads.

If you have another suggestion, I'm open to it! I just have to see if they're available in my country. I looked the Philips Fidelio X2HR but they're too expensive here.

Thanks!

May 3, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #44,462 of 48,562
Hello, guys! I have a Sennheiser HD 598 which I use with a Sennheiser GSX 1000 for offline games and casual multiplayer games.
I thinking about upgrading it to a HD 599 or HD 58x, because the amount that I'll have to spend after selling my HD598 are basically the same for both ($50,00).
Do you think that the "effort" of announce my HD 598, find a buyer, go to a post office worth the upgrade or they're all basically the same? I'm asking that considering the review on rtings:
One thing that make me worry about the 58X was the comfort, some people say the they're not so comfort as the 598 and 599 because they're tight on the head, so can get uncomfortable for people with larger heads.
If you have another suggestion, I'm open to it! I just have to see if they're available in my country. I looked the Philips Fidelio X2HR but they're too expensive here. Thanks!
I would not think of swapping out the HD598, for the HD599.

May 3, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #44,463 of 48,562
I would not think of swapping out the HD598, for the HD599.

Which model you think worth the upgrade, exclusively for offline or casual online games?

May 3, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #44,464 of 48,562
Which model you think worth the upgrade, exclusively for offline or casual online games?
I wear my HD58X headphones everyday.
To me the HD598 is something I would use for gaming or watching internet videos (mellow longterm listening)
Maybe get the Soundmagic HP200 open headphones for lively music and movies (maybe even use sometimes for gaming)

May 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #44,465 of 48,562
I'm not seeing any worthwhile advantages of replacing the SB-ZxR, with the EVGA Nu.
I'm guessing the seller is trying to unload their stock of EVGA Nu sound cards, that why it's selling for only the extra 50 GBP (guessing).
I would say to get something like a JDS Atom or Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, connect it to the SB-ZxR's line-output, those amps would be good for driving low Ohm (20-Ohm LCD-GX) headphones.
But using that type of connection will bypass the SB-ZxR's SBX Headphone surround sound, which does not matter for music audio or any other stereo audio.

If I was willing to invest anymore in a headphone amp beyond the Magni, would I see any benefit? Is there anything you would recommend?

I'm also trying to understand the difference between the Magni 3+ and the Heresy, what would I notice between the two?

May 4, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #44,466 of 48,562
the x2 are amazing in edm i am testing them now

very good deep bass,, all very good ,,, i dont have words to say for the x2

the edm is very nice and clear///

in edm the soundstage are amazing,, the vocals are perfect...

thanks mad last evny i love you so much i love all the people in head fi..

maD LAST ENVY I LOVE SO MUCH..

THE EDM WITH X2 IS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE MUST ME AS EDM MUSIC..

VERY CLEAR,., WARM,, BASS AND EVERYTHING,,,

[mod merged multiple posts]

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #44,467 of 48,562
If I was willing to invest anymore in a headphone amp beyond the Magni, would I see any benefit? Is there anything you would recommend?
I'm also trying to understand the difference between the Magni 3+ and the Heresy, what would I notice between the two?
Magni 3 should be good enough.

May 4, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #44,468 of 48,562
Question: has anyone managed to get the G6 to output above 48KHz on the SPDIF-Out toslink? I have a cable here that I am using off my motherboard's sound optical that is able to output 24/96 just fine, but I cannot get the G6 to do it. Protips appreciated.

May 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #44,469 of 48,562
Question: has anyone managed to get the G6 to output above 48KHz on the SPDIF-Out toslink? I have a cable here that I am using off my motherboard's sound optical that is able to output 24/96 just fine, but I cannot get the G6 to do it. Protips appreciated.
To pass more then 2 channels of digital audio (PCM) thru S/PDIF optical (or coaxial), encoding (compression) is used, the encoding is limited to 24-bit/48K max.
So to pass higher then 24-bit/48K, only feed 2-channel of audio to the G6 and make sure the G6 software has it's encoded disabled.
Software like DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect is used to encode the audio channels, so make sure those are not enabled.

May 4, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #44,470 of 48,562
Not had any replies yet to my reply above but I have decided on the 702's. 😁

What's best amp/dac wise? I've seen the soundblaster ae5 or x3 mentioned as well as things like the fiio 10k.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #44,471 of 48,562
Not had any replies yet to my reply above but I have decided on the 702's. 😁
What's best amp/dac wise? I've seen the soundblaster ae5 or x3 mentioned as well as things like the fiio 10k.
People on this forum that offer advice are doing it for zero money (I'm guessing) and those people may not want to a lot of spend reading a large post.
With long posts the questions can get convoluted, so you have to read the same long post again, to make sure you have fully understood what is being asked.
I suffer from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder), so I might have to reread a long post more than twice to understand what is being asked.
And I'm just not going to waste time rereading a long post, several times, for something I get zero compensation for. But that's just me.
I would suggest getting the Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card.
AKG 700 series headphone are somewhat power hungry and the AE-5 should offer the most power (voltage) from what you have listed.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #44,472 of 48,562
To pass more then 2 channels of digital audio (PCM) thru S/PDIF optical (or coaxial), encoding (compression) is used, the encoding is limited to 24-bit/48K max.
So to pass higher then 24-bit/48K, only feed 2-channel of audio to the G6 and make sure the G6 software has it's encoded disabled.
Software like DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect is used to encode the audio channels, so make sure those are not enabled.
Thx for the info. However, SPDIF specs have expanded, and are no longer limited to 48KHz PCM. I was just doing 24/96 PCM stereo from my motherboard's toslink to my DAC. It even comes close to resolving 24/192, but it's spotty. I would need a better quality cable, but at least the DAC recognizes it as 192KHz. The G6 also doesn't support DD Live encoding natively, so no, that's not enabled.

I tried limiting to 2.0 PCM, with Windows Audio set to 24/96, but nope.. only get 48KHz. Even if set to Direct SPDIF-Out. What's amusing is that the help for Connect 2 says the SPDIF-Out via Toslink supports up to 24/96. So I will forward this to Customer Support. Maybe this is a bug that is fixed in the upcoming Command release.

May 4, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #44,473 of 48,562
Thx for the info. However, SPDIF specs have expanded, and are no longer limited to 48KHz PCM. I was just doing 24/96 PCM stereo from my motherboard's toslink to my DAC. It even comes close to resolving 24/192, but it's spotty. I would need a better quality cable, but at least the DAC recognizes it as 192KHz. The G6 also doesn't support DD Live encoding natively, so no, that's not enabled.

I tried limiting to 2.0 PCM, with Windows Audio set to 24/96, but nope.. only get 48KHz. Even if set to Direct SPDIF-Out. What's amusing is that the help for Connect 2 says the SPDIF-Out via Toslink supports up to 24/96. So I will forward this to Customer Support. Maybe this is a bug that is fixed in the upcoming Command release.
What type of digital audio (music, movies disks, internet videos/movies or other) are you trying to send thru S/PDIF optical?

Go to Windows control panel > Sound section > Playback tab.
Select (highligh) the Realtek Digital Output, go to (right click) properties and select the Support Formats tab, make sure all the Sample Rates are checked (enabled)

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #44,474 of 48,562
What type of digital audio (music, movies disks, internet videos/movies or other) are you trying to send thru S/PDIF optical?

Go to Windows control panel > Sound section > Playback tab.
Select (highligh) the Realtek Digital Output, go to (right click) properties and select the Support Formats tab, make sure all the Sample Rates are checked (enabled)
Did that already, but you seem to forget I am NOT using Realtek, but the Creative G6. That unit doesn't have a Windows tab for Digital out, despite being supported. I'll probably have to wait for Creative to release the updated Command software and drivers. Beta in June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back