Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #17,792 of 48,583
They're no longer making any more plasmas after next month

Yeah, the slow death of plasma TVs is increasingly painful for me. I wish when I worked at Magnolia that I had the pay to afford the Pioneer Elite that we sold. I did get the top of the line Panasonic back then and it's still treating me well. Hopefully it'll last me into the coming of the affordable OLED displays. LCD still isn't up to snuff for me. We have one in the bedroom and it's nowhere near as natural in color as the plasma. And gaming on an LCD? Ha. No thanks.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #17,793 of 48,583
Just wondering if there is anywhere official to buy replacement pads for the annies? like is there an official AKG store or am I stuck finding second hand ones?

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #17,794 of 48,583
That's a shame that plasmas are dieing off. 

I've almost bought one last time I went through a TV upgrade, but I couldn't find any under 50" that were also 1080p.  Now I see Panasonic finally came out with a 42" S60 with 1080p which would have worked, but it's too late as they're all gone now. 
frown.gif

Quote:
With my shift towards that, I will probably only support the TV with a set of speakers or a soundbar in the later future, since I haven't been using my headphones lately, instead just using the built in TV speakers.

Yuck.

I won't play an immersive single player game on TV speakers as I'm losing half the experience.  It's like playing a game at SD resolution.  I'll wait until I can play it on surround + headphones.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #17,795 of 48,583
  LCD still isn't up to snuff for me. We have one in the bedroom and it's nowhere near as natural in color as the plasma. And gaming on an LCD? Ha. No thanks.

My LCD is pretty good.  I did research and got a fat one that doesn't use edge lighting so at least it has a more uniform black without flashlighting. 

Stil, LCD tech has a host of problems with motion and uniformity & black levels (both issues thanks to the backlighting).

Hopefully the next best tech (still OLED?) will start getting it's act together.

Alternatives for the astro mixamp, I will have a hard time looking for it locally?

They're on the front page.

Just wondering if there is anywhere official to buy replacement pads for the annies? like is there an official AKG store or am I stuck finding second hand ones?

Yes, you order them from AKG spare parts department.
Spare parts
Frank Rodriguez frodrigu@harman.com 
Phone:  +1 818 920-3279

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #17,796 of 48,583
Thanks!

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #17,797 of 48,583
Stil, LCD tech has a host of problems with motion and uniformity & black levels (both issues thanks to the backlighting).

I had actually bought the Samsung F6300 LED set (I wanted a lighter, smaller set than the ST30 I sold), and brought it home. If you turn on the blur reduction to 10 (with judder at 0), you get motion that actually equals what plasmas do. The problem is, it introduces SO MUCH FRIGGIN input lag, that games are absolutely unplayable with those processings turned on. Once you turn on Game Mode, the input lag is VERY good, but then motion looks like absolute crap. the bland image quality was a turn off, so I ended up returning it two days later.

So I decided to look at the state of plasmas, and noticed that Panasonic was bowing out earlier than anticipated, so it pushed me to take the plunge before they were out of stock everywhere. I had nothing but a great experience with the ST30, I knew the Vt60 was the way to go. I would've bought the S60, but the lack of proper true 1080p/24 playback was a dealbreaker for me. Then I saw the ST60 which looked like the sweet spot for price and performance, but then I saw the atrocious input lag numbers, and it turned me off. The next one up was the VT60 which was comparable to their flagship in PQ, and had good input lag numbers (I don't notice the lag when in Game Mode).

With plasmas, you never have to worry about motion blur being atrocious. The VT60 is good without any extra processing, and perfect with just simple nudge of smoothing. The VT60 has a weak smoothing option, that enhances motion resolution to max, and doesn't add noticeable smoothing, until you set it to middle, or strong. Needless to say, I went to the Magnolia section, and ordered on the spot (helps that at the time of purchase, Best Buy had the best price, even compared to Amazon.)

I can't stand the glow of the blacks LEDs have, and their terrible off angle black level performance. Plasmas are so much better in this. The VT60 has amaaaaaazing blacks. Actually the Vt60 and ZT60 are the only two TVs to ever beat the Kuros TVs. I guess Panasonic's plasma division went out with a bang. The ONLY display to beat the VT60 and ZT60 in blacks is the Pioneer KRP-500m MONITOR. HDTV-wise, the VT60 and ZT60 are where it's at, with the ZT60 being a smidge better in bright rooms, and both being equal in light controlled rooms. Considering how well the VT60 does in bright rooms already, I don't see a reason to own the ZT60. It has inferior built in speakers, a lack of camera, and costs a hefty premium... you get less for more money.

The VT60 and ZT60 are probably gonna reign supreme until OLEDs start becoming affordable. Unless Samsung's last possible plasmas beat the VT and ZT60, nothing will stack up until OLED. LG has never been a true contender in plasmas (or any display type).

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #17,798 of 48,583
I see there a still a few straggler 42" S60s at Sears for "local" pickup.  I see some "new-in-box" ones for ~$350, which I would totally jump on if they're as good as the reviews.  The S60 is supposed to have lower input lag than the ST60, and the main picture quality con is that it sucks for daylight viewing (no anti-glare), but I do all my serious viewing at night so I wouldn't care.

Sucks that it's only local pick-up.  The closest one is 4 hours away. 

Hmm...

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #17,801 of 48,583
I have a Sony HX-800 Edge LED, with a deep black panel.
Gotta say it compares quite well with my Panasonic plasma...
Not to mention plasmas start to hurt my eyes after some time x/

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #17,802 of 48,583
  @Change is Good

Could you please do a comparison among Shure SRH 1540, Mad Dog 3.2 and the Sony MA900 please. I want to buy a new headphone to replace my HD598 and I am confused of choosing which can. I would like to add an Alpha Dog in consideration too but the long list 6 weeks and few more weeks of waiting to ship to my country really turn me down, additionally Alpha Dogs require poweful ampss but I only have a C421 and do not want to upgrade my amp yet, moreover I want to stay as portable as possible because I work, sleep, listen to music in every place in my house.

Thanks.

I only had the MA900 for a couple days on loan, so a comparison would not be accurate at all.

I will post thorough details between the 1540 and MD as soon as I get a chance. I just had a college algebra exam I had to prepare for and another biology exam on Monday. Also, I am behind on preparing my speech that is also due next week. Then there's finals coming up... so please be patient, my friend...

It won't be an A/B comparison, however, because I sold the MDs to help fund the 1540. Which, I may add, was worth every penny to me...
cool.gif

For now, I can say the 1540 extends much lower than the MD and has a slightly wider soundstage. It's midrange and treble, though not recessed, is more linear but isn't overshadowed by the bass. Man... that bass, though!
basshead.gif
! It's like a refined X1 kind of bass that can be played at high volumes... with no recession in the midrange at all (which was my only complaint of the X1).

I agree with gelocks' perception in the 1540 thread that these are a technically superior SRH840 with a boosted low end.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #17,803 of 48,583
Yeah, the slow death of plasma TVs is increasingly painful for me. I wish when I worked at Magnolia that I had the pay to afford the Pioneer Elite that we sold. I did get the top of the line Panasonic back then and it's still treating me well. Hopefully it'll last me into the coming of the affordable OLED displays. LCD still isn't up to snuff for me. We have one in the bedroom and it's nowhere near as natural in color as the plasma. And gaming on an LCD? Ha. No thanks.

I'm still in love with my Pioneer plasma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back