Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #12,331 of 48,576
Yeah, I've heard some things about the 940, but even if they were good, I'm not really interested in owning a closed pair of headphones. If I did, they'd have to be the Denon D7000 or Fostex TH-600/900, or realistically, maybe the Mad Dogs. Zero need for closed ATM.

Closed headphones are just so inferior to open headphones in general, IMHO, so they're only a last resort for me.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #12,332 of 48,576
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard some things about the 940, but even if they were good, I'm not really interested in owning a closed pair of headphones. If I did, they'd have to be the Denon D7000 or Fostex TH-600/900, or realistically, maybe the Mad Dogs. Zero need for closed ATM.

Closed headphones are just so inferior to open headphones in general, IMHO, so they're only a last resort for me.

Ok, so no experience with them then. I do agree with the view of open vs close. It's not even a discussion in my eyes. I do believe there is a time and place for closed cans, though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #12,333 of 48,576
Thanks so much for such an informative thread (Mad Lust Envy) and community. Decided to join to get involved with some of the stuff on here!

Just a quick question, I hoped you could help with. Based on your review of the Skullcandy SLYR's, and the fair price I got them for, I decided to plump with them. Sound wise I was very impressed, I've played around with them, and everything strength and weakness you identified I agree with. However, my question relates to the microphone and the general set up for the PC. As you may remember, they come with the standard 3.5mm jack, but also with the USB mixer that they travel through to the PC, which allows the preset EQ's to be chosen and the Mic to be used.

For some reason, regardless of whether I mute the microphone or not (which is very odd), I can hear my own voice and whatever the mic picks up, fed directly back into the phones in my ears. This is really distracting and obviously affects the quality of the sound, because if my phone rings or whatever, I suddenly have that blasted into my ears! I called the Skullcandy customer support and they said they had never heard of this happening and so I should get a refund; however I have noticed a few things about it online. I wondered whether you, or anyone may have had a similar experience? Or maybe someone has them on hand to test this for me? Regardless of what I do, the microphone wont stop feeding themselves back, even with them being muted!! I also made sure the windows settings were not set to have my speakers picking up the mic.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you may give. Here's to my first post!
happy_face1.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #12,334 of 48,576
Sorry, I no longer have the SLYR, and can't test for your issue. Since I don't ever use anything for the PC directly, I can't say if that's a typical issue or not.

Not sure I understand. This only happens on your PC with the Mixer in the mix? I'm bad with PC stuff, sadly.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #12,335 of 48,576
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it only happens when its plugged directly into the mixer. Because (I think) the 3.5mm jack is an inline one (with the mic line in it), I dont have this problem when I plug it directly into the system's sound card. But when I plug it through the mixer, regardless of mute settings or anything, what the MIC picks up, the SPEAKERS play.
confused.gif

I appreciate what your saying regarding PCs, I had just wondered whether you had experienced the same thing when trying it out on your console. Did you use the included mixer?

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #12,336 of 48,576
I tested it out for the review with the PS3. I didnt have any weird issues though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #12,337 of 48,576
Really strange. Okay well maybe I should just exchange them for another pair and see if have the same issues.
Can you remember if you used the included mixer, or if you used your own? Or did you plug in the 3.5mm straight into the PS3?

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #12,338 of 48,576
I did use the included Mixer. It worked fine. I have a feeling it might be something in your PC settings that may be doing it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #12,340 of 48,576
My Q701 pads came in today! 

Plump.  Juicy.  Delicious. 

*Snniiiiffff*  Mmm....with that brand-new-velour smell.

regular_smile .gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #12,341 of 48,576
Quote:
So a local Head-fier came over my house, and bought the Annie on the spot. He agreed that they sounded very close to the LCD2.

They are gone.
frown.gif

I know it's going to a good home, so I'm okay with that.

They may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten, and they will be my #1 recommendation for all rounder purposes on this thread and then some.

Just because I sold them, doesn't mean I don't love them. They are overall my favorite all rounder outside of the D7000, and my 3rd fave for music/movie use.

No AKG audition for me, I guess...but that makes two happy people down in Florida!

Ultimately, what I'm finding so far is that I already have my favorite headphones for everything, but it's difficult for me to figure out where I stand in the great scheme of things when people are going on about K702 65th this and HD650 that when I've never even auditioned either of them, and don't feel like spending money up-front just to find out.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #12,342 of 48,576
interesting question, my dt 880s sound better with the volume CRANKED on Low gain, then they do on half'd volume High gain  [with my hybrid tube]

any one have any idea why :xf_eek:

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #12,343 of 48,576
So I used the Q701 pads again tonight specifically for gaming.  I haven't heard them for about two weeks, and I've been using the Anniversary during that time.

The first two things I noticed were:

1)  I was surprised to hear that the Q701s really weren't too much of an improvement in terms of soundstage and positioning.  The actual soundstage itself is really essentially the same as on the anniversary pads - it really just comes down to the weight of the sounds.  I said all this in my review, and I stand by it.  I was expecting the imaging and positioning to sharpen up more with the Q701s, but it didn't really.  It was basically the same level of diffuseness as on the anniversaries.  The difference was just that the sounds were lighter and sharper.  There's something about lighter airier sounds that gives the effect of making sounds sound farther away then weightier sounds.  But like I said, once you adjust for that "effect", the sounds are still basically coming from the same location/distance in the soundstage.  So the Q701s competitive advantage mainly just comes down to the lighter overall balance (think AD700) which emphasizes and makes things a bit clearer.  The anniversaries are definitely more immersive sounding, and IMO better choice for single player gaming.  Not necessarily because of the bass, but because of the overall body/weight of all the frequencies.  It just gives objects and characters more mass in game, and they feel more 3D and physically "there" (hmm...would that be "imaging?" still not sure what exactly "imaging" means - positioning?, or how sounds are outlined in the space?). This is especially true if your not using a bass boost with the Q701s (I always keep it ON during single player gaming), which leads me to my next point...

2)... I was a little surprised how much more bass the Anniversaries had.  I remembered the differences being more minor last time I tested (which was mainly with music).  I did some tests with the Mixamp 5.8's bass boost, and I found that the Q701 with the bass boost ON actually has fairly similar bass levels to the Anniversaries with bass boost OFF.  The Q701 just has a little more initial impact.  I think the bass also seems to decay quicker on Q701 though, and it doesn't have much support body-wise from the other frequencies compared to the anniversary.  Like the bass is trying to fight to give all the body but the mids and treble aren't helping out much.  The annivesary's entire spectrum gets a volumizing body-boost over the Q701, and since you can't boost the body of the mids and treble the Q701 is at a disadvantage there.  I was expecting Q701 + Bass Boost to fall somewhere in-between the anniversary without bass boost, and the anniversary with bass boost, but it's closer to the former.   Once you turn the Bass boost ON with the anniversaries, they're on another level though.  They leave the Q701s behind in terms of body and impact.  Sometimes it's almost too much bass (or mid-bass) - like your standing near a generator and it's humming louder overtop of the other sounds.  Sometimes it can sound muddy-ish depending on what the game is doing.  I blame some of this on the mixamps muddy bass boost though, which is why....

...I just re-snagged a DSS v1 off eBay
tongue_smile.gif

I miss it's bass boost - it really has a superior bass boost over the Mixamp 5.8.  It's tighter/cleaner, affects less of the mid-bass and more of the sub-bass, and punches significantly harder than the mixamp if you max out the dial.  The mixamps bass is muddier and cuts off slowy affecting more lower mid frequencies.  Not to mention, it clips more.  The added control over the bass is worth it for the $30 shipped IMO.  The DSS has a slightly higher noise floor, but that's pretty much a non-issue with the AKG K70x - they don't really care.

BTW, it sounds like I'm ragging on the Q701, but I don't mean to.  I love them and think they're great.  I'm just trying to clarify some of the differences I hear between the two pads during gaming/single-player gaming in relation to soundstage and bass - only this time I'm specifically coming off of having used the anniversaries for two weeks and normalizing their sound, without being able to hear the Q701s.  The first time I compared, it was coming from using the Q701s as the default and the anniversaries as the outsider, and I said things like they're "slightly too dark," "Forward sounding", "I prefer the air on the Q701," "I like the floating sounds on the Q701", etc.  So it's all sort of relative to whatever you're used to at that moment.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #12,344 of 48,576
So basically..... almost everything I've ever told you. :D

And yes, to me it was more about the weight of the sound as a whole as opposed to just being more fun because the bass was bigger. The Annie has this natural warmth, that I've yet to hear from any other headphone. Both the HD650 and leather LCD2 are warmer than the Annie, and therefore not AS natural. The vegan LCD2 comes close, and is quite neutral sounding, but the super high end is a hair sharper than the Annies, so in that aspect (along with air and sense of space), I really preferred the Annie.

This is why I tell people to spend like a WEEK with a headphone, and NOT compare it to any other within that week, then go back and see how the old ones sound like. It does take time to acclimate yourself to a new headphone. I had previously contacted Justin to tell him I would rather get a pair of leather LCD2s (which he was going to send me), until YESTERDAY. All the sudden, all my complaints went away, and I was left with a really amazing sound. The treble no longer felt a bit too sharp, but rather just nice and crisp. Things take time, and being so used to the Annie's pretty smooth treble, that's why I was a bit iffy with the vegan LCD2. Trust me, the treble is basically neutral now. The Annie's treble is 'smooth, south of neutral' in comparison. The sudden appreciation made me contact him and tell him that I would prefer to keep the Vegan LCD2 now.

And yes, I did NOT like the Mixamp 5.8's bass boost. That thing clipped more than I benefited from the actual boost. I mean, I like that it was very subtle, but the clipping was too problematic. When it worked, it was nice, but ultimately, I left it off the overwhelming majority of the time.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #12,345 of 48,576
Quote:
So a local Head-fier came over my house, and bought the Annie on the spot. He agreed that they sounded very close to the LCD2.

They are gone.
frown.gif

I know it's going to a good home, so I'm okay with that.

They may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten, and they will be my #1 recommendation for all rounder purposes on this thread and then some.

Just because I sold them, doesn't mean I don't love them. They are overall my favorite all rounder outside of the D7000, and my 3rd fave for music/movie use.

So which one would be your first 2 for music/movie use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back