Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #12,346 of 48,562
Quote:
So basically..... almost everything I've ever told you.
biggrin.gif

xD nice

if I didn't already enjoy my byers I might have snatched these up. Good to hear the new anniversie has more w8

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #12,347 of 48,562
Quote:
So I used the Q701 pads again tonight specifically for gaming.  I haven't heard them for about two weeks, and I've been using the Anniversary during that time.

The first two things I noticed were:

1)  I was surprised to hear that the Q701s really weren't too much of an improvement in terms of soundstage and positioning.  The actual soundstage itself is really essentially the same as on the anniversary pads - it really just comes down to the weight of the sounds.  I said all this in my review, and I stand by it.  I was expecting the imaging and positioning to sharpen up more with the Q701s, but it didn't really.  It was basically the same level of diffuseness as on the anniversaries.  The difference was just that the sounds were lighter and sharper.  There's something about lighter airier sounds that gives the effect of making sounds sound farther away then weightier sounds.  But like I said, once you adjust for that "effect", the sounds are still basically coming from the same location/distance in the soundstage.  So the Q701s competitive advantage mainly just comes down to the lighter overall balance (think AD700) which emphasizes and makes things a bit clearer.  The anniversaries are definitely more immersive sounding, and IMO better choice for single player gaming.  Not necessarily because of the bass, but because of the overall body/weight of all the frequencies.  It just gives objects and characters more mass in game, and they feel more 3D and physically "there" (hmm...would that be "imaging?" still not sure what exactly "imaging" means - positioning?, or how sounds are outlined in the space?). This is especially true if your not using a bass boost with the Q701s (I always keep it ON during single player gaming), which leads me to my next point...

2)... I was a little surprised how much more bass the Anniversaries had.  I remembered the differences being more minor last time I tested (which was mainly with music).  I did some tests with the Mixamp 5.8's bass boost, and I found that the Q701 with the bass boost ON actually has fairly similar bass levels to the Anniversaries with bass boost OFF.  The Q701 just has a little more initial impact.  I think the bass also seems to decay quicker on Q701 though, and it doesn't have much support body-wise from the other frequencies compared to the anniversary.  Like the bass is trying to fight to give all the body but the mids and treble aren't helping out much.  The annivesary's entire spectrum gets a volumizing body-boost over the Q701, and since you can't boost the body of the mids and treble the Q701 is at a disadvantage there.  I was expecting Q701 + Bass Boost to fall somewhere in-between the anniversary without bass boost, and the anniversary with bass boost, but it's closer to the former.   Once you turn the Bass boost ON with the anniversaries, they're on another level though.  They leave the Q701s behind in terms of body and impact.  Sometimes it's almost too much bass (or mid-bass) - like your standing near a generator and it's humming louder overtop of the other sounds.  Sometimes it can sound muddy-ish depending on what the game is doing.  I blame some of this on the mixamps muddy bass boost though, which is why....

...I just re-snagged a DSS v1 off eBay
tongue_smile.gif

I miss it's bass boost - it really has a superior bass boost over the Mixamp 5.8.  It's tighter/cleaner, affects less of the mid-bass and more of the sub-bass, and punches significantly harder than the mixamp if you max out the dial.  The mixamps bass is muddier and cuts off slowy affecting more lower mid frequencies.  Not to mention, it clips more.  The added control over the bass is worth it for the $30 shipped IMO.  The DSS has a slightly higher noise floor, but that's pretty much a non-issue with the AKG K70x - they don't really care.

BTW, it sounds like I'm ragging on the Q701, but I don't mean to.  I love them and think they're great.  I'm just trying to clarify some of the differences I hear between the two pads during gaming/single-player gaming in relation to soundstage and bass - only this time I'm specifically coming off of having used the anniversaries for two weeks and normalizing their sound, without being able to hear the Q701s.  The first time I compared, it was coming from using the Q701s as the default and the anniversaries as the outsider, and I said things like they're "slightly too dark," "Forward sounding", "I prefer the air on the Q701," "I like the floating sounds on the Q701", etc.  So it's all sort of relative to whatever you're used to at that moment.

Do you still stand for the pads as a difference between Q701 and Anniversaries? 

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #12,349 of 48,562
Quote:
I don't know if you guys can help but I'm trying to figure out a good setup for gaming and music.  I was thinking of either getting the Steelseries Audio Mixer (or maybe DSS?), cheap clip on microphone, and CAL or just get the Monoprice 7.1 headset.  I'm mainly going to be using the headphones for music so I figured the CAL would be the better option but I'm not sure how that setup is for gaming.  I know the Monoprice is pretty decent for gaming but I have no idea how it is for music. I assume it's just ok. If anyone has experience with any of these, I'd like to hear what you have to say because I can't find enough info on the equipment

Can anybody help me? I'm fairly new to gaming setups

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #12,350 of 48,562
Chicolom, glad to see you re-snagged a DSS v1. I was wondering if you also get slight sound distortions if you maximize the bass booster.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #12,352 of 48,562
I know this has probably been asked and this is a common battle of products, but searching for both products and the word 'ears' in this thread I couldn't find a definite answer.

I have large ears and my decision between the CAL or M50 is coming down based purely on which one might be more comfortable for those with large ears. I have both in my Amazon cart right now and am just waiting to click buy!

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #12,353 of 48,562
So, I am the new owner of an AKG 702 65th Anniversary, thanks so much MLE :D

Anyway, wanting to amp it, what should I use? On a PC with a dedicated soundcard. Will not use it portable for now....so linky please? 100ish limit.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #12,354 of 48,562
I hope you enjoy them at least half as much as I did. That would still be a lot, lol.

Like I told you, that particular soundcard MIGHT have an internal amp with similar specs to the E9K (not sure), so there's no need for an extra amp. If you want a dedicated amp that may push it just a little more, try the Schiit Magni.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Post a link to your soundcard? Nameless might know.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #12,355 of 48,562
Quote:
MLE, have you tried the Shure SRH940 for competitive gaming (or any other use) yet? If so, initial thoughts?

I picked these up very cheap this week to fulfill a need I had with their signature and am finding them to be quite analytical and a detail monster. Wonder how that would translate to positional audio with competitive gaming. Obviously, there's going to be some major drawbacks with the closed back and smaller soundstage.

Anyone else have thoughts on these in terms of competitive gaming?

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #12,356 of 48,562
Can anybody help me? I'm fairly new to gaming setups

CAL's are probably the better value but I haven't heard the Monoprice headset and I don't expect too many people will have, so you're probably not gonna get a lot of input regarding that comparison. Someone in this thread bought it tho, could use the search function to figure it out and PM them.

The CALs and a clip on (or even a more expensive Modmic) will stomp all over most headsets IMO, tho you could take a look at MLE's SLYR review on the first page if you really really want a headset.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #12,358 of 48,562
Quote:
CAL's are probably the better value but I haven't heard the Monoprice headset and I don't expect too many people will have, so you're probably not gonna get a lot of input regarding that comparison. Someone in this thread bought it tho, could use the search function to figure it out and PM them.

The CALs and a clip on (or even a more expensive Modmic) will stomp all over most headsets IMO, tho you could take a look at MLE's SLYR review on the first page if you really really want a headset.

Thanks for the input.  What would be the best and most cost effective sound decoder/mixer? The Astro Mixamp is quite expensive but that's the only thing I have had experience with.  Is there something that is like it but much cheaper or should I just use an audio mixer? The SLYR seems like a good headset that I can also use as my daily headphones but I assume it'd be better to go with the CALs if I'm using them more for music right? Also what's a decent clip on mic for use with an Xbox?

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12,359 of 48,562
Quote:

No AKG audition for me, I guess...but that makes two happy people down in Florida!

Ultimately, what I'm finding so far is that I already have my favorite headphones for everything, but it's difficult for me to figure out where I stand in the great scheme of things when people are going on about K702 65th this and HD650 that when I've never even auditioned either of them, and don't feel like spending money up-front just to find out.

Sorry Nameless. I do apologize that you don't get an audition, however....these are awesome! MLE was so great inviting me over and letting me listen to them before I bought 'em. He walked me through a ton of setup stuff (that I didn't even know about) and was all around very nice and helpful, even after I purchased them, he answered a couple questions.

Thank you so much MLE.

This is my first pair of hi-ish-end headphones, and I can't believe it's taken me years of putting up with a crappy gaming headset. Music will never be the same.

Next step: AMP. :)

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #12,360 of 48,562
I need help guys. I am looking for something to replace my x41s.  I currently have the x41 transmitter that came with it, so I do not need an Astro MixAmp. I was looking at the PC 360s or the HD 598s, but I was wondering how the chat would work on the PC 360s with my Xbox 360? Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back