Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #12,316 of 48,577
I don't know if you guys can help but I'm trying to figure out a good setup for gaming and music.  I was thinking of either getting the Steelseries Audio Mixer, cheap clip on microphone, and CAL or just get the Monoprice 7.1 headset.  I'm mainly going to be using the headphones for music so I figured the CAL would be the better option but I'm not sure how that setup is for gaming.  I know the Monoprice is pretty decent for gaming but I have no idea how it is for music. I assume it's just ok. If anyone has experience with any of these, I'd like to hear what you have to say because I can't find enough info on the equipment

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #12,317 of 48,577
Just got the Q701's in. Comfort is pretty good. The bumps on the headband don't bother me at all... I can wear these for hours. But the cable... does anyone else think the bright lime green color is a little weird looking?

From my first few minutes of gaming with them, I can tell you they are amazing for competitive gaming. The soundstage and imaging is excellent. I can easily pin point where enemies are coming from in FPS games.

For music they are pretty good as well. To me, they are very clear and balanced sounding. Mids and treble are superb. Airy sounding with good instrument separation. Bass is neutral... it is there, but it's not emphasized. It's in line with the mids and highs. If you are coming from a closed back headphone with a lot of bass, these will definitely feel like they lack bass impact and slam.

Overall I like these. Not sure if I want to keep them yet. I'm curious to see what the other 'Big 3' mid-fi headphones sound like...

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #12,318 of 48,577
Quote:
Just got the Q701's in. Comfort is pretty good. The bumps on the headband don't bother me at all... I can wear these for hours. But the cable... does anyone else think the bright lime green color is a little weird looking?

Unless you were able to shop for them and buy them with your eyes closed, you knew they were going to come with a green cable.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #12,319 of 48,577
Haha yeah I know. I just didn't realize they were that bright... I can understand a green headphone with green cables but I've never seen a white headphone with a bright lime green attached to it, but whatever floats your boat I guess lol.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #12,321 of 48,577
Quote:
Overall I like these. Not sure if I want to keep them yet. I'm curious to see what the other 'Big 3' mid-fi headphones sound like...

What r the big 3?

Dt 880
Akg q701
He-400? maybe???

I also hear the ath w1000x is very colored... :D my first colored can woot!

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #12,322 of 48,577
Big 3 back in the day:

DT880
K70x
HD650

Funny, as all 3 still stand toe to toe with the best mid-fi cans of today.

What r the big 3?
I also hear the ath w1000x is very colored... :D my first colored can woot!

Didn't you own the DT990 and XB700? Those two are as colored as they get. Colored = emphasized ranges. In most cases, bass.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #12,323 of 48,577
Quote:
Big 3 back in the day:

DT880
K70x
HD650

Funny, as all 3 still stand toe to toe with the best mid-fi cans of today.
Didn't you own the DT990 and XB700? Those two are as colored as they get. Colored = emphasized ranges. In most cases, bass.

haha, I KNOW right

But those r them Techno cans ;o

But i'll b happy to enjoy a closed mid colored can! The mad dog with tubes was WAY to thick in the mids, and the bass was worse than the dt 880s e.e

but I guess that's the funny part, dt 880 on THICK tubes is mah fav, 

Still WHY rn't they here yet lol

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #12,324 of 48,577
The case is the same but the knobs don't have a bevel and the graphics for the volume are different.  Also, mine has a door on the toslink.  According to the guide on page 1 the 7.1 version doesn't have this.  Strangely, the first few pages of a google search on the model number are pretty unhelpful.    

Quote:

I think the consensus is that it's mainly marketing and that there's barely any audible difference.
It sounds like the more likely cause of it sounding better is that you've gotten used to dolby headphone.

Does your mixamp look like this? Because if it doesn't then it's doing the 7.1.

Also the DSS has a higher noise floor than any of the mixamps I've tested. This is especially important for the AD700s, which are probably the most prone to picking up hiss out of all the headphones I've tried.

The DSS does have a lovely bass boost on it though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12,326 of 48,577

I'd love to have a solid yet easily detachable single-sided cable like that on my DT 880, it could be pink for all I care... :p I rather dig the lime green cable tho (not so much the white Q's but I think it works).

I'll take a fixed single entry over a removable dual entry any day tho, I know the latter's technically better but I'm not the sort that's ever gonna buy upgrade cables or step up to a balanced setup so I could care less.

Single sided's just a lot easier to keep out of the way IMO, specially sitting at a desk... It's a little thing but it plays as much of a role in comfort/ergonomics as anything.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12,327 of 48,577
Quote:
The case is the same but the knobs don't have a bevel and the graphics for the volume are different.  Also, mine has a door on the toslink.  According to the guide on page 1 the 7.1 version doesn't have this.  Strangely, the first few pages of a google search on the model number are pretty unhelpful.    

If it doesn't look EXACTLY like the one in the picture, it's the 7.1 version.

In other words, if it looks like THIS, it's the 7.1 version.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #12,328 of 48,577
It might be the earlier version of the Pro since it still has the door on the optical port. I think I remember reading they removed the door on later revsions since they always just broke off anyways. I'm probably wrong though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #12,329 of 48,577
So a local Head-fier came over my house, and bought the Annie on the spot. He agreed that they sounded very close to the LCD2.

They are gone. :frowning2:

I know it's going to a good home, so I'm okay with that.

They may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten, and they will be my #1 recommendation for all rounder purposes on this thread and then some.

Just because I sold them, doesn't mean I don't love them. They are overall my favorite all rounder outside of the D7000, and my 3rd fave for music/movie use.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #12,330 of 48,577
MLE, have you tried the Shure SRH940 for competitive gaming (or any other use) yet? If so, initial thoughts?

I picked these up very cheap this week to fulfill a need I had with their signature and am finding them to be quite analytical and a detail monster. Wonder how that would translate to positional audio with competitive gaming. Obviously, there's going to be some major drawbacks with the closed back and smaller soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back