Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #12,301 of 48,583
7.1 upmixing isn't the same as 7.1. :p

Though if I had a word in it, the Mixamp does 100.1 anyways. :wink:

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #12,302 of 48,583
Quote:
7.1 upmixing isn't the same as 7.1.
tongue.gif

Though if I had a word in it, the Mixamp does 100.1 anyways.
wink.gif

I'm just saying that the DSS and mixmap both do it.  They both "upmix" to 7.1, using the same dolby chip.

I agree that it doesn't really mean anything. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #12,303 of 48,583
Ah true.

One thing I'll miss is the Pro Logic II conversion for PS2/Wii games. My Marantz receiver doesn't do it. :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #12,306 of 48,583
Is there a list of current receivers that have dolby headphone processing?  I looked a little and couldn't find any that weren't from several years ago.

I still think FiiO, or even someone like Asus, should make what is essentially a more powerful version of the mixamp.  Same dolby headphone chip, but with desktop amp power and noise floor. 

Ideally it would also have good analog inputs, so you can pair it with external DACs, and also ideally the internal amp would be "audiophile" enough that you could just use it as your default headphone amp and sell of any other headphone amps. If it was that good then it's allowed to be anywhere between 150-300$ IMO.

So really even an E9 with a dolby headphone chip inside and toggle switchs for Dolby or Pro Logic ON/OFF and analog external input/digital input.

Surely a more audiophile company wouldn't mind drawing the big market of console gamers with headphones away from Astro/Turtle Beach/Tritton/etc?

I'm in for kickstarting this!

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #12,307 of 48,583
[size=medium]I think I just realized my mistake.  [/size]

[size=medium]Based on my reading here I went out and got a AD700 and Mixamp about 4 weeks ago.  I’m coming from stereo so I was expecting something great but instead it felt like it was missing.  On a whim I got a DSS on ebay and it ending up feeling better.  I was confused because I spent almost 4x as much on the Mixamp but I think I just realized I got the old (5.1 Mixamp) version.  [/size]

[size=medium]Is the consensus that 7.1 (upmixed) is better than 5.1 right?  Or am I crazy by saying the $25 DSS sounds better?    [/size]

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #12,308 of 48,583
Quote:
[size=medium]I think I just realized my mistake.  [/size]

[size=medium]Based on my reading here I went out and got a AD700 and Mixamp about 4 weeks ago.  I’m coming from stereo so I was expecting something great but instead it felt like it was missing.  On a whim I got a DSS on ebay and it ending up feeling better.  I was confused because I spent almost 4x as much on the Mixamp but I think I just realized I got the old (5.1 Mixamp) version.  [/size]

[size=medium]Is the consensus that 7.1 (upmixed) is better than 5.1 right?  Or am I crazy by saying the $25 DSS sounds better?    [/size]

I think the consensus is that it's mainly marketing and that there's barely any audible difference.
It sounds like the more likely cause of it sounding better is that you've gotten used to dolby headphone.

Does your mixamp look like this? Because if it doesn't then it's doing the 7.1.

Also the DSS has a higher noise floor than any of the mixamps I've tested. This is especially important for the AD700s, which are probably the most prone to picking up hiss out of all the headphones I've tried.

The DSS does have a lovely bass boost on it though.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #12,309 of 48,583
Quote:

Probably in a couple hours... finally found my zune dock so I can line out instead of using the headphone output to connect it to my vintage denon amp.

wow grats on getting to hear Zune Line out, I had something that did it for a car radion, but you could auxillary out of the Dock and well get Line out sound.

Nice Zune HD and he 400 tell us :D

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #12,310 of 48,583
Quote:
wow grats on getting to hear Zune Line out, I had something that did it for a car radion, but you could auxillary out of the Dock and well get Line out sound.

Nice Zune HD and he 400 tell us :D

Heh, I use one of those car adapters too and I also have one spare just in case that one dies. Love my Zunes, I don't see myself actively using any other media players or my phone to play music.

Here's one pic of the HE400 before I pack it up and ship it out to the very lucky buyer.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12,311 of 48,583
Quote:

Here's one pic of the HE400 before I pack it up and ship it out to the very lucky buyer.

Can you ship the parts express headphones back to MLE?  I would just throw it a tiny bubble envelope or something...

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #12,314 of 48,583
http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-premium-gaming-headset-newest-model

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #12,315 of 48,583
Quote:
http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-premium-gaming-headset-newest-model

Oh nice

Also... ironically I just paid MORE for a ATH w1000x [with NEW L3000 pads] then I could have for a new He 400... OH WELL I want a closed woodie!

My buyer told me he also prefered [highly] the w1000x over the Mad dog, so I should be happy. and it's only the pads that have costed me. Since I returned le mad dog.... WHY DID I GET U MAD DOG q.q [they don't suck but they need a REALLY great solid state amp, which I ofc don't use ss amps ] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back