Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #12,946 of 48,568
Quote:
I've been doing a ton of research and I've finally narrowed it down to two pairs of headphones. The AKG Q701 and the Beyerdynamic  DT990 Pro. Before, I thought I was going to buy the AD700, but my brother talked me in to raising my price range to about $200, so these are what I've found. The main use for the headphones will be gaming, but I will occasionally do some audio editing in Adobe Audition as well. Your opinions would help a lot. Thanks.

Q701 for you and your general purpose, but the AD700 is about the best you can grab if you're talking competitive gaming only. Even better than the Q701 or DT990, so tell your brother to piss off! Ok, don't do that.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #12,947 of 48,568
Yo Mad,

I inquired about changing the headband with AKG, and it seems that if they do the switch for you it will not void the warranty (it will if owner does so themselves). You order the headband from Frank in parts, then send it along with your cans to Richard in repairs. You end up paying for the headband and labor.

It makes more sense to just buy the Annies, like you mention. But I thought I'd throw this in for the people who already own the x70xs with the bumps... and are looking for a more elegant headband mod if they can't do it, themselves, and don't want to void the warranty (if still valid).

I don't know if this is worthy to add as an update on your thread, but I wanted x70x owners to be aware of their options. I personally am going with this option once the new K612 headband becomes available 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #12,948 of 48,568
Did you specify about chanhing the STANDARD K702 to Flat headband? That doesn't sound like what they'd do. I'm almost sure they're referring to swapping out the headband to the same headband if for some reason it's defective.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #12,949 of 48,568
Quote:
Did you specify about chanhing the STANDARD K702 to Flat headband? That doesn't sound like what they'd do. I'm almost sure they're referring to swapping out the headband to the same headband if for some reason it's defective.

Yes I specified changing to a completely different headband... k612 to be exact.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #12,950 of 48,568
If it was defective... they would switch it to the original under warranty. But as a mod, you pay for labor and warranty is till valid.

Edit: I explained it better in the Q701 thread... sorry

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #12,951 of 48,568
Youd have to ship it to them. Its legit for Q701 owners for sure. But if buying new, may as well get the Annie.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #12,952 of 48,568
Quote:

Q701 for you and your general purpose, but the AD700 is about the best you can grab if you're talking competitive gaming only. Even better than the Q701 or DT990, so tell your brother to piss off! Ok, don't do that.

Haha. Well, the only turn off with the AD700 was that I heard its bass is lacking and I want to be immersed into my noncompetitive games, though I do play a lot of competitive shooters.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #12,953 of 48,568
Quote:
Youd have to ship it to them. Its legit for Q701 owners for sure. But if buying new, may as well get the Annie.

Trust me I would have purchased the Annies from the get go... but I already own the black Qs. I purchased the Annie pads when I first saw your update, along with a black K702 cord (needed an extra 3m cord). After I do the headband switch... it will all add up to the going Annie price (around $400).

But to me... mine will look unique, IMHO, so I will be happy in the end
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #12,955 of 48,568
Comparable FWIR. In fact, I think the Annie has more sub bass, but the HD650 has slightly more mid bass. In the end I think the Annis has a fuller sound in the bass.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #12,956 of 48,568
Sweet!  I think I am sold on the Annies.  Good soundstage, positioning, and balanced sound with good bass.  Sound like a winner to me.

BTW, thanks for making this great guide. I find it very helpful.  Your time and effort is much appreciated. :)

Also, I am going to using the Annies with a Creative ZxR soundcard.  Do you feel this will be sufficient or should I invest in something like the Magni?

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #12,957 of 48,568
Congrats on the contributor tag, Mad! Seems like, now that it's happened, you could've just as easily earned the label 5 headphones ago, but your continued reviewing and exploration of course solidifies the tag. Hey, how are things coming with the YouTube channel?

BassMan X,
The Creative ZxR is a great DAC, and I think it has an amp (about the power of a FiiO E9 desktop amp) capable of giving the AKG a good run. At least to start with... you may in the future collect more gear, but the ZxR has an upgraded amp compared to older models.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #12,958 of 48,568
Sweet!  I think I am sold on the Annies.  Good soundstage, positioning, and balanced sound with good bass.  Sound like a winner to me.

BTW, thanks for making this great guide. I find it very helpful.  Your time and effort is much appreciated. :)

Also, I am going to using the Annies with a Creative ZxR soundcard.  Do you feel this will be sufficient or should I invest in something like the Magni?

You will need an amp to make those Annies come alive.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #12,959 of 48,568
Yeah, there is concern over the actual power output of Headphone amp on the ZxR.  It is rated for 80mW @ 600 ohms and it has been tested to only be putting out 48mW.  So, I dunno what the power rating is at the 62 ohms of the Annies.  I know that the Annies have a max power of 200mW.  I just ordered the Annies for $375 at RazorDog.  I will test them out with the ZxR amp, and I will buy a Magni if I am not satisfied.

I was looking at the DT 880/990, K 702 Annies, and the the HD 650.  I ultimately picked the Annies because they seem to be the best for gaming and have bass comparable to the HD 650, which I like.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #12,960 of 48,568
I'm really leaning towards the DT990 pro. From what I've read it seems to have everything I'm looking for and it's right at my price range, but I've heard that it needs an amp to reach its full potential. I'm not really interested in purchasing one because they seem a little expensive. Do you think, without an amp, I could still enjoy my pc gaming? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back