Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #10,712 of 48,568
Quote:
AKG 1000 says hello. 

Reading through the Beyer T90 thread that is one picky ass headphone. Some amps give it bass, some take it all away, sometimes it is K701, sometimes it is worse then a T70, sometimes better. Having to have a specific setup for just one headphone outside of a electrostatic just sounds like a pain in the rump and I am far to lazy for that, as much as I love the look of the T90. Hope in 2013/14 Beyer wakes the hell up and produces a proper big brother to the DTseries.
L3000.gif

Good to know about that Beyer. Def would not be interested in that. Yeah, that's right. I couldn't remember what it was. AKG 1000. While I'm on the subject of AKG, since I always tout their universal IEM, I think I found a better one. The Sennheiser IE800. That freq response is INSANE, especially for a 7mm driver!

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #10,713 of 48,568
Quote:
Yay, cant wait to hear your impressions.

I'm completely new to all this, but I'll try my best to give it a go. I'm nothing like Mad when reviewing/giving impressions for headphones. I'm excited too though :) I can't wait! I'll get to pair it up with my receiver, which I recently just turned down the DSP setting on the Action Game DSP, which helped with reverb.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #10,714 of 48,568
AKG 1000 says hello. 

Reading through the Beyer T90 thread that is one picky ass headphone. Some amps give it bass, some take it all away, sometimes it is K701, sometimes it is worse then a T70, sometimes better. Having to have a specific setup for just one headphone outside of a electrostatic just sounds like a pain in the rump and I am far to lazy for that, as much as I love the look of the T90. Hope in 2013/14 Beyer wakes the hell up and produces a proper big brother to the DTseries.:L3000:

When I first read impressions on the T90, they sounded like something I'd want. Then the impressions started going all over the place. That made me not want them at all. I have zero desire to try them now. Looks like Beyer is at it again with driver variation on the same headphone. It's annoying. I wanted the well balanced, slightly bass light DT770/600. Instead, I got the opposite. I don't wanna play the lottery with my headphones, so I'm kind of done with Beyer. At least their 990s have been pretty consistent.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #10,715 of 48,568
Quote:
Good to know about that Beyer. Def would not be interested in that. Yeah, that's right. I couldn't remember what it was. AKG 1000. While I'm on the subject of AKG, since I always tout their universal IEM, I think I found a better one. The Sennheiser IE800. That freq response is INSANE, especially for a 7mm driver!

I know you don't like them but at 1000 dollars I would buy a custom. That is insane for a IEM I would be afraid to even breath around. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #10,716 of 48,568
Quote:
I know you don't like them but at 1000 dollars I would buy a custom. That is insane for a IEM I would be afraid to even breath around. 

Never will buy a custom, lol. It is insane. The price will drop with time.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #10,717 of 48,568
I forgot about the K1000. I so wanna try them, but I'd never wear it around people, lol.

That natural crossfeed plus humongous soundstage... so wanna try it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #10,718 of 48,568
Yup, but the problem with that is, the speakers would blend with each other. I guess that's why most headphones come with a seal, lol.

Pretty sure he was just being sarcastic and describing typical headphone construction, which is what you were doing as well (knowingly or otherwise). There's only so much you can do with two ear sized drivers and the space between two ears tho, as compared to the drivers, tweeters, bass ports, subs etc etc in a speaker setup that you can spread all around a room.

Point is, at the most basic levels headphones are just speakers hanging off your head, speakers severely constrained by the laws of physics... Less of a wallet drainer tho!

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #10,719 of 48,568
Two speakers hovering over your ears is basically what the K1000 is. You can try a ghetto version of this by holding two desktop speakers next to your ears. Itsa very good effect. That natural crossfeed makes listening a lot less fatiguing than when listening to headphones that are playing sounds on just one ear. It hurts, really. That's another reason why Dolby Headphone is so pleasing to me. You get that virtual crossfeed.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #10,720 of 48,568
I would try the k1000 and Jecklin floats as odd as they both are I wouldn't do it in public.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #10,721 of 48,568
Quote:
I would try the k1000 and Jecklin floats as odd as they both are I wouldn't do it in public.

They're not meant for public wear, lol.

Quote:
I forgot about the K1000. I so wanna try them, but I'd never wear it around people, lol.

That natural crossfeed plus humongous soundstage... so wanna try it.

Meee too.
Quote:
Pretty sure he was just being sarcastic and describing typical headphone construction, which is what you were doing as well (knowingly or otherwise). There's only so much you can do with two ear sized drivers and the space between two ears tho, as compared to the drivers, tweeters, bass ports, subs etc etc in a speaker setup that you can spread all around a room.

Point is, at the most basic levels headphones are just speakers hanging off your head, speakers severely constrained by the laws of physics... Less of a wallet drainer tho!

Idk, lol. That's right.
Quote:
Two speakers hovering over your ears is basically what the K1000 is. You can try a ghetto version of this by holding two desktop speakers next to your ears. Itsa very good effect. That natural crossfeed makes listening a lot less fatiguing than when listening to headphones that are playing sounds on just one ear. It hurts, really. That's another reason why Dolby Headphone is so pleasing to me. You get that virtual crossfeed.

Yup, it is, lol. Huh, interesting. I'm gonna read about crossfeed, lol. EDIT: 10seconds later... Oh. Pretty simple stuff, lol. *goes to read about AKG k1000

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #10,722 of 48,568
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-268-iems-compared-visang-vs-k1-added-01-03-13#post_6492059 Maybe this is the most comprehensive list there is for IEM's, lol. It even has the K3003! Lol.

So comprehensive...and yet no mention of the Stax S-001 or S-002 systems (or the SR-003 standalone IEM set meant to plug into Pro bias Stax desktop amps), argh. (Then again, those kind of stretch the definition of "IEM" a bit...you'd understand when you see them. Much bigger than any other IEM sets I know of.)

Quote:
You know, there should be a headphone gaming guide that is IEM specific, seeing as how this is Full-size (mainly) specific, as well as one with STAX.

You wouldn't need to look any further than this particular guide if MLE and I could sort out the amplification issue for the latter.

As for IEMs, all I know is that the EDGE Acoustics GX-400 is a rare case of an IEM marketed specifically for gaming, and that the in-line mic and volume adjustment is literally the only thing differentiating it from the Etymotic ER-4P it's based on.

Of course, there's also those Stax IEM setups I mentioned earlier, which have a reputation for soundstage well beyond most IEMs. As for how it compares to full-size headphones, I can't say yet without an audition.

Quote:

The only thing that kills the appeal of those "earspeaker" designs is that the natural crossfeed combined with the drivers being perpendicular instead of parallel to your ears would make any binaural/HRTF-mixed sources utterly useless. That means no Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D Headphone for me, and that just won't do.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #10,723 of 48,568
Quote:

So comprehensive...and yet no mention of the Stax S-001 or S-002 systems (or the SR-003 standalone IEM set meant to plug into Pro bias Stax desktop amps), argh. (Then again, those kind of stretch the definition of "IEM" a bit...you'd understand when you see them. Much bigger than any other IEM sets I know of.)

You wouldn't need to look any further than this particular guide if MLE and I could sort out the amplification issue for the latter.

As for IEMs, all I know is that the EDGE Acoustics GX-400 is a rare case of an IEM marketed specifically for gaming, and that the in-line mic and volume adjustment is literally the only thing differentiating it from the Etymotic ER-4P it's based on.

Of course, there's also those Stax IEM setups I mentioned earlier, which have a reputation for soundstage well beyond most IEMs. As for how it compares to full-size headphones, I can't say yet without an audition.

The only thing that kills the appeal of those "earspeaker" designs is that the natural crossfeed combined with the drivers being perpendicular instead of parallel to your ears would make any binaural/HRTF-mixed sources utterly useless. That means no Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D Headphone for me, and that just won't do.

I know I know, lol. In due time I'm sure. I shall do some research! lol. Well, then what's the use of the earspeakers then?

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #10,724 of 48,568
Quote:
I know I know, lol. In due time I'm sure. I shall do some research! lol. Well, then what's the use of the earspeakers then?

Such earspeaker designs were designed with conventional music listening in mind. Most music tracks are mixed with stereo speakers in mind, so anyone who's primarily looking for a headphone that can replicate that experience would be more satisfied with the earspeaker designs like the AKG K1000 or a Stax Sigma.

In other news, damn, do I wish I had $535 right now. See what I mean when I say that dedicated Stax amps aren't cheap?

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #10,725 of 48,568
Quote:

Such earspeaker designs were designed with conventional music listening in mind. Most music tracks are mixed with stereo speakers in mind, so anyone who's primarily looking for a headphone that can replicate that experience would be more satisfied with the earspeaker designs like the AKG K1000 or a Stax Sigma.

In other news, damn, do I wish I had $535 right now. See what I mean when I say that dedicated Stax amps aren't cheap?

Got ittt. I thought as much a bit after I asked the question. Yeah, I remember you saying that. What about something non-dedicated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back