Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #17,716 of 48,562
@Feg, nice write-up. I knew that MMX 300 was based on the DT770 LE and tuned for gaming - it's good to hear some praise of it's qualities. Beyer's PR guys really didn't get the message out that it was most certainly not just a plain old 770 with a microphone; as that's all I heard from the forums etc when I was researching this headset.

Did you get a chance to check out the microphone's quality, or the what was the owners thoughts on it? I think this new version was meant to be improved over the older model. Was it the 32 Ohm or 600 version?

Shame MLE didn't get a chance to review it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #17,717 of 48,562
  I'd personally save up the extra cash for the Antlion modmic if you want a full-sized microphone, as it's not permanent, and easier to attach/detach.
11.gif

where do you get one ? on their website it says sold out, and its unavailable on amazon and ebay, and i am pretty sure this is much better and more practical than the zulman clip on mic which is 30$ dollars now.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #17,718 of 48,562
@Feg, nice write-up. I knew that MMX 300 was based on the DT770 LE and tuned for gaming - it's good to hear some praise of it's qualities. Beyer's PR guys really didn't get the message out that it was most certainly not just a plain old 770 with a microphone; as that's all I heard from the forums etc when I was researching this headset.

Did you get a chance to check out the microphone's quality, or the what was the owners thoughts on it? I think this new version was meant to be improved over the older model. Was it the 32 Ohm or 600 version?

Shame MLE didn't get a chance to review it.

The problem with the MMX300 is that the older MMX300s were inconsistent and basically WERE basically premium 32ohm DT770s. Some were bass heavy, some were balanced. Judging by what you guys are saying, the MMX300 you've listened to was like the latter.

DT770s... you never know what you're gonna get. That's why I swore off the 770s.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #17,719 of 48,562

Yeah, Myst was also part of the push. It and 7th Guest were the killer apps for CD-ROM at the time. 7th Guest came out first, a few months before Myst I believe, but they were both big sellers.

Just started following this thread and still trying to absorb all the great info.  This is a bit off-topic, but for the fellow Myst fans out there, you may be interested in this:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction  Just an FYI, thanks.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #17,721 of 48,562
Oct 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #17,722 of 48,562
Just started following this thread and still trying to absorb all the great info.  This is a bit off-topic, but for the fellow Myst fans out there, you may be interested in this:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction  Just an FYI, thanks.

Oooh. OOOOH!

I sense a 1540 in Change's future.

What is this "1540" you speak of, anyway?

I am still hoping you make this video and haven't forgot about me :D

Haven't forgotten about you... Guess I gotta apologize, I was torn between making this (and figuring out how to prop up my phone to use as camera/mic) and playing Batman... Batman kinda won out, good news is I got stuck on a Riddler challenge last night :wink:

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #17,723 of 48,562
Oct 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #17,724 of 48,562
I understand that feeling on "burning out" on headphones, all right.

Two years ago, Head-Fi was a new frontier, full of the unknown, with plenty to learn. Now, I know more or less what I want out of a headphone with my first-hand experience, and the MA900 gets me most of the way there with a little EQ to bring out the treble.

As for Mad Lust Envy's willingness to review more headphones...well, I did make an offer earlier, but the cost of shipping such expensive equipment (mainly the amp) proved to be an issue, along with financial matters on my end necessitating an early sale of said equipment and the fact that it's vintage gear that's been discontinued for a decade or two. Now he'll have to ask a certain someone else to audition that stuff.

About all I have to offer now would be an old Sansui SS-20, which isn't bad in sound quality but lacks soundstage and weighs A LOT (seriously, if you're complaining about the weight of the HE-400, that weighs NOTHING next to this thing) and the GE H-22, the unquestionably worst headphone ever whose only purpose is to give you new-found appreciation for everything else you've ever heard.

Right now, my current pursuit is Haswell overclocking...too bad my particular i5-4670K sucks.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #17,725 of 48,562
  I understand that feeling on "burning out" on headphones, all right.

Two years ago, Head-Fi was a new frontier, full of the unknown, with plenty to learn. Now, I know more or less what I want out of a headphone with my first-hand experience, and the MA900 gets me most of the way there with a little EQ to bring out the treble.

As for Mad Lust Envy's willingness to review more headphones...well, I did make an offer earlier, but the cost of shipping such expensive equipment (mainly the amp) proved to be an issue, along with financial matters on my end necessitating an early sale of said equipment and the fact that it's vintage gear that's been discontinued for a decade or two. Now he'll have to ask a certain someone else to audition that stuff.

About all I have to offer now would be an old Sansui SS-20, which isn't bad in sound quality but lacks soundstage and weighs A LOT (seriously, if you're complaining about the weight of the HE-400, that weighs NOTHING next to this thing) and the GE H-22, the unquestionably worst headphone ever whose only purpose is to give you new-found appreciation for everything else you've ever heard.

Right now, my current pursuit is Haswell overclocking...too bad my particular i5-4670K sucks.

That cpu sux? I'm planning to build pc with that cpu...
Can you advice me between i7 3770k or i5 4670k, mainly for gaming and work (email and office only)? I will use the gtx770 and mainly gaming on 1080p single monitor.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #17,726 of 48,562
That cpu sux? I'm planning to build pc with that cpu... Can you advice me between i7 3770k or i5 4670k, mainly for gaming and work (email and office only)? I will use the gtx770 and mainly gaming on 1080p single monitor.

When I say it sucked, I meant my particular sample, specifically from an overclocking standpoint. Most people can push these things to 4.6 GHz with less voltage than I need to hit 4.4 GHz, going by my initial experiments.

It would walk all over my Q6600 at stock clocks for sure, and I'd definitely recommend it for new builds. It's just that overclocking results are a crapshoot; it's a chip lottery, as they say.

That said, I still have to learn how to overclock this thing properly. Overclocking Haswell CPUs is more of a challenge not just because of the architecture and manufacturing variances, but because they integrated a voltage regulator into the CPU itself. That means more voltages to work with besides the usual Vcore. It's not helped by people calling the same damn voltage adjustments all sorts of different names.

I'd still recommend Haswell over Ivy Bridge if you're not on an extremely tight budget, since it's a more modern platform with more features courtesy of the Z87 chipset and newer instruction sets that future programs will certainly utilize, and it also performs better at the same clock speed. The IPC improvments are modest enough compared to Ivy Bridge and even Sandy Bridge that most people who own those CPUs don't feel the need to upgrade, but we're talking about a brand new build here.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #17,727 of 48,562
This is my first ever pc build, and I need as much advice as possible. All hardware sites said for gaming purpose, i5 is more than enough since i7 cpu didn't give much more performance for its price.
I might not even want to OC it... Later might be. My budget is around usd 1500, with 21 or 23 mon and 120gb ssd I hope.
So I5 4670k is good enough? How about the 4570k? Also, any suggestion with soundcard?

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #17,728 of 48,562
The i7's main benefit is Hyper-Threading. The vast majority of games will not utilize the 8 threads you get, but most will make good use of four threads (all with a whole physical core with the i5, since it's quad-core).

Games tend to benefit most from Intel's single-threaded performance advantage, which doesn't change much between i5 and i7, though the i7-4770K has 8 MB of L3 cache over the i5-4670K's 6 MB of L3 cache, which may make a SLIGHT difference in the i7's favor per clock. Of course, that performance advantage carries across every thread, so games that can make use of the i5's four threads really feel the boost. The i7's Hyper-Threading isn't a complete linear scaling since it's not an octo-core, but benchmarks have shown it to be a lot more than expected. The thing is, most of those benchmarks aren't for games, but video encoding apps and stuff like that.

This may change in the future; people are citing Battlefield 4 performance as a possible sign of things to come, though I have yet to see any proper charts and graphs that a serious evaluation would show.

US$1500 is a great budget to work with; you've got plenty of room there for good parts! However, the fact that you're wanting to include a new monitor in that budget will eat into your funds. The monitors I'd want are often north of $250, and the more you spend on your monitor, the less you have to spend on what you're connecting to it.

For instance, the monitor I'd recommend for someone who prioritizes gaming above all else and needs something readily available (read: not a Sony GDM-FW900 that's been discontinued for a decade) is the Asus VG248QE due to its high refresh rate and astoundingly low input lag, but that's $280 on Newegg and Amazon already, not including the price of shipping or the DIY NVIDIA G-SYNC kits that they're about to sell for it.

As for sound cards, I'm always going to favor the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (partly out of preference for CMSS-3D Headphone, still playing older games and making use of some of its more exotic features), but it cannot be denied that the Xonar Essence STX and Sound Blaster Zx have gained a lot of ground with PC gamers lately.

Also, now's a fairly good time to buy since the sales are going and NVIDIA just slashed the price of the GTX 770 down to $320-330. That's right in the price-to-performance sweet spot at the time being. You should still have enough left over for an i5-4670K and a good Z87 board, especially if you live near a Micro Center store. (Their CPU/mobo combo deals beat out everyone else's by quite a bit, even factoring in local sales tax.)

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #17,729 of 48,562
Go for the hyperthreaded cpu, be it Ivy or Hazzy. Many games take advantage of more than 4 threads already and the trend will only get more pronounced as we sail into 2014.

I'm in the process of building a new rig as well. I opted for a SB-E 3930k as it's going for not much more than a 4770k, has 2 more physical cores and 4 more threads, doesn't sufffer from the "chewing gum under the HS"-itis and is known to overclock well, on average. It's been speculated on various forums that gaming on 6 cores with HT off could be the sweet spot for at least some titles; I'm interested in finding out about it myself. :xf_eek:

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #17,730 of 48,562
Kinda dilemma for me to go for i7 or i5 route... if I go i7, my budget will be more than 1500 usd. May I remind you that I'm living in HK/China, so newegg and tiger direct is out of option. Pc parts are more expensive here than in USA.
its very stressful for itchy hand (want to go hi-end) like me
frown.gif

I hope that my budget can still be 1500usd, stretching 100usd or eliminate ssd option
frown.gif

Gpu I will go for gtx770 for sure with 8gb kingston hyperx, 16gb if possible...
Mobo Z87 Asrock or asus?
For Soundcard, I prefer for it to be less than 50usd, maybe even 30-40usd if possible, as long as it can do 7.1 and possibly with coax out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back