Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #17,731 of 48,566
  Yesterday I had the MMX 300 2013 Edition on my head for 2 hours L4D2 and half an hour MoH: WF and it's the most balanced "DT770" I ever listened to (I actually listened to all of them) the smoothest highs and a non bloated or overblown bass. Actually no overpowering bass at ALL so quite ready for competitive play.

Before the DT770 LE had the smoothest highs of all (to me) yet still with a hint of sibilance at times and the bass could sometimes be too much, still less than all other models. The MMX 300 is even better in that case as in only hitting hard when it needs to, generally more balanced along the spectrum. "Marina and the Diamonds - Shampain" is one of those tracks that exposes sibilance very very well and the MMX 300 actually passed it 100% to my surprise. The DT770 LE did not that well, the T90, Pro Ultrasones failed horribly. It has the biggest soundstage (more in width though) of all DT770s but also requires more power than the DT770 LE, TH-900.

When I checked with Beyer they mentioned a few things they changed with the dampening and housing  especially as it shares a lot with their Aviation HS-400. The comfort is good but this one has the most weight of all Beyers I encountered. Don't remember the T1 too well but it's quite noticable. 

Edit: I have the PC360 as well and it doesn't hold up well, as in less transparency and less fun in the bass, yet still good as an allrounder. 

Love my mmx's and you really hit it on the head with all of your points as to why it is such a great headset. My only gripe was the clamp force was a little to get used to, but that was cured once i got the gel ear pads. That's why I am skeptical to get the new Audio Technica headsets, because I am afraid they won't even compare to the Beyers....

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #17,732 of 48,566
and as far as i know the 2012 mmx 300 was nothing more then a different color and different cable, so it is interesting to hear that the 2013 has some tweaks done to the housing and potentially the sound of the headset. I cant seem to find any info on it anywhere tho :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #17,733 of 48,566
Quote: widdyjudas
Kinda dilemma for me to go for i7 or i5 route... if I go i7, my budget will be more than 1500 usd. May I remind you that I'm living in HK/China, so newegg and tiger direct is out of option. Pc parts are more expensive here than in USA.
its very stressful for itchy hand (want to go hi-end) like me
frown.gif

I hope that my budget can still be 1500usd, stretching 100usd or eliminate ssd option
frown.gif

Gpu I will go for gtx770 for sure with 8gb kingston hyperx, 16gb if possible...
Mobo Z87 Asrock or asus?
For Soundcard, I prefer for it to be less than 50usd, maybe even 30-40usd if possible, as long as it can do 7.1 and possibly with coax out?

Yeah, components are well expensive here in Finland as well, China is still relatively better in this sense.

Hey but how about this: Get a Haswell Xeon E3-1230v3; costwise it's similar to i5 when in fact it's the SAME cpu as as 4770 non-k, except with no igp and a touch lower stock-clocks. You still get 4 cores/8 threads AND you can save a ton by going with a cheaper motherboard (H81 and B85 boards can be had very cheaply in China). 4c/8t doesn't lose vs. overclocked 4670k on any games and beats it on those with support for more threads. Additional savings would come from not having to cough up for a heavy duty cpu-cooler, something like CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 is cheap in China and would be more than powerful enough and could be ran silently.

For RAM, I wouldn't pick Kingston HyperX as they tend to require 1.65V to run at their specced speeds and that's not good for the cpu's memory-controller. Go for 1.5V rated RAM, 8GB for gaming but if you do photo-/video-editing then more is better, naturally.

Edit: the aforementioned Xeon 1230v3 and the Ivy-generation 1230v2 are apparently very popular among Chinese gamers, "the power of i7 for the cost of i5" the slogan goes.
cool.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #17,734 of 48,566
Just got the 900X guys.
Out of the box, very, VERY impressive.
It's all I hoped for actually, I just LOVE it.
OMG I am not sure I need the HE-6 now 0_0
We'll see when the honeymoon is over, but... Awesome so far.

EDIT: Rule no.1 - never say such things. It's the new toy syndrome. Gotta let it through its paces first :]

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #17,735 of 48,566
  and as far as i know the 2012 mmx 300 was nothing more then a different color and different cable, so it is interesting to hear that the 2013 has some tweaks done to the housing and potentially the sound of the headset. I cant seem to find any info on it anywhere tho :frowning2:

I wrote with Beyerdynamic over Facebook about it. Anyway, I played a bit more of L4D2, it was nice to play for a good lengthy session again. I agree about the clamp, it's not as comfortable as the HD 800 or TH-900 unfortunately. Tonality-wise it's the perfect DT770 and I consider the DT770 LE already above all the other versions plus liking it more than DT880/DT990 as well as those are more sibilant. The DT770 line is very good already in terms of accuracy/imaging but the bass part often blew it together with sibilance. Not the case in the 2013 Edition. Changeable pads, 5 years of warranty. Verrry niiiiiice. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #17,736 of 48,566

Yeah, components are well expensive here in Finland as well, China is still relatively better in this sense.

Hey but how about this: Get a Haswell Xeon E3-1230v3; costwise it's similar to i5 when in fact it's the SAME cpu as as 4770 non-k, except with no igp and a touch lower stock-clocks. You still get 4 cores/8 threads AND you can save a ton by going with a cheaper motherboard (H81 and B85 boards can be had very cheaply in China). 4c/8t doesn't lose vs. overclocked 4670k on any games and beats it on those with support for more threads. Additional savings would come from not having to cough up for a heavy duty cpu-cooler, something like CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 is cheap in China and would be more than powerful enough and could be ran silently.

For RAM, I wouldn't pick Kingston HyperX as they tend to require 1.65V to run at their specced speeds and that's not good for the cpu's memory-controller. Go for 1.5V rated RAM, 8GB for gaming but if you do photo-/video-editing then more is better, naturally.

Edit: the aforementioned Xeon 1230v3 and the Ivy-generation 1230v2 are apparently very popular among Chinese gamers, "the power of i7 for the cost of i5" the slogan goes.
cool.gif

Xeon CPU, not thanks... I'll just go with I5, less trouble when I want to upgrade later. Yes, the evo 212 is the one I want to pair with the cpu. Any advice for a "good ram"?
Your knowledge on Chinese is quite good, are you also an expat like me?
I think Chinese people tends to use AMD cpu, since its cheaper...

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #17,737 of 48,566

Xeon CPU, not thanks... I'll just go with I5, less trouble when I want to upgrade later. Yes, the evo 212 is the one I want to pair with the cpu. Any advice for a "good ram"?
Your knowledge on Chinese is quite good, are you also an expat like me?
I think Chinese people tends to use AMD cpu, since its cheaper...

Which trouble are you referring to? That Xeon uses the same exact socket, same motherboards, same RAM... With double the threads compared to i5. Actually for Haswells, overclocking is of relatively little value since they intentionally used a very bad/cheap method of attaching the heatspreader, so unless you delid the the cpu the heat will get out of hand very quickly as you increase the vcore. I would choose 1230v3 over 4670k any day of the week for better "future-proofing" but it's your call.
cool.gif

For RAM, G.Skill RipJawsZ and RipJawsX as well as Corsair Vengeance -series have a variety of good, dependable RAM; don't pay over the odds for anything fancy, a solid 1.5V set at 1600MHz and CL9.0 is all you need; however if the price difference is minimal, going to 1866Mhz rated ones doesn't hurt (in case I manage to convince you to go for that Xeon
cool.gif
, choose 1600MHz with as tight timings as possible, as you will be running the RAM at 1600MHz anyway).

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #17,738 of 48,566

Which trouble are you referring to? That Xeon uses the same exact socket, same motherboards, same RAM... With double the threads compared to i5. Actually for Haswells, overclocking is of relatively little value since they intentionally used a very bad/cheap method of attaching the heatspreader, so unless you delid the the cpu the heat will get out of hand very quickly as you increase the vcore. I would choose 1230v3 over 4670k any day of the week for better "future-proofing" but it's your call.
cool.gif

For RAM, G.Skill RipJawsZ and RipJawsX as well as Corsair Vengeance -series have a variety of good, dependable RAM; don't pay over the odds for anything fancy, a solid 1.5V set at 1600MHz and CL9.0 is all you need; however if the price difference is minimal, going to 1866Mhz rated ones doesn't hurt (in case I manage to convince you to go for that Xeon
cool.gif
, choose 1600MHz with as tight timings as possible, as you will be running the RAM at 1600MHz anyway).

Xeon also use Z87 mobo? Sorry, don't really understand much for Xeon cpus... I dont even want to oc the cpu at first. I'll check the xeon later.
Ram I choose kingston HyperX because its the cheapest option for 8gb. I think Gskill and corsair is more expensive, but not very much. I don't want any fancy ram, since the gain is very minimal according to benchmark. I don't really understand Ram timing, can you explain tight timing?
Sorry MLE, hijacking your thread for pc consultation...
tongue.gif

I wonder if Chico agrees with the following K712 review and comparison:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9482

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #17,739 of 48,566
Actually for Haswells, overclocking is of relatively little value since they intentionally used a very bad/cheap method of attaching the heatspreader, so unless you delid the the cpu the heat will get out of hand very quickly as you increase the vcore. I would choose 1230v3 over 4670k any day of the week for better "future-proofing" but it's your call.
cool.gif

Forget the high temps; when the chip lottery screws you over so hard that you need over 1.36Vcore and over 2.05VCCIN to maintain Prime95 stability at 4.4 GHz when many people can get away with significantly less for 4.6 GHz (maybe 1.3Vcore on the higher end), voltages above 1.4Vcore and 2.1VCCIN risk killing your chip, and you've got a custom water-cooling loop that can beat the heat, I'd say it's not the temps that are truly limiting a lot of Haswell overclocks as much as it is the required voltage!

That said, do you think the extra threads with no physical cores to fully back them are going to pay off for future games? Right now, it's difficult to find games that make use of more than four threads, and they especially want fast single-threaded performance. They say Battlefield 4 is a sign of things to come, but I have yet to see any charts. I'm thinking that by the time games want more than four threads, they'll perform better on hex-cores or even octa-cores.

I won't rule out exchanging my i5-4670K for an i7-4770K instead of another i5-4670K, though. This current sample's crap, not worth delidding. I need one that'll justify owning a custom water-cooling loop and mounting the block directly to the die, taking out the middleman, just like the Pentium III/Athlon days. Such a setup demands a chip that can hit 4.6-4.8 GHz on reasonable voltages.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #17,740 of 48,566
can you continue the computer building in PM or separate thread? been going on too long now.

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #17,741 of 48,566
can you continue the computer building in PM or separate thread? been going on too long now.

This could be a home for it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627598/pc-enthusiast-fi-pc-gaming-parts-overclocking

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #17,743 of 48,566
Is this 2013 model the first proper revision of MMX-300? I've been happy with my QH-1339, I'd say it verges on neutral whereas a vanilla DT770 I demoed sounded nothing alike, that one was so boomy I thought the set was defective; apparently, that's how it's supposed to sound. If the new MMX-300 improves from QH-1339 I doooo want to give it a whirl, although I don't really use the mic -excellent as it is- too often at all and having such an expensive headset, let alone 2, could be considered somewhat unnecessary.
rolleyes.gif
 There will be a hifi expo here this coming weekend, sizeable discounts are forecast and I'm fully prepared to jump on a deal on HE-400 or HE-500.

Nameless: Having more than 4 threads = better minimum FPS already in games like Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 multiplayer, assuming you are not hugely bottlenecked by the GPU. I could post a graph but like the wise gentlemen so astutely put it, this is probably not the place. Apologies MLE!

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #17,745 of 48,566
Because MLE hasn't reviewed it yet, plain and simple.

If Crysis 3 already benefits from the extra threads, then Star Citizen will, and that's a very big reason for me to upgrade there.

Back to audio...now that I think about it, I could have bought a cheap gaming headset for under $40 just to send MLE for review. Deal's probably over now, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back