Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #12,991 of 48,565
The best all rounder won't be in the PC360's price range. The PC360 is a very good all rounder, but headphones like the Q701 and even better, the K702 ANniversary will trump it in immersion. Surround emulation and soundstage is very, very strong on the PC360.

The X41, A50, are closed headsets. Closed headsets will NEVER be as good as open ones like the PC360 is terms of soundstage and openness (duh).

THAT BEING SAID, THE X41 IS CURRENTLY $70 ON AMAZON FOR A MANUFACTURER REFURB. IF THE DECODER BOX ALLOWS OTHER HEADPHONES, THIS IS A STEAL.

That = Dolby Headphone amp + free wireless headset, if you wanna look at it that way. I'm tempted myself. This essentially makes it a viable alternative to the DSS with a headset.

I'd jump on it IF voice chat isn't a necessity.

Best starter setup based on this:

X41 refurb (for the dolby headphone decoder, and headset use whenever I want to chat

+

Q701 (or even better, K702 Anniversary off Razordog Audio or ProAudioStar via the make a deal request link for $350).

I should probably get the X41 at some point, for the sake of the review, and perhaps as an additional entry to the amp section.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #12,992 of 48,565
Quote:

I would ditch the A50s as they've overpriced with too much junk crammed in their earcups for good sound quality to co-exist.  Also I hate the idea of paying $ for a Dolby processor but then having it built into a mediocre headset with no way to separate them.

I would pick up some like new PC360s off Amazon and a mixamp instead.  The PC360s soundstage is excellent - a big improvement of the A50s soundstage.

Ok question:

The PC360 headset... Isn't that a STEREO headset? When using the a50, I just use the optical cable to link sound card to the TX amp (my soundcard is the XONAR dx) and I don't even need to press the dolby button on the TX amp to get surround sound... the cues seem to come from the right places... What about xbox 360 gaming? To get surround sound, does one need a MIX amp? Does one need to press the dolby button on the mix amp when using the xbox 360? I think there is some optical out port on the xbox 360 right? which would mean no need for "virutal surround sound" but rather directly sent surround sound to the headset...

I guess my quesiton is: If I get the PC360s, without a MIX amp, will I hear surround sound (rear vs front side... etc...) by just pluggin them in? (PC, consoles...) or must I purchase a Mix amp to make full use of the optical connections on both the PC and the Consoles ?

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #12,993 of 48,565
You WANT stereo headphones.

The Mixamp = the equivalent of an external Xonar DX

Don't overthink it.

The Dolby Button ensures you're getting Dolby Headphone. Not sure if you're using the Xonar properly. Go back to the first page, and listen to the video I linked. Pay attention to the times I have noted. MAKE SURE you're listening to the video with your soundcard's dolby processing turned off as the video is gonna have the processing built in.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #12,994 of 48,565
Quote:
The best all rounder won't be in the PC360's price range. The PC360 is a very good all rounder, but headphones like the Q701 and even better, the K702 ANniversary will trump it in immersion. Surround emulation and soundstage is very, very strong on the PC360.

The X41, A50, are closed headsets. Closed headsets will NEVER be as good as open ones like the PC360 is terms of soundstage and openness (duh).

THAT BEING SAID, THE X41 IS CURRENTLY $70 ON AMAZON FOR A MANUFACTURER REFURB. IF THE DECODER BOX ALLOWS OTHER HEADPHONES, THIS IS A STEAL.

That = Dolby Headphone amp + free wireless headset, if you wanna look at it that way. I'm tempted myself. This essentially makes it a viable alternative to the DSS with a headset.

X41 refurb (for the dolby headphone decoder, and headset use whenever I want to chat

+

Q701 (or even better, K702 Anniversary off Razordog Audio or ProAudioStar via the make a deal request link for $350).

I should probably get the X41 at some point, for the sake of the review, and perhaps as an additional entry to the amp section.

Is it worth me spending the extra $$ for something like the K702 or the Q701 or the K701.

I have a turtle beach x41 transmitter and also a 2013 mix amp pro on the way. Which would be better to pair with. The x41 transmitter (tower) does have wireless aswell as a 3.5mm input.

I plugged some old TDK MP100's into the X41 tower and 5.1 sounded fantastic. X41's are discontinued now but you can find a used / refurb maybe.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #12,995 of 48,565
That's great but it doesn't answer my question. My Xonar DX soundcard supports surround sound. But the PC360 features 3.5mm plugs (two of them, 1 for mic, and 1 for sound). How do I get the surround sound processed by my soundcard (xonar dx) to the PC360? Do I just plug them 3.5mm jacks? or must I use the MIX amp (which is what I feel you are tryin to say... )

(about the famous dolby button on the mix amps, what does it do exactly?) Now I know you guys have written TONS of info on these forums with probably the answers to most of my questions, but there's just too much information to run through. If you don't feel like "re-typing" everything for me, could you copy and paste? or point me to the section of the thread you are thinking about. I really want to invest my 300$ wisely, I was fool enough to trust the a50s would be top of the line, I don't feel like doing another mistake ...

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #12,996 of 48,565
...uhh those questions are common sense... you plug them to the headphone jack. DOLBY HEADPHONE takes a digital surround signal and converts it into virtual surround for standard stereo headphones.

Google... its your best friend... that and Youtube. O_o

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but these things are easily answer with maybe just a few quick google searches.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #12,997 of 48,565
Yes I know what Virtual surround sound is... my question is this:

With my astro a50, I simply plugged in the optical cable (spdif) I had from my xonar's DX souncard to the TX amp Optical input. When gaming, I noticed right off the bat I was getting surround sound (was that virtual surround sound or true surround sound, just sent over from the DX card?)

Because, in this very case, I didnt have the dolby button on... I just had the optical cable plugged in, and on my xonar dx panel I set up the sound output to be "SPDIF out" with Dolby Digital Live technology on... And I got surround sound in my ears...

Now what I heard, was that processed a second time by the TX amp? or was it just sound sent over straight to the headphones? And I even tried to output the sound using the USB connection only, I made the Astro a50 the default sound output on my PC (instead of the Xonar DX) and I was still getting the same Surround Sound in my ears when playing games. Again, do you think that was virtual surround sound?

I guess, what I'm NOT understanding is: What is required for good surround sound to be playned in a headset system? The PC soundcard? The Mix amp? the headset drivers? I must sound like a terrible noob, but I am really trying to understand, and I've spent the last 2 hours reading through tons of info on this forum... but I guess some of it is too hard for me to understand. Can you try and put it in simple words so I can understand how the process is done.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #12,998 of 48,565
Optical out will normally send out a real dolby digital 5.1 signal, but the DX might be sending Dolby Headphone with the DX panel on, so there is no need to do it with the A50.

A headphone can't 'take' a real surround signal. It's going to be converted to stereo at some point, or at least to Dolby Headphone.

Turn OFF the Dolby Technology setting on the Xonar panel. If you no longer get virtual surround, then that means the DX is actually converting into dolby headphone for other devices when you have it ON.

What you'd do in this situation to test if it's legit is to test the A50 with the DX panel to Dolby off and press the Dolby button on the A50. If it sounds the same as when the DX pnel is on with the A50 Dolby is off, then that means the DX is doing the same processing as the A50's internal decoder, so there is no need to have both on. In this instance, it's up to you as both have the same processing, though the DX's might be higher quality.

I don't have a dolby device on my PC so not sure what settings to use, but the Mixamp/A50/etc is pretty barren of settings. It either works or doesn't. If it detects a Dolby Digital signal and the Dolby button is on, it will do it's work. The DX will have panels, etc, with more options, though might be more confusing to use properly.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #12,999 of 48,565
That's great but it doesn't answer my question. My Xonar DX soundcard supports surround sound. But the PC360 features 3.5mm plugs (two of them, 1 for mic, and 1 for sound). How do I get the surround sound processed by my soundcard (xonar dx) to the PC360? Do I just plug them 3.5mm jacks? or must I use the MIX amp (which is what I feel you are tryin to say... )

(about the famous dolby button on the mix amps, what does it do exactly?) Now I know you guys have written TONS of info on these forums with probably the answers to most of my questions, but there's just too much information to run through. If you don't feel like "re-typing" everything for me, could you copy and paste? or point me to the section of the thread you are thinking about. I really want to invest my 300$ wisely, I was fool enough to trust the a50s would be top of the line, I don't feel like doing another mistake ...

Link you're asking for is in my signature. No seriously, the info you want is in just one post, carefully explained and organized. You could've understood by now instead of repeating your question.

Btw when you're using the optical out connected to your A50 (which has it's own processing) on your Xonar card, you're basically not even using the Xonar's processing. The Xonar takes the surround info from a game, and (just pipes it out to your A50 via Optical Out, or) processes that surround into a mix that will virtually sound like surround, but be mixed for stereo headphones. So any old stereo headphone could plug into the 3.5mm jack of your sound card, and hear virtual surround. Headphones with good separation and soundstage (like most of the headphones Mad has bothered to review) will produce that effect very well.

To repeat in your language: yes, you "just plug them 3.5mm jacks" of the Xonar DX

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #13,000 of 48,565
Quote:
Link you're asking for is in my signature. No seriously, the info you want is in just one post, carefully explained and organized. You could've understood by now instead of repeating your question.

Btw when you're using the optical out connected to your A50 (which has it's own processing) on your Xonar card, you're basically not even using the Xonar's processing. The Xonar takes the surround info from a game, and (just pipes it out to your A50 via Optical Out, or) processes that surround into a mix that will virtually sound like surround, but be mixed for stereo headphones. So any old stereo headphone could plug into the 3.5mm jack of your sound card, and hear virtual surround. Headphones with good separation and soundstage (like most of the headphones Mad has bothered to review) will produce that effect very well.

To repeat in your language: yes, you "just plug them 3.5mm jacks" of the Xonar DX

With all due respect, when you go to the garage, do you take the pamphlet and read all about the car parts and how they work together and what to buy, and which is better or do you just want it "straight" ?

If you are dealing with something you don'T know much about. You want it straight and simple, you want o "ask away"... I know you guys know way more about headsets than I do, which is why I read through what I could, half of which I didnt understand because this ain't my domain of expertise... Now if you feel I annoy you because I don't have the patience to re-read everything 5 times until I finally get it, maybe you ought to just ignore me, how about that?

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #13,001 of 48,565
I just found out that there is a brand new sequel to the "ath ad700" and the "ath ad900", the "ath ad700x" and "ath ad900x". I was just wondering if you guys have any information about these two headphones and if they are better then there predecessers. Thanks in advance! :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #13,003 of 48,565
Quote:

+

This got me interested but after a quick look through the X41's manual I have my doubts this is possible.  It's not like a Mixamp 5.8 at all. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #13,004 of 48,565
Quote:
With all due respect, when you go to the garage, do you take the pamphlet and read all about the car parts and how they work together and what to buy, and which is better or do you just want it "straight" ?

If you are dealing with something you don'T know much about. You want it straight and simple, you want o "ask away"... I know you guys know way more about headsets than I do, which is why I read through what I could, half of which I didnt understand because this ain't my domain of expertise... Now if you feel I annoy you because I don't have the patience to re-read everything 5 times until I finally get it, maybe you ought to just ignore me, how about that?

popcorn.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #13,005 of 48,565
Quote:
I just found out that there is a brand new sequel to the "ath ad700" and the "ath ad900", the "ath ad700x" and "ath ad900x". I was just wondering if you guys have any information about these two headphones and if they are better then there predecessers. Thanks in advance! :)

There isn't much out there on the AD700X, but there's a ton out there on the AD900X. Check out this thread. Also see Lachlan's video review. I am just a huge fanboy of the AD lineup and I will probably be importing an AD1000X from Amazon Japan soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back