Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #17,701 of 48,562
  Not any A/B-ing, yet, but off memory I can definitely tell the MDs and the K712s both scale better with the extra power... expecially the MDs. It gives both headphones more body to their sound signatures and surprisingly has an openness to it as well. Not as large as the M-Stage, I think, but definitely larger than the iCAN on default.

I will do some definite A/B-ing with the M-Stage on Thursday and over the weekend... so I'll be back with more impressions. I'm really liking what I'm hearing, so far.

Ironically, the reason I got this amp was for the MDs... which I just sold to fund something else. It looks like I'll be keeping it, however, because I really like what it's doing to the K712 enough to justify it. I can only hope it has the same effect on what's coming next...
cool.gif

Interesting.

I still think there's way too much overlap between an M-stage and an Asgard to own both, but I guess your reasoning is that you need an amp in two different spots and can't move it?

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #17,702 of 48,562

Interesting.

I still think there's way too much overlap between an M-stage and an Asgard to own both, but I guess your reasoning is that you need an amp in two different spots and can't move it?

Yeah, gaming rig is on entertainment center and desktop rig is on, well, my very small desk lol.

I still haven't decided, yet... I'll have to compare all three for a few days before making a definite decision. iFi emailed me back and it looks like they'll be sending me a new power adaptor soon.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #17,703 of 48,562
By the way, MLE, how are you enjoying your MA900s since you got them back? We haven't heard much from you on in the thread ever since...
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #17,704 of 48,562
Super happy with my MA900s. I'm kind of getting over headphones. IF the MA900 gets to the point where I wanna swap them out, I may go for the K712 Pro and call it quits. Not because I wanna replace the MA900, but because the pads just need to be better. I'm gonna order some high or low density foam to stick onto the headband and see if that makes the minor discomfort disappear. As for the ear pads... they bother me very little once in awhile, so I MIGHT have one day where I get frsutrated enough to wanna get the K712 Pro. But honestly, I don't use headphones much anymore, other than at work.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #17,705 of 48,562
Super happy with my MA900s. I'm kind of getting over headphones. IF the MA900 gets to the point where I wanna swap them out, I may go for the K712 Pro and call it quits. Not because I wanna replace the MA900, but because the pads just need to be better. I'm gonna order some high or low density foam to stick onto the headband and see if that makes the minor discomfort disappear. As for the ear pads... they bother me very little once in awhile, so I MIGHT have one day where I get frsutrated enough to wanna get the K712 Pro. But honestly, I don't use headphones much anymore, other than at work.

Ow, I thought we used headphones all the time! ;/ :wink:

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #17,706 of 48,562

Whaaaat? You getting over headphones?!? Blasphemy! LOL

I hope you still are enthused enough to keep reviewing headphones should the opportunity present itself.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #17,707 of 48,562
Oct 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #17,708 of 48,562
Well, you've spurned on the enthusiasm of many others. I actually started getting into headphones and Hi-Fi, and then I basically got over headphones and disappeared for a while, before you started the thread, but I found this and my second coming has me more enthusiastic and spending more time (and money) on headphones than before.

I hope to be there if/when your enthusiasm rekindles, it is infectious :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #17,709 of 48,562
Well, you've spurned on the enthusiasm of many others. I actually started getting into headphones and Hi-Fi, and then I basically got over headphones and disappeared for a while, before you started the thread, but I found this and my second coming has me more enthusiastic and spending more time (and money) on headphones than before.

I hope to be there if/when your enthusiasm rekindles, it is infectious
smily_headphones1.gif

agreed. The amount of information I have retained from this thread is immeasurable. I guess once you have experienced all there is to experience, the interest tapers off. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #17,710 of 48,562
I guess once you have experienced all there is to experience, the interest tapers off. 

Very few people have experienced all there is to experience.  The next tier of gear jumps up in price though.  
frown.gif

So the fullness of the wallet (or lack thereof) may play a part.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #17,711 of 48,562
Yesterday I had the MMX 300 2013 Edition on my head for 2 hours L4D2 and half an hour MoH: WF and it's the most balanced "DT770" I ever listened to (I actually listened to all of them) the smoothest highs and a non bloated or overblown bass. Actually no overpowering bass at ALL so quite ready for competitive play.

Before the DT770 LE had the smoothest highs of all (to me) yet still with a hint of sibilance at times and the bass could sometimes be too much, still less than all other models. The MMX 300 is even better in that case as in only hitting hard when it needs to, generally more balanced along the spectrum. "Marina and the Diamonds - Shampain" is one of those tracks that exposes sibilance very very well and the MMX 300 actually passed it 100% to my surprise. The DT770 LE did not that well, the T90, Pro Ultrasones failed horribly. It has the biggest soundstage (more in width though) of all DT770s but also requires more power than the DT770 LE, TH-900.

When I checked with Beyer they mentioned a few things they changed with the dampening and housing  especially as it shares a lot with their Aviation HS-400. The comfort is good but this one has the most weight of all Beyers I encountered. Don't remember the T1 too well but it's quite noticable. 

Edit: I have the PC360 as well and it doesn't hold up well, as in less transparency and less fun in the bass, yet still good as an allrounder. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #17,712 of 48,562
The only point a person has experienced "everything there is to experience" is when they die... No more will they gain experience. Meanwhile, the mind needs new stimulus, even I get bored of video games if I play too much. Mad's got pretty satisfactory headphones (headband felt the same way to me, Mad, overall not so bad), and it has sounded like his income waxes and wains with little warning, so maybe he needs to find a new hobby. Maybe he'll pick up Kendama, or cooking, a next-gen game console, or (le gasp) put his attention towards a lady :wink:
And a couple of months or a year from now, we'll say "Hi!" and catch him up on all the new stuff. Pretty sure something will lure his interest/lust back :wink:

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #17,713 of 48,562
While all that experience is nice to have there comes a point where you realize that you should do other things more often or (if we talk about this hobby) stick to the stuff you have or want to have and live with its downsides. There's always a compromise, nothing's perfect. The lust for more in this hobby is like striving for perfection, it's just though that people put all blame and hope onto gear rather than their very own abilities to "just" enjoy and immerse. Many people suffer from short attention spans, can't put their mind into the immersion. It's a disconnection between them and the medium. The "listening to gear rather than to the music" is one of those disconnections. 

MLE should get a TH-600!

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #17,714 of 48,562
Perhaps if you gave me one, It'd jumpstart my appetite for headphones again. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back