Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,961 of 48,562
I'm really leaning towards the DT990 pro. From what I've read it seems to have everything I'm looking for and it's right at my price range, but I've heard that it needs an amp to reach its full potential. I'm not really interested in purchasing one because they seem a little expensive. Do you think, without an amp, I could still enjoy my pc gaming? Thanks.

what about the Magni amp for $100?

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #12,963 of 48,562
most likely won't be too loud and not at full potential

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #12,965 of 48,562
I just received my Astro a50 system.

There is an issue with my mic causing a buzzing sound in my right earcup... I read ALL over the forums. Tried all the troubleshooting suggested, nothing works.

Funny things is: EVERYONE that owns this headset has this buzzing problem. I tried upgrading the firmware, but it was already up to date... tried re-syncing, tried lowering mic volume in skype... tried other Chat programs, tried different connections, ports, moving the AMP everywhere around the office... nothing seems to fix it...

Would like you guys to give me some wisdom here. Here's the thing, I can return this headset system and buy another one if I like. Is there a Headset with mic system out there that performs well multi-platform without any NOISE in the ear-cups? (cause my mic or crappy hardware)

Cause I'm not into buying a headset with a seperate mic, that would defeat the sense of simplicity I'm lookin for in a Headphone+mic headset system...

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,966 of 48,562
Quote:
I just received my Astro a50 system.

There is an issue with my mic causing a buzzing sound in my right earcup... I read ALL over the forums. Tried all the troubleshooting suggested, nothing works.

Funny things is: EVERYONE that owns this headset has this buzzing problem. I tried upgrading the firmware, but it was already up to date... tried re-syncing, tried lowering mic volume in skype... tried other Chat programs, tried different connections, ports, moving the AMP everywhere around the office... nothing seems to fix it...

Would like you guys to give me some wisdom here. Here's the thing, I can return this headset system and buy another one if I like. Is there a Headset with mic system out there that performs well multi-platform without any NOISE in the ear-cups? (cause my mic or crappy hardware)

Cause I'm not into buying a headset with a seperate mic, that would defeat the sense of simplicity I'm lookin for in a Headphone+mic headset system...

I would ditch the A50s as they've overpriced with too much junk crammed in their earcups for good sound quality to co-exist.  Also I hate the idea of paying $ for a Dolby processor but then having it built into a mediocre headset with no way to separate them.

I would pick up some like new PC360s off Amazon and a mixamp instead.  The PC360s soundstage is excellent - a big improvement of the A50s soundstage.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #12,967 of 48,562
Quote:
I would pick up some like new PC360s off Amazon and a mixamp instead.  The PC360s soundstage is excellent - a big improvement of the A50s soundstage.

+1

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #12,968 of 48,562
I really don't want to pay any more than $200 for headphones + amp and the DT990s are already $200. Are these headphones something I could use without an amp or is it needed?

If your budget is $200 for everything, then the DT990 is out of your price range. There is absolutely no point in buying a headphone if you can't give it the proper power it deserves.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #12,969 of 48,562
Quote:
Hmmmm. You know what, I think I'll just go ahead and purchase the DT990s and eventually upgrade to an amp when I feel like I have the money to spend on one. Does this sound like a pretty reasonable idea or will I be disappointed? 

You will be disappointed because you will not experience the full potential of those cans

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #12,970 of 48,562
Hmmmm. You know what, I think I'll just go ahead and purchase the DT990s and eventually upgrade to an amp when I feel like I have the money to spend on one. Does this sound like a pretty reasonable idea or will I be disappointed? 

I got by with my Q701 without a dedicated headphone amp for a few months... But upgrading to a good amp was definitely worth it. I bet you could get by for a while, but you may not be happy with the headphone (think "I paid +$200 for THIS?!"). One thing you will notice is harsh highs, like that nails on a chalkboard feeling. Probably some clipping and definitely some distortion. A looseness to the bass. Adding an amp will address these issues, and also increase separation and a feeling of depth to the soundstage.

Short answer: you will get sound and music from your headphones, but an amp is definitely worth it.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #12,972 of 48,562
Do people even read the first post? Serious question. I almost feel like people come to this thread and just ask away, as if there is no guide. Like they automatically only read the last page or last few pages. I can certainly understand that on other forums that don't allow you to edit, or if the original topic creator isn't active, but I specifically mention when my last update was, and you all should know that I'm active (way too much free time).

Those amps are the cheapest that will get the job done.

Oh another note, I haven't touched my LCD2 in like almost a week. I dunno. Sigh. I'm missing my Annies. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love and feel the LCD2 is my preference in sound out of almost everything, but I just don't like putting them on my head. The leather + weight + huge size just doesn't make them the most comfortable things to wear. Can't have it all it seems. I have literally been wearing the KSC35 almost all week for my tv shows, and anime.

I'm ALMOST tempted on selling them... but I know that the LCD2's sound is something I want to keep, and nothing can compare so far that is lighter, more comfy, and not overly expensive.

Ah well...

You really can't put a price on comfort.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #12,973 of 48,562
I think what I'm looking for in a headphone is a very immersive experience. Something that works well with Dolby Headphone and can be driven by the astro rx. It's not just for video games but also movies and minimal music. Good directionality would be nice but I'm not sure it's really all possible considering immersion is normally a function of bass but we'll see. Right now I'm considering picking up a pair of Koss KSC-75's as recommended by the guide. I'm curious to see if I will be satisfied with them and they're cheap and highly regarded. They shouldn't crush my ears so that's kind've my main concern right now. I wanted closed headphones to isolate from loud neighbors and be courteous to them as well but the only ones that really met my requirements in the guide were the Pro 900's, so I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place now.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #12,974 of 48,562
Hey guys what is your opinion on the 

PC 350SE Sennheiser
PC 363D Sennheiser

What headset is better? 

Also do these compare to the PC360 or are there any other headsets that are better around the same price?

Thanks

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #12,975 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys what is your opinion on the 

PC 350SE Sennheiser
PC 363D Sennheiser

What headset is better? 

Also do these compare to the PC360 or are there any other headsets that are better around the same price?

Thanks

They are "Special Editions" of the PC350 and PC360.  They look about the same except for the outer grills have been changed.  They should all share the same drivers. The PC350/350SE are closed back and the PC360/363D are open back.  The open back version usually gets superior reviews as it has a superior soundstage. 

All of them are plain stereo headsets except for the 363D which uses a USB audio interface with Dolby processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back