Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #10,726 of 48,562
Quote:
I forgot about the K1000. I so wanna try them, but I'd never wear it around people, lol.

That natural crossfeed plus humongous soundstage... so wanna try it.

Quote:
Two speakers hovering over your ears is basically what the K1000 is. You can try a ghetto version of this by holding two desktop speakers next to your ears. Itsa very good effect. That natural crossfeed makes listening a lot less fatiguing than when listening to headphones that are playing sounds on just one ear. It hurts, really. That's another reason why Dolby Headphone is so pleasing to me. You get that virtual crossfeed.

I would just go for the Sony MA900 for that effect.  No need to spend ~$1000 on the K1000, which I have a feeling probably got an instant overhype boost as soon as it became discontinued. 

I had the MDR F1 and it had the same natural crossfeed effect.  The MA900 is supposed to be an improvement over the F1.

The problem with those types of headphones is that they aren't great for Dolby Headphone and handling HRTFs.  They already have a diffuse sound and sound similar to dolby pro logic in stereo.  Something like the AD700 becomes razor sharp when put into dolby headphone, but the crossfeedy headphones still sound a little fuzzy in imaging.  They sound cool though, sort of holographic, just not super sharp.  I like them for movies.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #10,727 of 48,562
Huh, I tried the MA900 recently... Didn't really know much about them before trying them, I did like them but wasn't floored. Didn't have anything useful to compare them to either tho. They were certainly comfortable, the very obviously angled drivers and that weird slot they cut into the cups seem odd at first but they're very lightweight. I didn't even realize they had 70mm drivers at the time.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #10,728 of 48,562
Quote:
Got ittt. I thought as much a bit after I asked the question. Yeah, I remember you saying that. What about something non-dedicated?

Like I said before, SRD-series transformer boxes come with most of the cheaper Stax setups, and speaker amps (usually in the form of integrated receivers) are everywhere.

Kind of bulky and kludgy for just a headphone amplification system, but it works.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #10,730 of 48,562
Played some Blops2 with some etymotic er4p's w/ mixamp. Going to give it a shot for a week and use them exclusively. It's been a few months since I actually used them and kinda forgot how much I liked them for certain types of music. 

Oh and on the topic of the K1000, someone here should grab the Sony "version" of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PFRV1-Personal-Speaker-Headphones/dp/B0017IJALY
The only place that I saw that had demos of these was at Fry's but they were always either broken or some ****** would have already pushed in the dust cover.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #10,731 of 48,562
I tried swapping the pads on the q701/annies. And the annies still sounded noticeably fuller and warmer than the q701 with the q701 pads. I'm not sure who said these were just repackaged q701's but it would be hard mistake one another side by side in any state. Even days apart I could blindly label the q701 and annies regardless of which pads are used imo. They're similar sounding ofc but, at least my pairs, are distinctly different. And for my tastes the annies are a true upgrade to the q701. It's worth noting that I preferred the q701's with the annies memory pads to the stock q701 pads, but I wouldn't pay more than 40 usd for them.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #10,732 of 48,562
You should post that comparison on the Annie thread, so people know what's up.

Thanks again for the comparison.

So looks like you Q owners need to start looking for some memory foam AKG pads.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #10,733 of 48,562
Hey guys, just got a new E09k to go with my DT990 Pro's (250 ohm). They are running off a DSS2. Got a couple of questions about it.

I'm trying to work out the difference the amp is making. It is obviously louder, but the DSS2 was already able to get games and movies to a the loudest volume my ears could take. The headroom is now a lot bigger, but I'm not sure I need it.

I've tested it on Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and been viewing some movie trailers. Everything sounds essentially the same but with more volume available. For Mass Effect 3, the bass in terms of tightness and kick when you go through the mass relays sounds almost identical to me. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a relatively 'scientific' sound test I can use to see the difference between the DT990s amped and unamped because just playing games doesn't seem to be highlighting them to me. I'm being a bit picky because the amp was 110 pounds and if there isn't much difference I'll probably send it back.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #10,734 of 48,562
Games dont highlight the difference the way music does. Youre already playing in virtual surround which smooths over the sound signature and hides defects.

If you plan on using them for music, they will be worthwhile as long as you have a dac. If you only use It for gaming and dont need the extra volume (like when using an external mic), then you may As well save your money if you dont see yourself needing it for music ever.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #10,736 of 48,562
Quote:
Games dont highlight the difference the way music does. Youre already playing in virtual surround which smooths over the sound signature and hides defects.

If you plan on using them for music, they will be worthwhile as long as you have a dac.

Cheers - Not planning on using them for music, just movies and games.

If I plug the DT990 straight into my macbook is is really obvious it needs the E09k, as the volume it can get to is pretty weak! But I'm not planning on doing that :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #10,737 of 48,562
You shouldn't be plugging in the E9K to the Macbook directly. You should be using a DAC, just FYI.

As long as you're happy with how you use it, don't worry about anything else.

Damn, so after all that neglect I've been giving the HE-400, I decided to use them today. You can definitely tell the bass is fuller than the K702 Annies. It makes it hard to give up for music, as I mostly listen to bass heavy genres... ARGH! I thought I'd be willing to part with it, but they keep surprising me. I'm gonna wait until I get the X1 and then decide if I'll give the HE-400 up or not.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #10,739 of 48,562
It's warm. Absolutely. It sounds like a much more open HD650, with more energy and sparkle, but noticeably warmer than the Q701 which was already a slightly warm headphone. Not HE-400 warm, but close. If I could say anything, I'd say it's the most neutral/balanced headphone I've owned that favors warmth.

If a song is bassy, the Annie will fill out that bass just fine. The HE-400 will romanticize the bass a little, while the Annie will be more true to it.

The mids are not comparable... at all. The Annie's mids walk all over the HE-400's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back